Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2023, 10:10   #1

BVI Weather in July

Hello!

We've got some free time in July and are thinking of chartering a small sailboat (30ft) out of Tortola, for about a week from July 15 - 24 or so.

What's the weather like for sailing, and are restaurants and orther facilities, like marinas for water and fuel still open that late into the year? August is shut down from what I can tell.

Thanks!
pbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 10:22   #2

Boat: Caliber 28
Re: BVI Weather in July

I've done many charters in the BVI in July and August. Weather was great, a little hot obviously but there's a breeze for that. My experience has been that almost everything is open until later into August. Used to be less crowded also, not sure what it's like these days.
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 11:42   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Years ago the BVI, and many other Caribbean destinations, would have a hard shutdown during the summer. But that has changed in recent years and most places, including the BVI, remain open for business for much of the summer. On a charter when anchoring or mooring out the lack of wind doesn't matter much; but marinas are no fun at all without air conditioning.

The sailing is going to be easy with light trades. Depending upon the week in question and your tolerance for slow boat speeds, you might find yourself motoring more often than not.

I love it in July!
Old 14-04-2023, 12:24   #4

Thanks for the info! Any suggestions for a charter company or route for about 5 days?
Old 14-04-2023, 12:33   #5

Boat: Seaward 22

Chartered multiple times in July. Each time had at least 1 tropical wave come through. Most wind I had was gusts into low 40's. Squally conditions are the norm. That said, I would charter again in July.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 12:41   #6

The good news is that most charter boats nowadays are bigger or have 2 hulls, so your 30ish boat is going to be quite a bit cheaper. I haven't been following the 2nd Tier market, but see that you posted where I'd have recommended you check (on TravelTalk) anyway as that is where you'd get the most current information.

Itinerary for 5 days is tough without knowing more - do you prefer anchorages with restaurants/bars ashore or empty places. Do you require mooring balls or would you anchor? Are there any locations you absolutely *must* see?
Old 14-04-2023, 13:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The good news is that most charter boats nowadays are bigger or have 2 hulls, so your 30ish boat is going to be quite a bit cheaper. I haven't been following the 2nd Tier market, but see that you posted where I'd have recommended you check (on TravelTalk) anyway as that is where you'd get the most current information.

Itinerary for 5 days is tough without knowing more - do you prefer anchorages with restaurants/bars ashore or empty places. Do you require mooring balls or would you anchor? Are there any locations you absolutely *must* see?
We're more interested in the sailing than marina hopping if that makes sense. We're comfortable anchoring, no problem there. Having access to a restaurant every night is not required. For must sees, were not big snorkellers, but would probably enjoy a shallow reef, otherwise, a good anchorage, or something to see on land would be good.

What's the 2nd Tier market..?
Old 15-04-2023, 04:22   #8

The 2nd tier market/companies are those who charter boats that have been phased out of the 1st tier market. Those are the new charter boats. After 3+ years in charter many have been ridden hard and show cosmetic issues. But with some good maintenance and TLC they make perfectly acceptable charter boats. And the price tag difference to the new boats is significant.

Snorkeling a reef:

Cooper Island has Cistern Point, a very nice reef next to the anchorage.
The Indians have mooring balls for snorkeling/diving
The Caves at the Bight on Norman are worth a trip
North shore of Anegada has a huge reef not too far from the beach
The Dog Islands have mooring balls for day trips/snorkeling

All those locations are located at, or close to, the most common itinerary stops.

I'd not make a direct itinerary for 5 days. You might not get off the dock the first day. The weather might not want to play along. You might have a hangover or love an anchorage so much that you want to spend an extra day. And so on.

Just put together a list of destinations that you want, sprinkled around the island. The first night's destination should be relatively close, as should the last destination because of sailing/travel time and the constraints the charter company makes on returning times.

Here are a couple of destinations worth considering:

The Bight, Norman. Lots of mooring balls, protected, close to Nanny Cay, restaurant ashore and at the Willie T's floating bar. Not recommended for a Sunday (local's day/night)

Cooper Island. Several mooring balls, close to Nanny Cay and to the Baths. Food ashore, calm at night, good snorkeling

The Baths. Busy, just for a day stop

Savannah Bay and Nail Bay on Virgin Gorda. No moorings balls, nothing ashore. Beautiful. Savannah might be redlined by the charter company, check first. Only good in settled conditions.

North Sound. Several anchorages and the only place to be if a north swell sets in. Mooring balls at Leverick Bay, Prickly Pear off the Sand Box, Bitter End, and Saba Rock. Also numerous places next to the mooring fields to anchor. I can spend a week there, changing the anchoring place each night.

Anegada. Beautiful island, but perhaps too far to include in a 5-day inventory.

Guana Island/Monkey Point. Nice snorkeling, nothing ashore. Some mooring balls, but mainly anchoring. Island is private, but as with all the BVI the beach up to the top mark of the high-water line is public.

Diamond Cay, Jost van Dyke. Mooring balls, so-so holding when anchoring. Foxy's taboo ashore for dinner and the best beach bar, B-Line, reachable only by dinghy.

Great harbour & White Bay, Jost. Home of the painkiller, good beach, lots of action and food and drink. Take a mooring, holding sucks there.

Cane Garden Bay. Can be wonderful or miserable during the day due to it being a destination for cruise ship guests. If there's no cruise ship in town I'd go there. Protected by a reef and with lots of restaurant and bar selection ashore. Live music at the Elm by the Elmtones is the best music in the BVI (IMNSHO)

Soper's Hole/West End. Just moorings and only a destination to go ashore, do some shopping for groceries and visit Omar's Fusion for dinner.
Old 21-04-2023, 14:31   #9

Boat: Hunter 38

@Zanshin gave you a great run down on the destinations. There are few charter companies with boats in the size you are asking about.

I had a good experience with Conch Charters out of Fort Burt Marina on Tortola. They are second tier and have a 32ft monohull. You will have to go with a much bigger boat if you want a generator to have A/C at mooring ball/anchor. They have a 36ft mono with generator and A/C.

Honestly if you can both handle a 32 you can handle a 36.

Have fun! It's easy sailing and easy navigation. A great trip.
Kngunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, weather