Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 19:34   #1

Boat: cal 40
charleston to georgetown sc

We are plannng our first overnight cruise. From Chs to gtw, then back the next day. Does anyone have any tips about anchoring in G-town harbor sc? I have been downtown and waterfront by car but never by boat.
Loquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 19:51   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: charleston to georgetown sc

I was there last summer. There is limited room to anchor. Try to catch one of the local fishermen and ask them if there is an available mooring for the night. There used to be some free ones and the fishermen are often generous with their own if they aren't using them.

Georgetown is a cute town marred by a defunct steel mill and an active paper mill.
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 20:28   #3
cruiser

Are you interested in going into town or are you just looking to cruise offshore between the two inlets?

The inlet has a very nice anchorage close to the opening. The town has an anchorage on the Sampit River.
The green markers are the anchorages and free dock. The Sampit River one has 10 reviews from people who've been there. There's a lot of good info. It's not a stellar anchorage but you'll be fine. Pan down to the inlet and you'll see the anchorage there too.

It's not really an overnight distance. Inlet to inlet is only about 60 nm. I just did it a week ago and I'm in Charleston now.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:48   #4

Boat: cal 40

Thanks Jeffrey. I will look at at that.
The plan is, according to the wind direction, to go outside either to bohicket creek south or north to g-town. I don't think we will take the dink so we will just stay on the boat.
We just bought this boat, a b-40, out of Castine! You may know her, Fair Lady? This is going to be our first trip w/her.
Loquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:05   #5
cruiser

Wow - now that's a small world thing. Yes, I know the boat and previous owner quite well. I know he put a lot of money into her at a top yard and only did things right. He pulled off the original winches and put a new, really high-end set on and gave another friend the old ones. My friend turned those winches into a mooring pulling system!

There are a few B/40's in town - wonderful cruising boats. I was hoping that Wallace would wait to sell her to me when I got done with my trawler cruising!

Since you won't have a dinghy, you probably won't be going into town. I'd just hang out at the inlet anchorage if the weather is settled (wicked strong current at mid-tide there). Consider going up past Georgetown to Butler Island for another anchorage. It's nicely protected there.

We've anchored in both places.

For just exploring and getting some miles under the keel, you could head south to Port Royal Sound too. That's a long day sail as well. There are some marinas/anchorages around Hilton Head or head up the river to Beaufort.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:04   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

If you've got time I love some of the anchorages up the Waccamaw River, but you probably won't want to go inland that far. If you're not going ashore there is really no reason to go all the way to Georgetown itself--nice town, but the anchorage is not particularly nice--narrow, crowded with moorings, soupy bottom, and noisy factory ashore. Tons of current in Winyah Bay can make anchoring uncomfortable.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:52   #7

where's the best place to keep your boat in charleston?
CharlestonNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:51   #8

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I think Cooper River Marina. Lowest rates. Friendliest staff. They really inspect your boat every day.

The neighborhood nearby is not that great, but you have to drive through the Federal Complex to get to the marina, so the security is excellent.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:02   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonNoob View Post
where's the best place to keep your boat in charleston?
There are about 5 ways to define "best". What are you looking for?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
There are about 5 ways to define "best". What are you looking for?
oh yea, i have no idea. i've seen an old yellow catamaran in folly river for maybe a year or so. does this cost anything?
CharlestonNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:41   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquat View Post
We are plannng our first overnight cruise. From Chs to gtw, then back the next day. Does anyone have any tips about anchoring in G-town harbor sc? I have been downtown and waterfront by car but never by boat.
A couple of things to note. There are several locals boats pretty much permanently moored in the harbor, limiting room when the cruising fleet is migrating. Another issue is that the bottom of the harbor is a soft black muddy ooze. You will get what seems like a good set, but if a sudden squall blows through there is a good chance the anchor will drag, especially given the fact that you might be on a short scope because of not enough room. We used to always anchor in Georgetown, but now we usually find a marina and sleep better at night. Georgetown has been a regular stop for us for over 15 years. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote