Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2021, 22:01   #16

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: COVID-19 Outbreak in the BVI July 2021

If you can get your hands on these, the US does accept them now. Not sure of other places. It's a DIY test, that's proctored via a video conference call:

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/...9-testing.html
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 04:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
St. Martin just imposed new rules by putting the BVI on the RED list.

I've spent much of today writing over 40 E-Mails to various government departments in St. Martin, Sint Maarten, St. Barths, Antigua, St. Kitts & Nevis, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Martinique and St. Lucia. The result is basically the same everywhere. They require a negative PCR test less than 72 hours old before arrival. But the BVI test results take 72 hours or more, and exit permission is granted only on producing a negative result - thus any test is going to be outdated upon arrival. And all those places will impose a 7 to 14 day quarantine for arrivals without a valid test, regardless of vaccination status. Only St. Lucia confirmed that they allow 5 days (still not enough, since sailing from the BVI to St. Lucia takes 2-3 days) and if I arrive without a current test they would take one upon arrival and place me in quarantine only until the results come back negative.
St. Lucia is 600KM at a 145 degrees angle which, given the current winds, might be doable on a single reach close-hauled. At best 2 days, but more likely 3 days of sailing. Easy-Peasey!

I still am in a state of non-existence here in the BVI. I don't have permission to leave, nor do I have permission to stay. It seems that my e-mails are disappearing --poof-- in the ether and not being answered.
More like 300 miles so really an overnight trip if you're able to leave early with the breeze North of East. Good luck, hope you're able to get out, the BVI'S haven't been kind to cruisers.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 05:04   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I wasn't suggesting doing a runner. Can't you take the PCR test for exit and then clear out?
Yes, that is the route I'm going to take. I'll do a useless PCR Test so that I can get permission to leave and then deal with quarantine at the destination. So far St. Lucia has the best conditions and I wanted to head south anyway so that I'm close to the southern edge of the hurricane belt.
Old 20-07-2021, 05:25   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Zanshin: I was very surprised to read* that you refrigerate your fresh-baked bread.
Refrigerated bread can stale up to six times faster, than bread at room temperature, on the counter.
* https://www.sv-zanshin.com/r/blog/20...2021-07-18.php

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 06:34   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I do refrigerate so that the crust remains crunchy here in the tropics. Plus I don't keep the bread around long enough to go bad I finished off the loaf this morning at breakfast and will bake the rest of the dough today - that depends upon if I decided to delve into the genset as I like to run that while heating up the oven (plus I want to make water and do laundry). The genset is starting to overheat even at low loads, so I think I need to clean out the broken impeller tines from the heat exchanger and that is an incredibly messy job and access is well nigh impossible.
Old 05-08-2021, 20:04   #21

Any updates?!?
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI