Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 14:12   #1

Boat: Vancouver 27
CG3300 - US to Cuba

We are two US citizens planning a trip to Cuba in Feb. Likely departing Key West to Havana and then onto the NW caribbean. I have the CG3300 form in hand. Since I don't see any organized rallies taking place around that time (which would make declaring a reason for going easy), I'm looking at the educational "person-to-person" exception. Our plan is to dock the boat and go inland, arranging some visits and stays with various organizations and just generally mixing it up with the locals. Just not sure with what specificity I need to fill the US govt in on the plans via the form.

Has anyone here been through this specific process before? On the form it says "My purpose for the voyage is..." Can I just throw in there "utilizing the educational person-to-person general exception."..?

Thanks for any help. Since we'll eventually be clearing back into the US from a country other than Cuba, I gather we probably don't have to worry about CG3300 anyway, but I'm eager to jump through as many hoops as possible..
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:31   #2

Boat: Lagoon 40
Re: CG3300 - US to Cuba

Hi
I just spotted your post. We went to Cuba this summer and got the Coast Guard Permit. The main thing is that you need to use one of the "reasons" included in the General permit provision. I am currently the Chair of the 2017 Pensacola a la Habana race,which leaves Pensacola on April 30. Please see Pensacola a la Habana posts NOR Version 2

As part of our race planning, I wrote an article that may be of help. Please see
Home, click on 2017 Race Documents, and "Racing to Havana: Things to Think About.

There is also some info about our two trips to Cuba on my blog (See link below) and look back to October 2015 and June 2016.

Finally, if your dates are flexible, please come and join us in April for the Pensacola to Havana Race. It should be a great event!
2017 Pensacola a la Habana Race on Yacht Scoring - A complete web based regatta administration and yacht scoring program
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 09:34   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: CG3300 - US to Cuba

Thanks Ndavies, I was able to get some good info off your site. The recommendation of using a cover letter when sending CG3300 in seems like a good idea.

We would love to do the race with you guys and crowd out that last place slot, but our timing is not that flexible. We're looking at being back in the states by the beginning of April.

I scrounged up some info from another race that breaks down the form filling in some detail. In the event someone else finds this useful..

http://www.havanarace.org/immigration.html
Completing the Application for Permit to Enter Cuban Territorial Waters:

You should all be able to complete the Application through the end of Section 3. Section 4 begins with “My purpose for the voyage is ________”. Complete that sentence with “to compete in the Miami to Havana Race on 3/15/17, and the Castillo del Morro Race on 3/18/17, amateur athletic events pursuant to 31 CFR 515.567(b).”

Next up is “My OFAC license number for this voyage is _________”. Just write “See attached” in the space, and attach a separate sheet of paper, explaining why you qualify for the general license provided in 31 CFR 515.567(b), allowing travel for amateur athletic competitions. (A sample statement is provided below)

The next section is “My Commerce export license number for this voyage is __________”. Write “See attached” in the space. On the separate sheet, explain that 15 CFR 740.15(d)(6)(i)(c), provides an exception to the rule requiring a BIS export license, for vessels in connection with travel authorized by OFAC, remaining in Cuba for no more than 14 consecutive days. (See sample statement below)

Complete the crew list. Caveat: If you have to add a crewmember to the list, after the application has been submitted, you go back to square one and start the application process over. If you misspell a name or enter the wrong birth date or Passport number, you go back to square one and reapply. If a crewmember on the list cannot make the trip, they can be deleted without having to reapply. One might be wise to list all possible crewmembers on the initial application, and narrow the list once the crew is finalized.

The application should be faxed to 305 415-6791, but may be emailed to Joseph.D.Wilson@uscg.mil.
Questions can be directed to:
MST1 Joseph Wilson
District 7 Response Division
909 SE 1st Ave.
Miami, Fl. 33131
305-415-6820
305-415-6791 fax

Here is a sample statement for response to Section 4 OFAC and DOC/BIS license questions:

My OFAC license for this voyage is provided by general license in 31 CFR 515.567(b), allowing travel to Cuba (and travel related transactions) for participation in amateur athletic competitions. The Miami to Havana Race is an amateur sailboat race, beginning on March 15, 2017, proceeding to the Hemingway International Yacht Club, with most boats expected to arrive on the 16th or 17th. That will provide time to prepare for the race to Morro Castle and back on the 18th, organized by the Hemingway International Yacht Club, in which Cuban citizens are welcome to participate and observe. The race proceeds along the Malecón, allowing the Cuban public two opportunities to observe the competition. I agree to maintain records of each and every transaction related to this voyage for five years, pursuant to 31CFR501.601, and to furnish them upon request by the Director, Office of Foreign Asset Control, pursuant to 31CFR501.602.

My Commerce export license number for this voyage is provided by a rule exception, listed in 15 CFR 740.15(d)(6)(i)(c). The temporary sojourn is in connection with travel authorized by the Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Control (see above), and under no circumstances will the vessel remain in Cuban waters for more than 14 consecutive days.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba