Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 07:28   #31

Re: BVI's without the tacky bar scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I don't mind one or two nights of shore excursions if they are an authentic local experience (eg Bloody Mary's and Le Ficus in FP were amazing) but seeing a bunch of bro's acting like they're still in college on a spring break trip doesn't appeal to me. If I'm wrong, please correct me so I don't pass over what could be an amazing location.
On our charter, our only interactions with crowds were Leverick Bay (afternoon/evening 'pirate' show with Michael Beans - G-rated - people brought their kids), and Anegada, where after dinner there was dancing and a limbo contest.

There were of course many other bars (some famous) we could have also visited... but we didn't, and there was no mooring field or anchorage we used where we couldn't have a quiet evening sitting out on the boat. It's not like you have to moor right in front of a disco or roadhouse.

And I don't recall running into any group of offensively wild partiers. Everyone was pretty chill. Not dead; fun was had. But no animosity or annoyance.

I know that party scenes often feature prominently in destination ads, but at no time did we feel we were simply sailing from bar to bar.

BVIs are an amazing cruising destination, with many options. We enjoyed it massively.
Old 27-06-2020, 07:49   #32

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Larry, what time of year where you in the BVI's? I don't think I can find a single article/blog/video about chartering in the BVI's without reference to the hopping beach bar scene. I'm around people all the time...I go sailing to get away.

I don't mind one or two nights of shore excursions if they are an authentic local experience (eg Bloody Mary's and Le Ficus in FP were amazing) but seeing a bunch of bro's acting like they're still in college on a spring break trip doesn't appeal to me. If I'm wrong, please correct me so I don't pass over what could be an amazing location.
January 2020

Only place with a crowd was Pussers west end Saturday night. There was a band. Thought the music was good. I did not go to Foxy's in 2020. I was always back on the boat by 9 or 10.

IMEO BVI is a great place for line of sight sailing. Gain some experience. It's small with easy short hops. Easy to get supplies. Very popular charter location. For good food and partying not so great.

FYI I spent years on many beaches in SE Asia. BVI is a big snooze in comparison. Nice sailing tho
Old 27-06-2020, 08:09   #33

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We’ve lived aboard in the Caribbean for four seasons. BVI is T shirt shops and beach bars. Prices for food can be excessive. We have stopped going there for these reasons and difficulties with officialdom. Look into Guadeloupe, Martinique, Antigua, Grenada for charter and diving. These places also have excellent eating options and shore excursion tours. If you primarily want to dive and snorkel then Bonaire is fabulous and has accommodations with dive shops. There may be charters from Curaçao, only 20 miles from Bonaire. The sea front boardwalk at Kralendijk is the best shallow snorkeling we’ve ever experienced. You can charter in Martinique and cruise to Portsmouth harbor in Dominica. Excellent hiking on the national parks trails and dive with Fabian at the PAYS pavilion at Portsmouth. Both Guadeloupe and Martinique have excellent French food and tours with many anchorages and dive sites.
+1 With my personal caveat that I find the formerly French islands far more friendly and with better food (restaurants and groceries) than the formerly British/US islands. ~Alan
Old 27-06-2020, 15:44   #34

Boat: C-Dory 22 and actively sailing Other Peoples' Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfessor View Post
I'd add a vote for Grenada, Tabago Key, and Mustique. Not a lot of cruisers, great sailing. Also, I found the Spanish Virgin Islands to be a new favorite. Easy sails; Vieques was a great island as was Calibrita (one of the best beaches) and I didn't find it too touristy. Plus, it has the brightest bio-luminescent bays in the world which was truly amazing. That was probably the most touristy thing we did, but well worth it. The rest was spent snorkeling and sailing. You leave from Puerto Rico and the Spanish Virgins are part of the US, so no issues with passports, chartering, etc.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm very interested in the Spanish VI's now. We can fly round trip to San Juan for $200 and the islands look beautiful. Have to research the snorkeling. Any recommendations for a 7 day itinerary?

Off to youtube for research.....
Old 27-06-2020, 20:31   #35

Boat: C-Dory 22 and actively sailing Other Peoples' Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
If you want to avoid the crowd in the BVI there are lots of secluded anchorages. My suggestion ....
Jim
Thanks for the suggestions. Will look at these.
Closed Thread

Tags
BVI