Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 16:50   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
BVIs in Early June ???

So I'm a very lucky guy because my Fiancé has suggested chartering in the BVIs for our honeymoon!!!! We've chartered in the San Juans and sail frequently in the PNW but this will be our first time sailing in the Caribbean. Needless to say, we are both VERY EXCITED!

So I've gone through all the planning (or so I thought) and have it all planned out. I put a Beneteau on hold with Conch Charters in Tortola. I was about ready to buy plane tickets today and a friend informed me that Hurricane season starts June 1. He doesn't have any first hand experience and my assumption has always been that the heart of the season was around September.

We'll be on the boat from the 5th to the 14th of June. Am I good to pull the trigger on this one or should I take precaution due to being the first week or two of "hurricane season?"

Thanks all!
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:40   #2

Boat: Hunter H37C, Hunter H23
Thumbs up Re: BVIs in early June???

I would get travel insurance incase something "pops up" but I'm headed to STT 15 Aug for a week before I put a boat up at the end of the charter season. Been down to USVI and BVI quite a few times in Jun-July and have not had any problems weatherwise (at least not of the "H" kind.) But that does not mean it can't happen, hence the insurance. Better rates in early Jun as well

Mark
markprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:54   #3

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: BVIs in early June???

Just found out about the need for insurance myself.

About to charter a Seawind in the Whitsundays Islands for a week early March. Being local and in middle of cyclone season doesn't worry me. Rain is good as cools things down and not cold and plenty of notice. Area is still good in up to 30 knot winds.

Seems all charter companies do not refund (from their charter terms) if they cancel your trip if a cyclone pops up. They recommend you spend another $250 to purchase a travel insurance company to cover you. Once they have your money they will not give it back even if they cancel your trip.

I don't like it but seems thats the way it is. besides rates are good this time of year and plenty of choice. Can't complain too much when get 7 days for price of 4 at off season rates.

23. Force Majeure
The Operator is not liable to the Charterer for any claim arising under this agreement in contract, tort, statute or otherwise, due to the performance of any obligation accepted by the Operator that is prevented, delayed or interfered for any reason beyond the Operator's control as a result of force majeure including without limitation by any act of war or terrorism, strikes or other industrial action, accident, breakdown, fire, cyclones, lightning, winds, storms or other acts of God, acts of governments or government authorities or any events of a similar nature beyond the reasonable control of the Operator.
13. Recall
Operator reserves the right to recall the Boat at any time if the weather is considered by the Operator to be a threat to safe operation or in the Operator's opinion the Boat is being improperly or incorrectly sailed, managed or controlled so as to imperil the Boat, other vessels or property or life. A recall may include but is not limited to a recall to the Operator's base or an instruction to proceed to a haven deemed to be safe for the prevailing conditions. During a recall the Charterer may be required to vacate the Boat depending on conditions. The Operator shall not be liable for any lost time, expense or losses to personal goods of property due to recall and the Operator is not liable to repay any charter fees. The Charterer is advised to take out the appropriate insurance cover for such events.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:59   #4

Boat: Charter
Re: BVIs in early June???

You aren't very likely to see a hurricane that early in the season. I was told they've never had one before July 1. However, you might see plenty of storm weather. We were there two years ago in mid-June, and had at least one squall every day, and one day we were hit five times with drenching gusty blinding downpours. It was plenty hot and humid, too.

In spite of all that, it was still a great trip. We learned to sail with confidence in stormy weather! And it was half the price of a trip in March.
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:41   #5

Thanks for the insight! Just bought the plane tickets (with the trip insurance) an am looking into insurance options on the charter.

Thanks again everyone! It's going to be a great trip!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: BVIs in Early June ???

June's fine... maybe the 100yr storm but 99/1 against....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04   #7

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: BVIs in Early June ???

Chartered there three times in June through the years. All good and great diving and snorkling. We had the best vacation ever chartering June of 1993. You will welcome the occasional rain squalls as it is hot and muggy.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:04   #8

Boat: L42

We chartered the first week of June last year and it was great, The biggest problem we faced was a severe lack of wind. It was like a lake all week. Sailing sucked, but the snorkeling was incredible, no waves to stir anything up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	week 22 2011-05-27 154.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	36777   Click image for larger version

Name:	week 22 2011-05-27 296.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	36778  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01803 - Copy.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	36779  
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27   #9

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
Thanks for the insight! Just bought the plane tickets (with the trip insurance) an am looking into insurance options on the charter.

Thanks again everyone! It's going to be a great trip!
June is usually a great month. I hope it is this year as I'll be there this year, in june, on my boat which is in the Conch fleet so maybe I'll see you there.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:37   #10

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

June is a great month in the BVI. Even if something pops up, it will likely be just a tropical depression or storm, and blow through in a day. We've been in June and it's just plain great.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I've been in July once, October twice and November once and never had a hurricane.

Never bought trip insurance for any of those trips. And if I recall correctly, there is no refund of funds (we used Moorings/Sunsail), but I believe they will give you credit for lost time for a future trip. If you did have to come back to base though, I believe you then become responsible for hotel costs. I think there is also the option of extending your trip if the boat is available and days were lost. Not sure how that works with Conch, but it might be worth talking to them about it. Perhaps they also offer insurance through them.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:36   #12

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

check out the BVI forum www.traveltalkonline.com

Many charter boat owners and charterers there. I think they can reccomend a good trip insurance company that is very competitive. Are you flying to SJU to EIS or to STT and ferrying over to Tortola? We've done 4 June BVI bareboat charters, great time of year. Cane Garden Bay Music Festival is Memorial Day weekend and a lot of fun.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47   #13

Thanks for all the good advice! Really excited for the trip!....can't wait!

We'll be on the Beny 343 from June 6-15. Should be all good to go.... Just need to set up a float plan (which I've been researching with great results).
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33   #14

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
Thanks for all the good advice! Really excited for the trip!....can't wait!

We'll be on the Beny 343 from June 6-15. Should be all good to go.... Just need to set up a float plan (which I've been researching with great results).
If you research the crap out of it and overplan the trip enough you won't even need to go. And then if you go anyway you will just be checking boxes the whole week to stay on your "float plan."

Just my opinion FWIW!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 16:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior

If you research the crap out of it and overplan the trip enough you won't even need to go. And then if you go anyway you will just be checking boxes the whole week to stay on your "float plan."

Just my opinion FWIW!
Ha ha..... Well said. My "plan" will be to have a ver loose plan dependent upon weather and what I fell like that day.