Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 09:46   #31

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Ches Bay -> USVI Late August

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiffriller View Post

and the ratchet strap to the toe rail actually worked pretty well, just glassed in the new bulkhead the boats coming along great heres a pic
I'm not seeing a picture, perhaps because I'm on a phone. I'm glad you safely made that trip, I'm one of the ones that thought you should have done other things, rather than the strap. I didn't, think you were going to die if you did it, though.

I like seeing boats get better and go on to great adventures. I'd be interested in seeing the repair, to any extent that you documented it. And what other repairs have you done? 7 months ago you had a boat with no engine and rotten structural components. Is it truly ready to dodge hurricanes?

I've done the straight trip, didn't sail by Bermuda, in October, with a weather router.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-07-2016, 13:58   #32

Boat: Leopard 40

I think you've gotten the message that the answer is not a good time to go. It's doubtful that your insurance will cover you going south before 1 November. It normally takes from 9-14 days to travel from the Chesapeake to the Virgins. That is without stopping in Bermuda.

You should also know that sailing from the Chesapeake is much more challenging then, for example, Florida and going straight east. We've done both.

My advice is to have fun sailing this summer and make your trip in November.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 21:11   #33

Hey yea good call that would make for a fun trip as well I appreciate the good advice

Here's a picture of the new bulkhead would put in more but my phones not letting me for some reason, just got the new counter top in today

Who knew boats were so much work but it's a lot of fun, and sometimes I feel like a dentist, remove the rot and replace with the good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	128101  
tchiffriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:30   #34

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I can see that pic now. Sounds like it's coming along. What's you engine situation now?

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app