Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 16:16   #1

Boat: Hunter 42
Crossing to West End from Ft Lauderdale

We plan to be in Fort Lauderdale by mid-May and plan to cross to West End any good weather window after the 16th. If anyone is doing likewise we'd like a buddy.
wahoo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 17:21   #2

Re: Crossing to West End from Ft Lauderdale

With hurricane season starting June 1, most will be going the opposite way.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 17:48   #3

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner

With hurricane season starting June 1, where do people go? I plan to end up in the Bahamas in December 2011 and will want to cross over to Florida to leave the boat during hurricane season 2012, unless there are places in the Bahamas that are "relatively safe." Should I head for the west coast of Florida? My vessel is a sailboat with 5' draft, by the way.
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:47   #4

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

IMHO the Bahamas are a much safer place to leave a boat. Not as much "stuff" flying around, many more opportunities to leave the boat on a mooring rather than beating against a dock.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSommers View Post
With hurricane season starting June 1, where do people go? I plan to end up in the Bahamas in December 2011 and will want to cross over to Florida to leave the boat during hurricane season 2012, unless there are places in the Bahamas that are "relatively safe." Should I head for the west coast of Florida? My vessel is a sailboat with 5' draft, by the way.
Those that are coming back are likely heading home to get out of the islands during hurricane season. Some are heading back to the mainland and then heading north to their home port. Others are coming back and putting their boats on the hard for needed maintenance work. Some are just coming back because they don't want to leave their boat unattended in the islands during the season. I'm sure for some their insurance dictates where the boat has to be during the season to maintain insurance. Either on the hard, or out of the hurricane danger zone.

As for hiding during the season in the islands, there are some on here that can give you exact locations and better advice than I can. I've never left a boat in the islands for hurricane season.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:16   #6

Boat: Hunter 42

If you don't sail during hurricane season you don't sail for 6 months out of the year. Heading Home means sailing back to New Orleans for us. We'll be in the Bahamas mid May until the end of June then another week in the keys and a leisurely sail home to get back mid - late July. We'll be cautious but still have a great time. Should a tropical system blow up in these early days (most hurricanes come August & September though there are exceptions) we'll find a good hole, tie her up and go somewhere as safe as possible.

Just wanted to know if someone wanted to buddy over this isn't our first or our last time to do this.
wahoo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:29   #7

I sail year round. I pay my marina a flat fee every year. For that fee they agree to put my boat on the hard and strap it every time a storm is imminent.

Most years they don't have to do anything (all profit for them). But there have been years where they have had to pull it several times. It works for me and keeps me sailing.

I've been through several hurricanes over the years and on the water in a marina is one of the worst places to be. When you get a 15'+ storm surge and only have 12' pilings everything floats off the top and you have total destruction.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:38   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

I stay at Telemar bay marina on the east coast up the banana river up a canal and very sheltered safe spot good hurricane hole and reasonably priced

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:57   #9

Boat: Hunter 36
Send a message via Skype™ to twellsjd
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman
I stay at Telemar bay marina on the east coast up the banana river up a canal and very sheltered safe spot good hurricane hole and reasonably priced
Where is Telemar Bay?
twellsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Telemar Bay Marina is at Indian Harbour Beach, Florida.

Welcome to the Telemar Bay Marina

Telemar Bay Marina in FL, United States

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote