Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 08:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Crossing to and from Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailtheWind View Post
just my 2 cents.
I found it interesting that most stories about problems reported are old stories (before relations started to improve between the US and Cuba) or stories that someone was told about somebody that had heard something. How about first hand stories?
Do a search on the forum and you will find several first hand reports of hassles with US customs in Miami and Key West. You will also find a report of a US sailboat that was hit with a large fine just a few months back.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:54   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have wondered about a visit there too. I thought the 14-day restriction was Cuban red tape, not US. How would one cruise Cuba if you only have 14 days? I could see spending most of a season there.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:37   #18

Contact this guy he has been there a couple of times with a dog and firearms http://youtu.be/9aSFjJwzQ5U
noylddot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:48   #19

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have wondered about a visit there too. I thought the 14-day restriction was Cuban red tape, not US. How would one cruise Cuba if you only have 14 days? I could see spending most of a season there.

Maybe consecutive days is the key. Works for us as we are in the Bahamas and it's only a 60 mile hop to check it out. So just going to do a quick look.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:56   #20

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

We went from Key West to Varadero then to Havana and back to KW in Jan as a part of the Conch Republic Cup race. You need to have an approved CG3300 form before you leave. Harmony Yacht Vacations can help you with the paperwork. Lots of commercial boat traffic in the straights of Florida, an AIS and radar are nice to have. Came back at night with 25 knot winds doing 8-10 knots. Lots of fun!
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
We're planning a trip to Cuba and are wondering if anyone has been down there traveling to and from South Florida. Looking for recommendations on the route / ports.
Done the trip several times I live in Key West. Would like to speak with you first hand. Give me a call 805-680-8615 or email me at passagemaker@att.net. I'm sure I can be of some help. See my website GPS Yacht Deliveries
Harry Privette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:22   #22

Boat: Nonsuch U30

Check the current "Cruising OutPost" they have a story Rules for Sailing to Cuba. I think you will find it helpful. Get ready to go!
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:26   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have friends that went and there was no 14 limit on the Cuban side. Must be a US restriction.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:48   #24

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I can only tell you what I was told here in Key West.

"We don't care that you are a Canadian Boat with all Canadian crew, we don't allow boats to go from Key West to Cuba and back. If we find out you did, we will strip your cruising license for Florida"

Just some food for thought.. I have been told that Ft. Meyers is more lenient on foreign boats coming from Cuba!
Some Americans should just give Cuba a bit of slack. The cold war is over. They are building new marinas near Havana and Veradero and I was just in Santiago and they have many more cruising sailboats this time than I have ever seen before.

The Cubans will be glad to see you and you won't lose your citizenship or boat when you return providing you follow the rules.

Just relax.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:11   #25

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
We're planning a trip to Cuba and are wondering if anyone has been down there traveling to and from South Florida. Looking for recommendations on the route / ports.

Sail to Cuba: Regulations Update (By Wally Moran)

Previous to January 15, there were 12 license categories which one could use to travel legally to Cuba. The general classifications, such as journalism, required only a declaration by the traveler. The others, known as ‘specific’ licenses, required a formal application to, and approval from, the OFAC – Office of Foreign Asset Controls.
On January 15th, along with a raft of other changes, the 12 categories were all made general. This means that any American who fits into one of the 12 categories needs only to declare his purpose in traveling to Cuba. No formal process is required, and permission is predicated on the declaration being true.
You are required to keep records of your trip, and to keep a schedule that is appropriate to your declared activity – in other words, not a bar and beach tour.
So just how hard is it to fit into one of the twelve categories? Not hard at all. Educational, cultural pursuits or sporting activities for example include anything from learning about how your line of work operates in Cuba, going to the Cuban ballet, or even fly fishing inland, or a fishing tournament off Cuba’s coast. Show a little imagination and presto, you’ve qualified to travel to Cuba.
http://myinforms.com/en/a/21267861 -sail-to-cuba-regulations-update-by-wally-moran/
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:25   #26

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Guest Blog: Wally Moran on Cuba

Posted on January 23, 2016 (Updated January 23, 2016)

https://www.nauticalmind.com/blog/20...moran-on-cuba/

I know Wally, he is a Canadian Cruising Editor living in the US who has made a number of crossings to Cuba and has a mission to help sailors in that quest.
Is one of the few around that keeps appraised of the forever changing US regulations on Cuba and anchoring in Florida.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 13:13   #27

I'm planning a trip to Cuba in the summer I have paper work. Seems that you need a reason to go. I have a buddy of mine with a publishing company helping to give me a reason. Right now I'm in limbo because they want to know the dates you are going and I'm not sure yet. I'm hoping for the best.
The form you need is the USCG3300.
Trunion123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 13:17   #28

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

Everybody has an opinion but taking the lead from two young Cuban families (in their early 30's) who risked everything to come over on small boats, they asked that we discourage people from going over ton Cuba which they translate into supporting the Castro's.
One of the young men details my boat, the other some canvas work. Their parents are still in Cuba. One has 2 very young children. They bought airline tickets for their parents to meet them in Mexico.

I really want to see Cuba but I will not do so as long as the Castros are in control. Just my opinion.
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 17:15   #29

In late 1997 it was easy - applied for "permission to depart a security zone in time of national emergency" by fax to an office in DC....then cleared out from Key West. Authorities there told us to radio upon return....which we did.....and then they said ok and didn't come to inspect or do any paperwork!. That was I think before SVRS / LBO existed but was basically what the program is today.

First hand experience for sure but not very current A different world before Bush II and 9/11....

I do know that big brother is always watching, though. If you go to/from via Bahamas or other 3rd country they WILL know --- so best to make inquiries of any and all government agencies and tey to get (and document) whatever official permissions you can.

As for routing, KW to Havana was simple rhumb line corrected for Gulf Stream.

Islands to the west - Archipelago de Colorado - are like remote parts of the BahamasbasBut return from there wasn't fun against strong ENE breeze. And if you go in winter pay attention to fronts - a strong norther can pin you inside Marina Hemingway for days...
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 17:16   #30

Many thanks to all who posted information here. I can hardly wait and will save this page for reference.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba