Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 15:31   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Carib Cruising on 30’ with Atomic

Check out this guy he is just finishing his circumnavigation in a Vancouver 28.
yachtfathom.co.uk/
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 15:51   #17

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Sean was one of the little boat guys we met on our travels, originally in the Cook Islands as I remember. Had a friend who went from Lake Ontario to France and the Med, back across the Pond ending up in Victoria, BC with a wife and two daughters - all in an Ericson 29. I think we have gotten used to the idea you need a bigger boat to cruise and then complain that it costs too much.
Old 13-03-2019, 04:49   #18

Boat: Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
James Baldwin sailed around the world twice on a 28 foot Pearson and the second time with no engine at all.

Thanks. An inspiring story for sure!

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 04:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I don't see it as much of a problem. The sailing is good but you will find the fuel more costly and you will get poorer fuel economy than with diesel. If you are going to the Eastern Caribbean using the Thorny Path might be more problematic since you would need to refuel often to get to windward if you can't find suitable winds. We found several sub 30 foot boats almost completing circumnavigations in South Africa. Go for it.

Good information, inspiration, and motivation!

Old 13-03-2019, 05:11   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You might want to watch "the Adventures of Tarka" on You Tube. Guy with no experience flies to the Carib, buys a very cheap old Albin Vega 27 just 8 feet wide and goes for it. He then meets a girl who also hasn't sailed and the pair are off heading to Columbia after visiting lots of other islands.

Solo on a 30ft yacht, perfect size, everything is so much more affordable compared to a larger yacht. My sheets come from the chandlers odds rope bin. The small spare and still crisp working jib ฃ50 from e bay, ex day sailing keel boat. Owner wanted something more competitive to race with. It means trading your time searching and waiting rather than buy everything at West Marine at full price, but you have lots of time and fun to do.

Go, take the camera and let us know how you get on

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 05:57   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Sailon1
If Sean D'Epagnier went around the world in his Bristol 27 with no motor, I'm fairly certain you could make it in the Caribbean with your Pearson 30 w/an A4 motor. Sail more, motor less if you find you can't find fuel.

Bill O.
Just because Sean did that on a Bristol 27 doesn't mean someone else can sail the Caribbean on a Pearson 30.

The boat should be fine if it's in good shape but how about the Skipper?

Plus Sean appears to be an engineer type person and would be able to make needed repairs as the arise

He sailed this boat also. This is his B27. And Btw, the Bristol 27 is a Blue Water boat with just a few changes

Bristol27.com ยป Hull # – Alexandra
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 06:06   #22

Thank you all for your responses and lots of really
useful information--I'm taking notes!

Old 13-03-2019, 06:18   #23

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Just because Sean did that on a Bristol 27 doesn't mean someone else can sail the Caribbean on a Pearson 30.

The boat should be fine if it's in good shape but how about the Skipper?

Plus Sean appears to be an engineer type person and would be able to make needed repairs as the arise

He sailed this boat also. This is his B27. And Btw, the Bristol 27 is a Blue Water boat with just a few changes

Bristol27.com ยป Hull # – Alexandra
The OP wants to do the Caribbean not the sail around the world and the whole point in my comment was to get out there and do it. I don't think Sean had that much experience in ocean sailing before he picked up his boat and took off across the Pacific. While Sean is a smart guy and can figure things out, I'll again say he didn't start w/that much experience and has gained much in the years he's been sailing.

Don't know the OP, but he sounds capable enough to learn how to sail and maintain a boat (just like most of us have done). What better place to learn than the Caribbean vs. your first major passage of crossing the Pacific.

All I can suggest to the OP is read (books or are those passe?), there is a lot of good info out there to help you get a good jump start.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 06:34   #24

Quote:
The OP wants to do the Caribbean not the sail around the world and the whole point in my comment was to get out there and do it. I don't think Sean had that much experience in ocean sailing before he picked up his boat and took off across the Pacific. While Sean is a smart guy and can figure things out, I'll again say he didn't start w/that much experience and has gained much in the years he's been sailing.

Don't know the OP, but he sounds capable enough to learn how to sail and maintain a boat (just like most of us have done). What better place to learn than the Caribbean vs. your first major passage of crossing the Pacific.

All I can suggest to the OP is read (books or are those passe?), there is a lot of good info out there to help you get a good jump start.

Bill O.
I noticed the OP was from Toledo. Sailing in and around Toledo would be somewhat different than the Caribbean.

Also, boats with Atomic 4's sailed the Caribbean for many years before boats with diesels became standard

So I was thinking maybe the OP is somewhat new and inexperienced. Plus, I'm not a fan of the "just do it" advice when it comes to sailing old boats offshore.

Also, Sean's a singlehander like me so when we go offshore the only person we are endangering is ourselves
Old 13-03-2019, 06:46   #25

Thanks to both for the information and opinions!

Old 13-03-2019, 07:06   #26

Boat: Alberg 30

I'm planning a mostly solo circumnavigation in an Alberg 30 with a 6hp outboard. (a boat that James Baldwin refit for a previous owner)

Make sure you are comfortable with sailing in all types of weather, know how to reef down and sail in winds of 35 kts or more of wind, just in case. I think others have covered just about everything else. No worries on the atomic 4 it will work fine and if it doesn't you have a great sailing boat you should be able to sail it anywhere you want to go. Hope to see you out there.
Jason
jjernigan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 07:21   #27

Thanks, Jason, for the encouraging reply. I'll be getting more practice
this season, although 35 kt. winds on Lake Erie can be restrictive
depending on the wind direction!

Best of luck on your endeavors!
Bo

Old 13-03-2019, 07:22   #28

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I noticed the OP was from Toledo. Sailing in and around Toledo would be somewhat different than the Caribbean.

Also, boats with Atomic 4's sailed the Caribbean for many years before boats with diesels became standard

So I was thinking maybe the OP is somewhat new and inexperienced. Plus, I'm not a fan of the "just do it" advice when it comes to sailing old boats offshore.

Also, Sean's a singlehander like me so when we go offshore the only person we are endangering is ourselves

Sailing around Toledo would be fresh water and yes different than the saltwater encountered in the Caribbean.
I'm thinking you've never sailed the Great Lakes before and can assure you you can get your butt kicked there as well. I grew up in Michigan and would never underestimate what any of these bodies of water/mother nature could throw at you.

Also picking up a boat there, it may be in better shape for it's age than one sitting in saltwater down in the tropics so major plus there.

Nothing against A4s and consider them a good motor. Had several boats with A4s and usually fuel tank capacity was only 16-20 gal.. Not much range w/limited fuel even if one carries jerry cans. So sail more, motor less.

Obviously, its a good idea to sail and fix up the boat appropriately before you head out. The OP will gain much experience handling the boat through Lake Erie, the Erie Canal, the Hudson, etc., etc. before he even leaves the US. As the OP uses the boat more, then they figure out what other equipment and upgrades are needed for the boat.

Similar to you not being a fan of "just do it" (hopefully now qualified), one could have issue of your statement that you are only endangering yourself when single handling if the CG (or others) needs to come save your bacon.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 07:54   #29

Quote:
Similar to you not being a fan of "just do it" (hopefully now qualified), one could have issue of your statement that you are only endangering yourself when single handling if the CG (or others) needs to come save your bacon.

Bill O.
I'm sure some may have an issue with that statement but that is what the CG does. And they have some very nice equipment to get the job done also

Sailing in and around this area we get to listen in on lots of the distress calls from the Coast Guard to boats in trouble with all the standard questions: location, problem, souls on board, ages, PFD's being worn, type of vessel, name of vessel, cell phone number, etc

Many times we can only hear the CG side of the conversation probably due to a very high mounted VHF antenna and possibly stronger radio amp.
Old 13-03-2019, 13:35   #30

Hello again,

Just wanted to add that I am looking for a used autopilot. I have Edson wheel, and assume a ST2000+ would be compatible. Any advice on using or installing that autopilot?
(I also have a vintage mechanical windvane.) Thanks again.

Tags
cruising, rib