Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2022, 10:36   #1

BVI - Sailing trip

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and looking for feedback on an upcoming sailing trip at the BVIs. This is the second time we do this (2 couples, 3 kids - I know).
The first time, I had an instructional skipper looking over my shoulder, but this time I am doing this myself.

I've some good sailing experience and completed some additional training (ASA and NauticEd certifications).

Last time, our instructional skipper said I was ready to do this on my own, but it was our first time at the BVIs, so it made sense to have him with us.

We are chartering a Lagoon 450F.

I would like to get your advice/review on my itinerary (see below).

https://bit.ly/3nw6pV0

This is the file I'm using. The plan is to add all the additional required nav info by tomorrow (07/01).

I appreciate your comments!
alex.ellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 15:27   #2

Re: BVI - Sailing trip

My experience in the BVIs is to pick your “must see/do”. Then when you get there decide what order your are going to see/do these things. We also leave time to see/do nothing. With no schedule you get to relax, which is why you are there (imho).
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 17:30   #3

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Looks really good to me. We've done about 10 charters in the BVI. One thing to leave VERY flexible: The wreck of the Rhone. We've been snorkeling on the wreck, again, about 10 times. Visibility ranged dramatically. The last time we went, we purposely picked a day where the previous couple of days had been very calm. WOW. What a difference. We could see the ENTIRE wreck, snorkeling. Down over 100 feet.

With kids, who may or may not be comfortable snorkeling: Find a good quiet place the first day out, where they can stand. We usually go to the Bight first, and there's a surprisingly decent little reef up near the pier. Good place to practice. With that in mind, the caves can be challenging, as can the Indians.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 22:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
My experience in the BVIs is to pick your “must see/do”. Then when you get there decide what order your are going to see/do these things. We also leave time to see/do nothing. With no schedule you get to relax, which is why you are there (imho).
True - thank you.
My crew wants to sail and see things, but I agree with you. I want to relax and not to become work.
I appreciate the feedback.
Old 30-06-2022, 22:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Looks really good to me. We've done about 10 charters in the BVI. One thing to leave VERY flexible: The wreck of the Rhone. We've been snorkeling on the wreck, again, about 10 times. Visibility ranged dramatically. The last time we went, we purposely picked a day where the previous couple of days had been very calm. WOW. What a difference. We could see the ENTIRE wreck, snorkeling. Down over 100 feet.

With kids, who may or may not be comfortable snorkeling: Find a good quiet place the first day out, where they can stand. We usually go to the Bight first, and there's a surprisingly decent little reef up near the pier. Good place to practice. With that in mind, the caves can be challenging, as can the Indians.
Thanks for the tip... I will see what I can do to plan to arrive at the Rhone after a few calm days.
All kids are comfortable snorkeling, but testing things is definitely a good call!
Old 01-07-2022, 15:52   #6

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

We've sailed BVI twice in the last 15 months, and your itinerary looks good. If you go to either Cooper Island or the Baths, arrive early to insure you get a mooring ball.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 16:09   #7

Download the Boaty Ball app and you can reserve a mooring ball at the popular spots.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 16:26   #8

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I’ve chartered - (from Barney’s TMM Tortola base) - many times with my wife and many students I took every other year. I’d add 2 suggestions to the great ones already mentioned. Everybody thought it was fun each morning when I’d ask a new person to point to the island they’d like to visit, as long as we’d not already been there. The other idea is to check with TMM to see if any of the companies have a flotilla heading to Anegada while you’re there. Most will not let you go alone the first time, but it’s worth going, having the lobster dinner on the beach and snorkeling on the other side.
Have fun!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 16:30   #9

Boat: Leopard 45

My first stop is always on the South side of Peter at Key Bay. It's a nice secluded well protected bay away from the crowd of either little harbor or Great Harbor.
It looks like you plan on spending a lot of nights on mooring balls. You mention med mooring near Willy T or Treasure point. Not sure either one offers good area for Med mooring. Lots of mooring balls around Willy T. If you want to anchor off Jost VanDyke then White bay. If you want a mooring ball in Great Harbor it's best to get there before 2PM or all the balls will be claimed. You can reserve mooring balls in advance most places on line a day in advance. If you plan to spend the night at Cooper you should reserve in advance everything is gone by 2 PM. You'll be fine. Just bes sure to train your deck hands in advance of their first approach on a mooring ball.
have a good sail!
cheers,
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 17:11   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
If you want to anchor off Jost VanDyke then White bay. If you want a mooring ball in Great Harbor it's best to get there before 2PM or all the balls will be claimed. You can reserve mooring balls in advance most places on line a day in advance.
White bay on Jost is known for it's bad holding and zoo like atmosphere. Not a good place for a "new to charter" skipper to test his skills. And someone else would have to confirm, but I think that anchorage is redlined by some charter companies. If you can't get a ball in Great harbor, then scoot around to Little Bay or Diamond Cay. Both have moorings and choice of restaurants. Easy to cab over to White Bay for a daytime bar crawl then cab back to your anchorage to enjoy a dinner at one of the restaurants or eat aboard.

