Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2021, 03:33   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 57
COVID-19 Outbreak in the BVI July 2021

I'm currently in the BVI and have been watching the daily confirmed case numbers start climbing since over a week ago. Some high-school graduation ceremonies and a couple of nightclubs/stripclubs with cases started off this rapidly worsening situation.

At first there were less than 20 cases on this island of 30,000 inhabitants. Then 40, 80, 120, 219 and as of yesterday there were over 1100 confirmed cases. That is over 3.6% of the population currently with COVID-19. And despite getting enough vaccines from the U.K. the vaccination rate is very low and many of the vaccines are due to expire in 2 weeks.

Several days ago a curfew was re-enacted to stem the tide, but the a couple of days later it was changed to 7PM-5AM and all restaurants are limited to takeout only.

The rules here have changed regarding clearing out, you need to get permission to clear out before going to immigration and actually clearing out. I applied for permission over a week and a half ago and haven't received an answer despite many attempts. I wanted to leave but currently cannot (legally) leave.

Now comes the worst news, because of all the contact tracing and sickness, the testing centres here are now saying that the test results will take a minimum of 72 hours to process. Considering most countries require test results to be less than 72 hours old, it means that anyone wanting to leave is SOL.

Still, the anchorages here are wonderfully empty and beautiful. I feel sorry for the charter guests stuck here as most of them are in the BVI for the beach bars and restaurants and ordering out for delivery on the boat just doesn't cut it.

On the positive side, I stocked up on beer yesterday, just in case they do another 100% lockdown - which seems likely to be coming soon.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:36   #2

Re: COVID-19 Outbreak in the BVI July 2021

Yikes
I am scheduled to bareboat there in November
Hope there’s no real hassle
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:41   #3

This should be relatively short-term and the situation must get sorted out before November as anything later would ruin another tourist season for the already stressed BVI economy. Looking at the BVI Websites the user comments are frightening to read as they show a deep-rooted reluctance to get vaccinated.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:55   #4

Things are just getting better and better in the BVI. You can't make this stuff up:

BVI encourages fasting and prayer against COVID outbreak
Old 12-07-2021, 15:44   #5

1300 Cases today. I still can't get anyone to give me permission to leave. And I can't get anyone to give me permission to stay longer... And test results now take 96 hours to return a status. Useless for travel, so anyone here wanting to fly anywhere is not going to get on their plane.
Old 14-07-2021, 17:20   #6

Boat: None currently

Where can you easily find the current case count in the BVI? (I'm not in the BVI)

Have you tried just going to immigration and clearing out? Might be they don't check or care about he permission requirement.
rexripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 20:50   #7

Oh boy. I have a planned trip in September. It was postponed from last September. Wonder I the charter company will even be around if l delay again. Anyway, waaa waaa, poor me, I know.

I hope the locals are able to get vaccinated. Looks like 3 souls have passed.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 03:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexripley View Post
Where can you easily find the current case count in the BVI? (I'm not in the BVI)

Have you tried just going to immigration and clearing out? Might be they don't check or care about he permission requirement.
Going to clear out at immigration will not work, without the pre-clearance they just turn you away. I haven't tried it, but others I've spoken with had tried with no luck. I finally got a government official responsible for pre-clearances to answer my e-mail but I have haven't gotten clearance yet.

The BVI is now being a bit disingenuous regarding the COVID numbers. Because of community spread and testing backlog they aren't testing as much and thus the new case numbers might be lower and not reflect the true situation.

https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/bvi-...related-deaths
Old 15-07-2021, 17:06   #9

Any updates from people currently traveling in or out of BVI?
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 04:12   #10

As of 13:00 yesterday, the USVI governor announced that all arrivals from BVI MUST have a negative PCR test that is no older than 48 hours, effective this coming Monday the 19th.

Considering the BVI test results take 72 hours to come back, this will stop anyone from traveling, at least until the test situation gets resolved.

I am still waiting from word from the deputy minister regarding being allowed to leave or allowed to stay - today is my last nice weather-window sailing day for the uphill slog to St. Martin. Assuming that the BVI doesn't get blacklisted by them as well.
Old 19-07-2021, 08:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
As of 13:00 yesterday, the USVI governor announced that all arrivals from BVI MUST have a negative PCR test that is no older than 48 hours, effective this coming Monday the 19th.

Considering the BVI test results take 72 hours to come back, this will stop anyone from traveling, at least until the test situation gets resolved.

I am still waiting from word from the deputy minister regarding being allowed to leave or allowed to stay - today is my last nice weather-window sailing day for the uphill slog to St. Martin. Assuming that the BVI doesn't get blacklisted by them as well.
Yay! The way the BVI's treated everyone else turnabout seems fair to me. LOL
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 14:40   #12

St. Martin just imposed new rules by putting the BVI on the RED list.

I've spent much of today writing over 40 E-Mails to various government departments in St. Martin, Sint Maarten, St. Barths, Antigua, St. Kitts & Nevis, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Martinique and St. Lucia. The result is basically the same everywhere. They require a negative PCR test less than 72 hours old before arrival. But the BVI test results take 72 hours or more, and exit permission is granted only on producing a negative result - thus any test is going to be outdated upon arrival. And all those places will impose a 7 to 14 day quarantine for arrivals without a valid test, regardless of vaccination status. Only St. Lucia confirmed that they allow 5 days (still not enough, since sailing from the BVI to St. Lucia takes 2-3 days) and if I arrive without a current test they would take one upon arrival and place me in quarantine only until the results come back negative.
St. Lucia is 600KM at a 145 degrees angle which, given the current winds, might be doable on a single reach close-hauled. At best 2 days, but more likely 3 days of sailing. Easy-Peasey!

I still am in a state of non-existence here in the BVI. I don't have permission to leave, nor do I have permission to stay. It seems that my e-mails are disappearing --poof-- in the ether and not being answered.
Old 19-07-2021, 15:18   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Zanshin,
Why not pick a destination you want, clear out of BVI, and do the quarantine as required? If you'd left when you first posted this you would have already been out of quarantine. This seems to be the way it is now if you want to move a cruising boat. We've already had to deal with two quarantines in the last year, but at least we are moving in the right direction.
Old 19-07-2021, 15:26   #14

Paul - I would have left, if the BVI had given me permission to leave as I'd requested. And normally one could sail to the French islands with no exit clearance, but that has changed now. So one can't just "skip out" anymore.
Old 19-07-2021, 16:11   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Paul - I would have left, if the BVI had given me permission to leave as I'd requested. And normally one could sail to the French islands with no exit clearance, but that has changed now. So one can't just "skip out" anymore.
I wasn't suggesting doing a runner. Can't you take the PCR test for exit and then clear out?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI