Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 06:00   #1

Boat: Lagoon 570
Crossing the Atlantic Twice a Year

I am curious if anyone actually sails the Med in the Summer, crosses to the Caribbean to spend the winter and then back to the Med again in early Spring. I know some charter boats do this but is this in any way practical for a live aboard? We are newbies on our Lagoon 570 (a large boat for newbies but what the heck) It seems to me this would be too much risk and big task to accomplish each year but it would sure be cool for the sailing life. We have only been in the Med region for this summer but have fallen in love with it. However, winter doesn't really sound like much fun here. But the Caribbean would sure be fun during the winter. If one had an unlimited budget he could hire a captain and crew to move it each way but I am not one of those. Let me know if you have done this or have any relevant information. Thanks
Timreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 06:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Crossing the Atlantic Twice a Year

A friend of mine has been doing this for years on his 28ft monohull.. a full time liveaboard
Mike is also the creator of a great Nav program called Nimble Navigator.. also makes a living doing boat electrics etc along the way..
His circuit is St Martin.. Azores.. sometimes the Med and then the Canaries for the Autumn before heading back to the Caribe in late Nov/December.
On your boat it should be easy as your crossing times should be at least half his..
Via the Cap Verdes is best.
Give it a go.. its worth the effort.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 12:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timreyn View Post
I am curious if anyone actually sails the Med in the Summer, crosses to the Caribbean to spend the winter and then back to the Med again in early Spring. I know some charter boats do this but is this in any way practical for a live aboard? We are newbies on our Lagoon 570 (a large boat for newbies but what the heck) It seems to me this would be too much risk and big task to accomplish each year but it would sure be cool for the sailing life. We have only been in the Med region for this summer but have fallen in love with it. However, winter doesn't really sound like much fun here. But the Caribbean would sure be fun during the winter. If one had an unlimited budget he could hire a captain and crew to move it each way but I am not one of those. Let me know if you have done this or have any relevant information. Thanks
we did it for a few years,based out of cyprus,then alternated to red sea ,madagasgar east africa cyprus,then did RTW via red sea on the return voyage to cyprus,RTW was easier and more interesting,but finding guests/paying crew was more difficult on the RTW.

finding guests on the outbound to carib was easy,but more difficult to find people for return voyage via azores,madagasgar and back we were always fully booked
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 22:30   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

I did the twice crossing por year 5 times in a seven years period.
I was running a charter business and it was the easiest way to work as many weeks as possible, plus we could sell berth during the passages.

Chasing the endless summer is very nice but also tiring, for you and your boat.
Then consider that plus the crossing you'll add more miles to get to your cruising ground.
We use to sail in the Egean Sea during the summer from Rodhes to Gibraltar you have to sail 1700 mg, this add more than a crossing to your annual mileage.

The good news is that with careful planning you can sail in the best climate/sailing condition. You can visit a lot during your way with a little detour.

Anyway I would suggest a twice atlantic crossing every two years and enjoy marocco/canaries/andalucia one winter every two.
capitangiorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 23:55   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timreyn View Post
I migrate twice a year between the UK South Coast and Finland in the Eastern Baltic. This is less than half the distance you're talking about, but the principle is the same. I've done it four years in a row.

I do it because I love the process of sailing long distances. Period. I don't think it makes much sense otherwise. It's a lot of time and effort, and wear and tear on the boat, particularly sails and rigging.

If you love the Med, you might not hate it in the winter. It's pretty warm on the African side. I sail in winter in the English Channel, and it's fine (with the right clothing ). The Med is a big body of water and you would only scratch the surface in a few years of cruising it.

In fact, the Med is awfully hot in the summer time -- maybe you would like to go further North during the summer time, and cruise the Med during milder months? The European Atlantic coasts are fantastic -- Portugal, Galicia, Biscay, Britanny . . . it goes on and on and on. They are also vastly less crowded and cheaper in the summer time, than the Med.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 00:42   #6

Boat: Lagoon 570

Good point Dockhead. It got very hot for a while in August here in Croatia. A little out of the ordinary. We rented a car and headed on a road trip to Slovania, Austria and Germany to beat the heat for ten days. When we got back it was tolerable. I followed the temperatures in the Split area last winter to compare to home and it really wasn't bad at all. But we wouldn't be sunbathing or taking a dip during the winter months. And those Bora winds! Thanks for your input.
Timreyn is offline   Reply With Quote