Also the mooring ball reservations have to be done at 7am the morning of, not a day in advance. (Unless you pay a rather expensive app fee for the privilege of advance reservation) And if you don't have hi speed internet on the boat you might end up empty handed. This depends on time of year. The busy season leaves you with less odds of scoring a mooring in the more popular harbors.

Buy a cruising guide to read up on places you'd like to visit. I highly recommend Anegada
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
We've sailed BVI twice in the last 15 months, and your itinerary looks good. If you go to either Cooper Island or the Baths, arrive early to insure you get a mooring ball.
Thank you!
Old 02-07-2022, 08:26   #12

Boat: FP Astrea 42 #164

All good suggestions. After 10yrs of annual BVI chartering (mostly with TMM), I'd echo the suggestion of having a more fluid itinerary. If your crew is enjoying an anchorage, leave time to stay an extra night here and there.

We started like you, bringing new guests each year and found ourselves feeling the need to show them EVERYTHING, constantly moving. We REALLY started having fun when we slowed down, and showed folks the 'greatest hits'.

Just my thoughts...

Your agenda is packed. If you're sailing, which I hope you are, you may struggle to get all that in. The tradewinds and protected sailing is so good, we're always shocked to see all the boats motoring all week?!? (are they in a hurry to get everywhere?)

Although Anegada is cool, it consumes some significant time on a 1 week charter. Maybe stay longer in North Sound of Virgin Gorda? LOTS to see there or explore VG? If you do Anegada, departing, sail straight to Jost and skip the north side of Tortola.

I'm not sure I'd agree with @gadagirl's White Bay (WB) observation. Yes, from ~ 1200 - 1500 the daytrippers are in-force at Soggy & Hendo's, but they are almost all gone by 1600, leaving the beach all to you, both late afternoon and most of the morning. Quick hop to WB if you stay at Little Jost. Holding is great in the sand. That said, plan on ariving at White Bay 0900 - 1100 for plenty of room to anchor, stress free. IF you arrive early, you could practice your anchoring without being the 'show'. We often stayed 2 nights at WB and would walk over to Foxy's for dinner one night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
White bay on Jost is known for it's bad holding and zoo like atmosphere. Not a good place for a "new to charter" skipper to test his skills. And someone else would have to confirm, but I think that anchorage is redlined by some charter companies.
Funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I’ve chartered - (from Barney’s TMM Tortola base) - many times with my wife and many students I took every other year. I’d add 2 suggestions to the great ones already mentioned. Everybody thought it was fun each morning when I’d ask a new person to point to the island they’d like to visit, as long as we’d not already been there. The other idea is to check with TMM to see if any of the companies have a flotilla heading to Anegada while you’re there. Most will not let you go alone the first time, but it’s worth going, having the lobster dinner on the beach and snorkeling on the other side.
Have fun!
Thank you. I've shared the itinerary with them and they said it looks good, so I am assuming they are okay with us going that way.
I will check if there are other people going... it would be fun to be in a flotilla.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkydrum View Post
All good suggestions. After 10yrs of annual BVI chartering (mostly with TMM), I'd echo the suggestion of having a more fluid itinerary. If your crew is enjoying an anchorage, leave time to stay an extra night here and there.

We started like you, bringing new guests each year and found ourselves feeling the need to show them EVERYTHING, constantly moving. We REALLY started having fun when we slowed down, and showed folks the 'greatest hits'.

Just my thoughts...

Your agenda is packed. If you're sailing, which I hope you are, you may struggle to get all that in. The tradewinds and protected sailing is so good, we're always shocked to see all the boats motoring all week?!? (are they in a hurry to get everywhere?)

Although Anegada is cool, it consumes some significant time on a 1 week charter. Maybe stay longer in North Sound of Virgin Gorda? LOTS to see there or explore VG? If you do Anegada, departing, sail straight to Jost and skip the north side of Tortola.

I'm not sure I'd agree with @gadagirl's White Bay (WB) observation. Yes, from ~ 1200 - 1500 the daytrippers are in-force at Soggy & Hendo's, but they are almost all gone by 1600, leaving the beach all to you, both late afternoon and most of the morning. Quick hop to WB if you stay at Little Jost. Holding is great in the sand. That said, plan on ariving at White Bay 0900 - 1100 for plenty of room to anchor, stress free. IF you arrive early, you could practice your anchoring without being the 'show'. We often stayed 2 nights at WB and would walk over to Foxy's for dinner one night.
Awesome... Thank you for the tips.
I'm actually more like you - I believe in taking my time and RELAXING.
I will share this page with my crew and see what they think.
Truly appreciate the insights and your perspective.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:37   #15

Hey everyone!
Wanted to send a quick thanks to all the insight and good info you shared.
Really appreciated!

Tags
BVI, sail, sailing