Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 17:38   #1

Boat: 1999 Hunter 260
Chartering in the Bahamas

Looks like you have lots of sailors...I am on this site because we were looking to bareboat a sailboat in the Bahamas in February. We can't find a bareboat company and we have read that February is not the best time. Can anyone help us sort this out? Do you know of bareboat companies, or does someone have a boat we could rent for the week? Thanks for any help you can provide. Carole from Canada
CarHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 17:43   #2

Boat: 1999 Hunter 260
Bareboating in Bahamas

We are looking to bareboat in the Bahamas but cannot find a company to arrange this with. Is anyone aware of one? Also we have heard that February is not the best time to sail in the Bahamas. We would appreciate feedback from those of you who have sailed there in February.

Where might us Canadians find good bareboat sailing in February? We want some sun, warmth and fair wind.

We are looking for some expert advice.

Carole from Canada
CarHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 19:09   #3

Rumours about the Bahamas

I don't know what the rumours are about the Bahamas but I have sailed there in late January and never heard of anyone saying there was a problem in Feb.

I think Moorings have an operation in Marsh Harbour.....

Bigguy
Mediaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:35   #4

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
The moorings have a base in Marsh Harbor Abacos. Feb. is a great time to sail in the abacos. Only 2 negetives, Cold fronts tend to be more frequent, so you will need secure anchorages for those fronts close by. and the water is colder for swimming, bring a wet suit.
Ohterwise, a fabulous trip.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:51   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Navtours, a Quebec company charters out of Nassau. Also there are three or four companies out of Marsh Harbour and Hopetown. I would not recommend chartering in the Bahamas if you only have a week. The weather is not "guaranteed" and you might have a few cold fronts that will make it less than a tropical vacation. The BVI's are your best bet. Always warm. Only drawback is that it's usually very crowded. There has been quite a lot of discussion on this forum on the topic. Do a search.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:17   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Most of the charter companies are in the Abacos. Sunsail and Moorings have a base in Marsh Harbour. I've used the Moorings there several times in the winter. http://www.moorings.com

February in the Abacos is much like southern Florida. It's often nice, but a lot of cold fronts roll through that time of the year, so it can be windy, light jacket weather. The islands are low, so you most always feel the wind, but most of the sailing is in the relatively protected Sea of Abaco which keeps wave action way down. The navigation is fairly straight forward. I like that there is a nice mix of resorts, small towns and uninhabited islands.

I personally really like sailing the Abacos in winter, but if you are looking for reliably warm weather and more milder cold fronts, I recommend a Caribbean destination instead.

Most of the images on my webpage were taken last February or early March.

bahamasmariner.com/abaocs
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas