Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 06:12   #31

Boat: Morgan 41 OI
Exclamation Re: Crossing to and from Cuba

I guess we are just a little too cautious when it come to certain things.I spent 40 years making sure that when the big steel doors slammed behind me, that they would open just as fast to let me out. The poor guy that went in with me didn't get that option. Too many times they went for stupidity coupled with "they won't catch me" syndrome. Or " it's a completely victimless crime." Key word there being crime. Untill such time as the gates are thrown wide open, with full invitations coming from both sides, I'm not willing to put us and our boat into any kind of jeopardy. "Well is just a civil infraction now" don't cut it either. That cn get costly also. I'll be glad to buy a round in some back gunk hole taverina when I know we can do it worry free... Just my opinion folks, ya'll do what you want.. Ted..
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:33   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Crossing to and from Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted and Relinda View Post
I guess we are just a little too cautious when it come to certain things.I spent 40 years making sure that when the big steel doors slammed behind me, that they would open just as fast to let me out. The poor guy that went in with me didn't get that option. Too many times they went for stupidity coupled with "they won't catch me" syndrome. Or " it's a completely victimless crime." Key word there being crime. Untill such time as the gates are thrown wide open, with full invitations coming from both sides, I'm not willing to put us and our boat into any kind of jeopardy. "Well is just a civil infraction now" don't cut it either. That cn get costly also. I'll be glad to buy a round in some back gunk hole taverina when I know we can do it worry free... Just my opinion folks, ya'll do what you want.. Ted..
My feelings are similar. I'm just not rich enough to take the risk, however small, of a fine or even loss of my boat for visiting Cuba without being 100% legal.

Anyone planning to sail to Cuba should read this thread. Post #30 from Estarzinger is very helpful.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ne-158043.html
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:51   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee OS 41 ketch

Go to " Sailingflorida.com". They have made 6 trips to Cuba recently. These are on their charter sailboats. They will allow you to charter from them and sail to Cuba. They have a great blog on most all for the current info you need to visit Cuba. Many great tips on clearing out of the Us and into Cuba. And clearing out of Cuba and back into the US. Plus more tips on the money issue, marina's, buying food, drink, cigar, and of course, the hookers.
These are good people, I have chartered from them in the past. They took pretty good care of us.
Racer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:14   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
So cant you go to Jamaica, a small bout of engine trouble requires a stop in Cuba, then a the jaunt to Jamaica, a stop in the Bahamas and back to Florida?
Basically, what you are asking is, "aren't there sneaky ways that you can violate the law and probably not get caught?"

I mean, DUH! Of course there are! There are thousands of people who make their living doing that. We call them "criminals." So yes, clearly you can do what you are asking.

(Just don't expect any sympathy if you get caught.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:21   #35

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Call me stupid (and a couple of friends did just that) but I was offered a free trip from Havana to Nassau aboard an 80'er last week and turned it down. Reason being I had to carry $5k in cash into Cuba via Grand Cayman from Miami. Via Grand Cayman cuz that's where I apparently could have gotten a visa. I had a RT ticket from Havana to GC that we were to cancel upon leaving Cuba.

I realize it could have worked out fine, and I was on the way to the airport when I got a call that the boat owner found another way to get some cash, allowing me an easy out, that I took.

Go ahead, call me stupid but I have a nice little life on a nice little boat right smack where I am. I'll go to Cuba when it really is legal.
Carrying cash into Cuba for some unknown person isn't one of the 12 permitted reasons for visiting Cuba. This was true before, and is still true now. Good call on not going on this trip - it would be far safer to sail directly from the US than to participate in this possibly very shady and likely illegal scheme.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 20:57   #36

Boat: PDQ 36 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
Passage maker magazine is organizing several trips to Cuba with all the proper visas. Sorry I can't find the link, but it's aimmedia. Peter Swanson is the organizer.
I saw an add in the March issue of Sail. It gives Swansons' email address . It's called Rally to Cuba; contact pswanson@aimmedia.com
for more information.
DougB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:57   #37

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

I am in the Florida Keys... and have met many people returning from Cuba. There was just a regatta race to Cuba a couple of weeks ago....from Key West.

I hear many are on their way to the Bahamas these days out of Key West when they suddenly have ....ahem..... engine trouble at the mouth of Havana(Mariel Marina) or Veradero.... they then need to stop in for repairs.... and such....
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 06:37   #38

Boat: 36' Cape Dory

Here's a website with lots of current information on boating to Cuba:

Cuba Boating -
vonchris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:37   #39

Boat: Vindö 45

Exactly which of the two countries involved was called "a Land of the Free"?
Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 10:31   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning View Post
Exactly which of the two countries involved was called "a Land of the Free"?
Sorry I'm confused. Can you explain your comment. Which two countries are you referring to, US and Cuba?

Also I don't understand the question about land of the free. Is that comparing freedom in the US vs freedom in Cuba?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 15:12   #41

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Castro only allows crime to exist exclusively in the government... so the streets are pretty safe.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba