Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53   #46

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: crossing to the exumas

Quote:
Then you can be on your way out of one of the nastiest places on an Atlantic Circuit without having to shell out for a berth.
I have never found Nassau particularly nasty. I kinda like the place.
Old 13-03-2013, 11:39   #47

Again, I want to thank everyone for their input to my thread question. Here is what we ended up doing:
WE left Biscayne Bay at 7:30 am for N. Rock. The sea conditions were waves at 7 feet from the NE in the beginning then coming at us SE by the end of the day when they had built to 7-9 feet and the intervals were fairly close together making for a lot of crashing into the waves but not necessarily a bad motion for our boat which is 50 ft. The wind was SE at 20 knots and I was reluctant to head out but the captain said "let's try and hour or two and see what it's like". This is his usual "stick our nose out" ploy and somehow it keeps working on me. Maybe I'm a slow learner! We both also felt like the wind would clock around to S and SW as predicted, which it didn't. Also the wind was predicted to decrease by about 2pm, which it did at 8pm instead. As we rounded N. Rock I was really looking forward to the seas and winds decreasing which they did but not until 8 pm. My biggest fear was the front would catch up with us. Anyway, we ran the banks at night. I have been to the Abacos for many years and have never done this so it was a bit out of my comfort zone especially when the winds were still at 20 knots but they finally did lay down and we reached NW channel light , which is not really there but just a waypoint, at about 2pm. We anchored on the bank as we were exhausted and needed some sleep. We were well north of the traveled waypoints and were able to watch other boats run by us but well out of range. We also put out several lights and I did a bit of night watch to check for the mail boats. It was great! So calm and void of anything way out there in complete blackness. I really liked it. At 7am we picked up anchor and motor sailed to Chub Cay and pulled into the marina. I know it is expensive but the forecast is for 25 knots of N-NE WEd pm and Thurs and we didnt want to be up all night with the poor holding. Maybe we could have made Nassau but I was pooped!
Was I glad we left when we did? Yes and No, but mostly yes because now we are in the Bahamas!!!
pjvoyage50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 11:43   #48

PS. Matt, our boat name is Silent Faith and is a Voyage 50 Cat so maybe we can get together when you get over. Also anyone else coming over that would like to have happy hour in the Exumas together, let us know. pjvoyage50@gmail.com
Pam and Jim
Old 13-03-2013, 12:06   #49

Boat: 65' cat, sold

Good job. Glad you guys made it. It seems like the weather was 8-12 hours behind the forecast, thats why I really like to see the wind go south-southwest before leaving. But like you said you're in the bahamas and you've done the hard part. It looks like you can probably move again on sat or sun and you can be in the Exumas with a days run if you want to skip Nassau.
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 12:31   #50

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvoyage50 View Post
Again, I want to thank everyone for their input to my thread question. Here is what we ended up doing:
WE left Biscayne Bay at 7:30 am for N. Rock. The sea conditions were waves at 7 feet from the NE in the beginning then coming at us SE by the end of the day when they had built to 7-9 feet and the intervals were fairly close together making for a lot of crashing into the waves but not necessarily a bad motion for our boat which is 50 ft. The wind was SE at 20 knots and I was reluctant to head out but the captain said "let's try and hour or two and see what it's like". This is his usual "stick our nose out" ploy and somehow it keeps working on me. Maybe I'm a slow learner! We both also felt like the wind would clock around to S and SW as predicted, which it didn't. Also the wind was predicted to decrease by about 2pm, which it did at 8pm instead. As we rounded N. Rock I was really looking forward to the seas and winds decreasing which they did but not until 8 pm. My biggest fear was the front would catch up with us. Anyway, we ran the banks at night. I have been to the Abacos for many years and have never done this so it was a bit out of my comfort zone especially when the winds were still at 20 knots but they finally did lay down and we reached NW channel light , which is not really there but just a waypoint, at about 2pm. We anchored on the bank as we were exhausted and needed some sleep. We were well north of the traveled waypoints and were able to watch other boats run by us but well out of range. We also put out several lights and I did a bit of night watch to check for the mail boats. It was great! So calm and void of anything way out there in complete blackness. I really liked it. At 7am we picked up anchor and motor sailed to Chub Cay and pulled into the marina. I know it is expensive but the forecast is for 25 knots of N-NE WEd pm and Thurs and we didnt want to be up all night with the poor holding. Maybe we could have made Nassau but I was pooped!
Was I glad we left when we did? Yes and No, but mostly yes because now we are in the Bahamas!!!
So jealous. I really wanted to leave, but my better half insisted on just staying put in Lake Worth. Enjoy the islands... we may see you there next week.
Old 13-03-2013, 12:45   #51

Way to go! So great to hear of someone going for it instead of hanging around forever waiting for the perfect weather window, which may never come. How was it clearing in at Chubb?
Old 13-03-2013, 13:00   #52

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
So great to hear of someone going for it instead of hanging around forever waiting for the perfect weather window, which may never come.
Ouch! That hurt
Old 13-03-2013, 13:17   #53

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Ouch! That hurt
Hey everyone has their comfort zone. I respect the decision you made. 7-9 feet short interval does not sound like fun to me.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 13:58   #54

I felt like your wife but Jim and I have been married ( and sailing ) for 30 years and he knows how to woo me.
Old 13-03-2013, 13:59   #55

WE definitely paid the price! It was not fun!
Old 13-03-2013, 14:00   #56

Good and easy to clear in but expensive. The marina is $4.35/ft and they waive a landing fee of $100 and a $10 cab ride to clear in but no waits and no hassles.
Old 13-03-2013, 14:02   #57

What is your boat name, funjohnson?
Old 14-03-2013, 06:56   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Hey everyone has their comfort zone. I respect the decision you made. 7-9 feet short interval does not sound like fun to me.

Scott

I've crossed twice with a north wind. I don't think it's dangerous in a good boat with an experienced crew, but it sure isn't fun. The last time I crossed, I waited three weeks for a weather window. We left at 6 in the morning with a southeast wind, and by the time we were nearing Gun Cay, the wind had swung around from the southeast to the south, then to the west and then finally north west, with waves just starting to build.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 08:16   #59

One time I waited in North Lake Worth for a couple of weeks with everyone constantly chatting about when the perfect weather window would arrive. Finally, I woke up in the middle of one night and noted the wind had dropped off temporarily, so within the hour we upped anchor and left in the dark. Made it across the hump in the stream before the wind picked up again, then had a bit of a struggle in strong northerly winds getting across the banks to the Abacos from West End, but nothing too bad. As far as I know nobody else left that night. Sometimes you just have to seize whatever little window you get.
Old 14-03-2013, 08:44   #60

The main thing is, they're sitting in the Bahamas on their boat, and I'm sitting at a desk on my computer.

I wish I was them!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas