Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2022, 11:10   #31

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Cruisers are no longer welcome in Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Just a question, to anyone familiar with cruising Florida - are there many yacht clubs in Florida, and if so, do they offer reciprocal privileges (short-term stays) to members of other clubs?

In our area (Great Lakes) membership at most yacht clubs has reciprocal privileges, which makes it easy and inexpensive to cruise around the lakes.
Palm Beach Sailing Club on Lake Worth western shore, just north of Rybovitch
Old 20-09-2022, 15:16   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

Lady Lena,
I'll put my "preface" last....'cuz I want you to see / read the answers to your questions first...

I do have the answers to your questions here...
Please read them! Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Lady Lena View Post
If you people still insist this isn't the case then really I want to know where the correct ICW is so I can start using that! I'm not a trying to be cheap; like I said I'm on a budget and want to enjoy myself wherever I am going to. Everyone knows many minor fees can kill your finances.

All I'm saying is every place I have hit which was nearly every county on the ICW is now being cut off from anchoring and land access. I have been cruising for years and it has finally gotten unbearable!
Onto your answers:

2) Here in the Stuart, Jensen Beach, Hobe Sound area of South Florida, there are a half-dozen places that you can anchor, for free, and have good shore access (most of the places, be within a couple blocks / walking distance of super markets, convenient stores / gas stations, hardware stores, etc.), but no "facilities" except a dumpster to place your garbage in.

So, if all you want is some place to drop-the-hook....anywhere along the ICW / Indian River in Martin county that has the depth you require, as well as along the St. Lucie River, as well...have a look at your charts!

If you desire a place to land your dinghy, buy groceries, etc...again, have a look at your charts and do a Google search for Publix super markets, etc. (or whatever shoreside facility you desire), and you'll find what you need....for my area, I CAN answer your question(s)....have a look, and you're welcome!

BTW, not sure what you're using for charts, but if you don't have good charts, and/or don't have internet access here on-board, have a shout on Ch. 16....even if the local fishermen (the best local info / advice you can get!) won't answer, have a call to Tow-BoatUS or SeaTow, and you'll get some info there as well.

Please have a look here, for 4 to 5 free anchorage locations with shore-side access, right here in one county, all within 8 - 9 miles of each other! (this IS what you asked for, yes?)

a) ---- In addition to the official mooring field on the ICW in Jensen Beach, FL, you can drop the hook nearby and still pull your dinghy ashore close-by (on the west side of the ICW)...and, you're just a block away from super market, laundry, gas stations, etc...

b) ---- Or just one mile farther south, you can drop the hook (outside the ICW channel, of course), and use the public boat-ramp and docks...you're just one block walk from convenience store / gas station / deli, etc...

c) ---- Or in Stuart (just 1.5 miles father south from the above convenience store / gas station / deli)...on the east side of the ICW, you can drop the hook either side of the Stuart Causeway bridge, use the public boat ramp / docks and you're just one block walk from convenience store / gas station / deli, etc...and a two block walk from super market, etc...

d) ---- If you wish to make a couple mile detour up the St. Lucie River (go west at crossroads, rather than east to the Atlantic), there are also places to anchor up here, but you'll need to go up a few miles to the downtown area, in order to have anywhere public to land your dinghy that is near super markets, etc...but, if don't mind asking private dock owners, or if you have bicycles, etc. and/or don't mind a hike, there are a few nice spots here as well...

e) ---- But, if the above three locations aren't enough, and you don't wish to motor-sail a few miles out of your way, there is another spot (just 6 miles farther south, about 4 miles south of the inlet) you can anchor, and have public access for your dinghy....that's at Peck Lake in Hobe Sound....you can use the docks / boat ramp at Jimmy Graham Park, 1/2 mile from the Peck Lake anchorage....and, you're a few blocks away from super markets, gas stations, etc...

3) If you need pump-out, desire laundry, free wi-fi, trash drop-off, etc....There are a couple official mooring fields, with great facilities... $27/day

Restrooms & shower facilities
Laundry facilities (washers & dryers only accept quarters; cost is $1.50/washer load $2.00/dryer load)
Dedicated mooring field dinghy dock
Vehicle parking
Weekly pump out service
Trash receptacles & recycling available
Boat ramp access
Free Wi-Fi

Daily $27.00 + tax
Weekly $165.00 + tax
Monthly $350.00 + tax
Annual $3,000.00 + tax

https://www.martin.fl.us/Mooringfields

https://www.martin.fl.us/JensenBeachMooringField

https://www.martin.fl.us/ManateePocket

4) I do know that as you venture farther south of here, south of 27* N along the ICW you'll find these types of locations scarce....and, I cannot speak for the entire ICW route nor for each / every county or city in Florida.

But, here in Martin County....for Stuart, Jensen Beach, and Hobe Sound area of South Florida, I think I actually answered your specific question(s)....so, you're welcome!

5) There are also public parks along the waterfront (as a kid, when we were home in Lauderdale, Spanish River Park in Boca was one of my favs).....the ones with security (state police or sheriff's deputies) charge money (admission fee).....the ones that are free, I wouldn't leave my dinghy at unattended! Heck, there's more dinghy theft / outboard theft in Florida than just about anywhere I've ever been! (I always shake my head at those that haul their dinghy out-of-the-water when in Bahamas out-islands! What a slap-in-the-face to my wonderful Bahamian friends....some of the nicest, most honest folk I've ever met! Of course Nassau is a den-of-thieves, but I avoid Nassau...)

6) Of course, there are marinas that will allow you to use their dock / dinghy dock if you're buying fuel, etc....the same is true for many other water-front businesses, restaurants, etc.

~~~~~
And, now my preface:

Lady Lena,

1) I have the answer(s) to your question for my area here in S. Florida. Please read all above...

But, a brief preface....in addition to owning and sailing an offshore sailboat (mostly long cruises / ocean crossing, etc.), I grew up here in S. Florida (Ft. Lauderdale), sailing / cruising the Bahamas, Caribbean, N. Atlantic, the Med, etc...I own my home and property here in Florida (and pay significant property taxes, but I'm not complaining), and I also have a "submerged-land-lease" for my dock (and pay significant fee annually to the State of Florida for this "privilege"...)

Just a few of the hundreds examples of my bonefides....I spent 9 years, one-day-a-week, volunteering in my local middle-school/junior-high-school (and, I don't have any children!)....have spent many, many hours volunteering in emergency management....spent many many weeks building homes for folks for Habitat-for-Humanity....helped my father for years volunteering with the blind....spent many days / weeks doing land and river clean-ups...have been an avid sailor, spear-fisherman, scuba-diver, etc. all my life and have take many under-privileged folks out sailing, diving, etc. in my life....I also gave up most of my career (and most of my "cruising") to care for elderly family, etc. etc. etc...in short, I have spent my life putting others ahead of myself, and have always tried to lend a hand-up to everyone....and, I sort-of resent being painted with the wide brush as an "uncaring" land-owner...so, I thought I'd try to educate you on who some of the ~ 23 Million residents of Florida are....(should you disagree, that's your choice, but I'm thinking you just haven't met many Floridians, and need some more information to make your decisions on?)

I have no problem with someone temporarily anchoring off my shoreline (as long as they don't block my dock, nor impeded my boat's access to the channel)....but, I do have a problem if they're dumping their sewage into the water here (a fresh-water-fed, salt-water-ocean-inlet estuary)!!

I have waved-to, and called on VHF, to boats that have anchored nearby....welcoming them and offering any assistance they need....only once in almost 20 years did anyone ever take me up on my offer ---- they dinghied-in and used my dock hose for some fresh water and I took two bags of their garbage....nobody else has ever needed anything.

The river bottom is silty/sandy mud, and holding is great.....but, because of the (strong) tidal currents here, you swing 180* every 6 hours, and because pump-out facilities are just a couple miles each direction, and there are no super markets, nor convenience stores nearby (this is suburban residential, after all), but they are close-by other anchoring locales and the mooring fields, so most only stay over-night.

If they stayed longer, I'd be sure to check with them to make sure they're getting their sewage pumped out, and if not, I'd politely ask them to do so...if they gave me grief, I'd insist on it! (and, btw, the FWC will insist on it, as well....and, they will arrest you, if you refuse)

Now, I can't image anyone wishing to stay here much longer than a day or two (again, which I have no problem with), but if someone were to decide to "move-in" and permanently anchor (more than a few weeks is "permanent" in my opinion), right off my dock....I think I'd find out what they were doing with their sewage (the FWC will find out in short order, with a quick phone call or and sometimes even with a shout-out on Ch. 16)....but, before calling FWC, I'd politely show them where the mooring fields are, etc....and ask them when they were planning on leaving....and notify them that I have a State-of-Florida submerged-land lease for this area....and, I'd make sure they understood this gives me legal right to charge fees for access to that "submerged-land", which extends quite a ways out from my dock....if that didn't work, I think I'd deliver an invoice to them via my dinghy, about the same time I saw FWC motoring over to them...and assume I'd have no worries after that...

You see, in addition to private land owners, there are also many that lease that submerged-land from the State....no "local" rules to BS you with, just making sure you understand the facts, you may not like these facts, but they are the facts, nonetheless:

---- You must take care of your sewage, you cannot just dump it into our waterways!

---- The "submerged land" outside of navigation channels that you anchor into belongs to the State of Florida, and the State can legally charge the public to use State property, like State Parks, etc.

---- In addition to "marinas", some private persons pay the State a lease fee every year, to legally have exclusive rights to use specific plots of "submerged land".

So, before you taint everyone in Florida as greedy folks that don't want "cruisers" perhaps you should accept a few of these facts, and then ask yourself what would you do in my shoes....no need to answer me, just ask yourself, and think to yourself about this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fair winds and 73,
John

P.S. I hope you don't mind that I didn't give you any GPS lat/long? It is on purpose.
This way you will actually look at your charts! (I see way, way too many sailors pointing-n-clicking, and navigating with their phones, etc....instead of looking ahead....and, damn few actually look at their charts, they're too busy clicking on a "waypoint"!)
Old 21-09-2022, 18:33   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

Lady Lena,
Yesterday morning you asked these questions....and yesterday afternoon ---- less than 10 hours later, I answered you.
And, I'm wondering if you have read these answers, and if I can offer any other assistance?

So, again....
Please read them.

Quote:
Good Morning,

If you people still insist this isn't the case then really I want to know where the correct ICW is so I can start using that! I'm not a trying to be cheap; like I said I'm on a budget and want to enjoy myself wherever I am going to. Everyone knows many minor fees can kill your finances.

Lastly, some of you really need to update your knowledge on anchoring in Florida, yes there is a lot of places you can still anchor for free, but like I was saying it would appear the water front property owner's have finally or partly won the battle of anchoring.

All I'm saying is every place I have hit which was nearly every county on the ICW is now being cut off from anchoring and land access. I have been cruising for years and it has finally gotten unbearable!
And....I put my "preface" last....'cuz I want you to see / read the answers to your questions first...

Please have a look at the answers you sought:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Lady Lena,
I'll put my "preface" last....'cuz I want you to see / read the answers to your questions first...

Please read them!

Quote:

Onto your answers:

2) Here in the Stuart, Jensen Beach, Hobe Sound area of South Florida, there are a half-dozen places that you can anchor, for free, and have good shore access (most of the places, be within a couple blocks / walking distance of super markets, convenient stores / gas stations, hardware stores, etc.), but no "facilities" except a dumpster to place your garbage in.

So, if all you want is some place to drop-the-hook....anywhere along the ICW / Indian River in Martin county that has the depth you require, as well as along the St. Lucie River, as well...have a look at your charts!

If you desire a place to land your dinghy, buy groceries, etc...again, have a look at your charts and do a Google search for Publix super markets, etc. (or whatever shoreside facility you desire), and you'll find what you need....for my area, I CAN answer your question(s)....have a look, and you're welcome!

BTW, not sure what you're using for charts, but if you don't have good charts, and/or don't have internet access here on-board, have a shout on Ch. 16....even if the local fishermen (the best local info / advice you can get!) won't answer, have a call to Tow-BoatUS or SeaTow, and you'll get some info there as well.

Please have a look here, for 4 to 5 free anchorage locations with shore-side access, right here in one county, all within 8 - 9 miles of each other! (this IS what you asked for, yes?)

a) ---- In addition to the official mooring field on the ICW in Jensen Beach, FL, you can drop the hook nearby and still pull your dinghy ashore close-by (on the west side of the ICW)...and, you're just a block away from super market, laundry, gas stations, etc...

b) ---- Or just one mile farther south, you can drop the hook (outside the ICW channel, of course), and use the public boat-ramp and docks...you're just one block walk from convenience store / gas station / deli, etc...

c) ---- Or in Stuart (just 1.5 miles father south from the above convenience store / gas station / deli)...on the east side of the ICW, you can drop the hook either side of the Stuart Causeway bridge, use the public boat ramp / docks and you're just one block walk from convenience store / gas station / deli, etc...and a two block walk from super market, etc...

d) ---- If you wish to make a couple mile detour up the St. Lucie River (go west at crossroads, rather than east to the Atlantic), there are also places to anchor up here, but you'll need to go up a few miles to the downtown area, in order to have anywhere public to land your dinghy that is near super markets, etc...but, if don't mind asking private dock owners, or if you have bicycles, etc. and/or don't mind a hike, there are a few nice spots here as well...

e) ---- But, if the above three locations aren't enough, and you don't wish to motor-sail a few miles out of your way, there is another spot (just 6 miles farther south, about 4 miles south of the inlet) you can anchor, and have public access for your dinghy....that's at Peck Lake in Hobe Sound....you can use the docks / boat ramp at Jimmy Graham Park, 1/2 mile from the Peck Lake anchorage....and, you're a few blocks away from super markets, gas stations, etc...

3) If you need pump-out, desire laundry, free wi-fi, trash drop-off, etc....There are a couple official mooring fields, with great facilities... $27/day

Restrooms & shower facilities
Laundry facilities (washers & dryers only accept quarters; cost is $1.50/washer load $2.00/dryer load)
Dedicated mooring field dinghy dock
Vehicle parking
Weekly pump out service
Trash receptacles & recycling available
Boat ramp access
Free Wi-Fi

Daily $27.00 + tax
Weekly $165.00 + tax
Monthly $350.00 + tax
Annual $3,000.00 + tax

https://www.martin.fl.us/Mooringfields

https://www.martin.fl.us/JensenBeachMooringField

https://www.martin.fl.us/ManateePocket

4) I do know that as you venture farther south of here, south of 27* N along the ICW you'll find these types of locations scarce....and, I cannot speak for the entire ICW route nor for each / every county or city in Florida.

But, here in Martin County....for Stuart, Jensen Beach, and Hobe Sound area of South Florida, I think I actually answered your specific question(s)....so, you're welcome!

5) There are also public parks along the waterfront (as a kid, when we were home in Lauderdale, Spanish River Park in Boca was one of my favs).....the ones with security (state police or sheriff's deputies) charge money (admission fee).....the ones that are free, I wouldn't leave my dinghy at unattended! Heck, there's more dinghy theft / outboard theft in Florida than just about anywhere I've ever been! (I always shake my head at those that haul their dinghy out-of-the-water when in Bahamas out-islands! What a slap-in-the-face to my wonderful Bahamian friends....some of the nicest, most honest folk I've ever met! Of course Nassau is a den-of-thieves, but I avoid Nassau...)

6) Of course, there are marinas that will allow you to use their dock / dinghy dock if you're buying fuel, etc....the same is true for many other water-front businesses, restaurants, etc.

~~~~~
And, now my preface:

Lady Lena,

1) I have the answer(s) to your question for my area here in S. Florida. Please read all above...

But, a brief preface....in addition to owning and sailing an offshore sailboat (mostly long cruises / ocean crossing, etc.), I grew up here in S. Florida (Ft. Lauderdale), sailing / cruising the Bahamas, Caribbean, N. Atlantic, the Med, etc...I own my home and property here in Florida (and pay significant property taxes, but I'm not complaining), and I also have a "submerged-land-lease" for my dock (and pay significant fee annually to the State of Florida for this "privilege"...)

Just a few of the hundreds examples of my bonefides....I spent 9 years, one-day-a-week, volunteering in my local middle-school/junior-high-school (and, I don't have any children!)....have spent many, many hours volunteering in emergency management....spent many many weeks building homes for folks for Habitat-for-Humanity....helped my father for years volunteering with the blind....spent many days / weeks doing land and river clean-ups...have been an avid sailor, spear-fisherman, scuba-diver, etc. all my life and have take many under-privileged folks out sailing, diving, etc. in my life....I also gave up most of my career (and most of my "cruising") to care for elderly family, etc. etc. etc...in short, I have spent my life putting others ahead of myself, and have always tried to lend a hand-up to everyone....and, I sort-of resent being painted with the wide brush as an "uncaring" land-owner...so, I thought I'd try to educate you on who some of the ~ 23 Million residents of Florida are....(should you disagree, that's your choice, but I'm thinking you just haven't met many Floridians, and need some more information to make your decisions on?)

I have no problem with someone temporarily anchoring off my shoreline (as long as they don't block my dock, nor impeded my boat's access to the channel)....but, I do have a problem if they're dumping their sewage into the water here (a fresh-water-fed, salt-water-ocean-inlet estuary)!!

I have waved-to, and called on VHF, to boats that have anchored nearby....welcoming them and offering any assistance they need....only once in almost 20 years did anyone ever take me up on my offer ---- they dinghied-in and used my dock hose for some fresh water and I took two bags of their garbage....nobody else has ever needed anything.

The river bottom is silty/sandy mud, and holding is great.....but, because of the (strong) tidal currents here, you swing 180* every 6 hours, and because pump-out facilities are just a couple miles each direction, and there are no super markets, nor convenience stores nearby (this is suburban residential, after all), but they are close-by other anchoring locales and the mooring fields, so most only stay over-night.

If they stayed longer, I'd be sure to check with them to make sure they're getting their sewage pumped out, and if not, I'd politely ask them to do so...if they gave me grief, I'd insist on it! (and, btw, the FWC will insist on it, as well....and, they will arrest you, if you refuse)

Now, I can't image anyone wishing to stay here much longer than a day or two (again, which I have no problem with), but if someone were to decide to "move-in" and permanently anchor (more than a few weeks is "permanent" in my opinion), right off my dock....I think I'd find out what they were doing with their sewage (the FWC will find out in short order, with a quick phone call or and sometimes even with a shout-out on Ch. 16)....but, before calling FWC, I'd politely show them where the mooring fields are, etc....and ask them when they were planning on leaving....and notify them that I have a State-of-Florida submerged-land lease for this area....and, I'd make sure they understood this gives me legal right to charge fees for access to that "submerged-land", which extends quite a ways out from my dock....if that didn't work, I think I'd deliver an invoice to them via my dinghy, about the same time I saw FWC motoring over to them...and assume I'd have no worries after that...

You see, in addition to private land owners, there are also many that lease that submerged-land from the State....no "local" rules to BS you with, just making sure you understand the facts, you may not like these facts, but they are the facts, nonetheless:

---- You must take care of your sewage, you cannot just dump it into our waterways!

---- The "submerged land" outside of navigation channels that you anchor into belongs to the State of Florida, and the State can legally charge the public to use State property, like State Parks, etc.

---- In addition to "marinas", some private persons pay the State a lease fee every year, to legally have exclusive rights to use specific plots of "submerged land".

So, before you taint everyone in Florida as greedy folks that don't want "cruisers" perhaps you should accept a few of these facts, and then ask yourself what would you do in my shoes....no need to answer me, just ask yourself, and think to yourself about this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fair winds and 73,
John

P.S. I hope you don't mind that I didn't give you any GPS lat/long? It is on purpose.
This way you will actually look at your charts! (I see way, way too many sailors pointing-n-clicking, and navigating with their phones, etc....instead of looking ahead....and, damn few actually look at their charts, they're too busy clicking on a "waypoint"!)
Old 21-09-2022, 18:42   #34

Boat: Island Packet 40

To the OP: You’re wrong. (…and as has been pointed out, separate paragraphs are your friend).

Bob
Old 21-09-2022, 18:46   #35

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Ka4WJA:

Bravo.

I wish there were more people like you living ashore near anchorages. One of my most memorable experiences is with something similar. There was this guy that lived where I anchored. He was really into multi hulls. He had a Newick design trimaran.

he came out to check us out within a couple days. And then we had a great conversation about a shared interest. From there, he let us put some trash into his weekly trash take out. He gave us a little wood for heat and I split some wood for him in exchange. Then we had a nice dinner the night before we left.

I’m a guy who likes to use my boat for solitude. I don’t like to talk to people. I don’t like to socialize. But this was really special. It’s really something to have someone come out to your boat to talk. I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this.

likewise, nobody should ever stay in one place like what you are describing. That’s just an abuse of a privilege. And what ruins it for everyone else.

But I do wish there were more people like you that took an interest and went out to the boat to see what it was all about. I think face-to-face communication goes a long way toward helping two parties get along.

and I might add that it can’t be on the boater to initiate this. Because that’s trespassing and really bad. So it’s really up to the homeowner to go out and see what the boater is all about.

another experience we had was riding out a nor’easter and somebody came out just to see how we were doing. this guy owns the entire neck that sticks out into the bay. His house is on the end of it. There is a private beach. This is where they film the great Gatsby. All of that. So really wealthy guy. But he was really nice. He wanted to check us out because we were there for at least a week. This was during Covid. We were hiding out a bit. When it first started and nobody really knew what was going on. But it was really nice of him to come out and see how we were doing. The winds were over a hurricane force. He was surprised we made it. Plus it wasn’t that big of a deal actually. But it was nice to have him come out and check on us.
Old 21-09-2022, 20:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Just a question, to anyone familiar with cruising Florida - are there many yacht clubs in Florida, and if so, do they offer reciprocal privileges (short-term stays) to members of other clubs?

In our area (Great Lakes) membership at most yacht clubs has reciprocal privileges, which makes it easy and inexpensive to cruise around the lakes.

Check out Coconut Grove sailing club. It’s the poor man’s yacht club and I’m a member.

They have been around for about 80 years ago and have reciprocal privileges with many other clubs across the country.

You can give them a call. Lauren would be able to get you the full list.

For the record, the city dock is about 500 north of CGSC and anyone can pull up a dingy…
Old 22-09-2022, 17:50   #37

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Check out Coconut Grove sailing club. It’s the poor man’s yacht club and I’m a member.

They have been around for about 80 years ago and have reciprocal privileges with many other clubs across the country.

You can give them a call. Lauren would be able to get you the full list.

For the record, the city dock is about 500 north of CGSC and anyone can pull up a dingy…
I was just looking at the chart for that area. After entering the Dinner Key channel and passing R16 to the north of Dinner Key there looks like a substantial area with depths marked 7.8'

Any reason why I can't just drop the hook there for a few nights and use the city dock? Is there water on the city dock?

btw this is a great thread, not necessarily for the OP's reasons, but I'm copying down all these locations and stuffing them in my notes for this winters meander down to the keys.
Old 22-09-2022, 17:59   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
btw this is a great thread, not necessarily for the OP's reasons, but I'm copying down all these locations and stuffing them in my notes for this winters meander down to the keys.
Yes, absolutely. (meandering about the Keys is on my bucket list). Thanks, Florideans, for these tips.
Old 23-09-2022, 03:56   #39

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
you didn’t read the post? Just the title? And even that you didn’t read?

They clearly are cruising.
I doubt it. Not only can I read, but I can read between the lines and draw inferences. You should try it sometime.

Here is a good question for you, since you seem to believe the OP word for word. What is a supposed "cruiser" doing in Florida during the peak of hurricane season, complaining about access and cruising costs?

This week, Wednesday a.m., Tropical Depression Nine is predicted to hit Florida as a full-blown hurricane. A number of unfortunate souls may suffer the consequences.

The smart "cruisers" head south to the Bahamas/Caribbean after November 1st, in accordance with insurance requirements. The smart "cruisers" are currently holed up in comfortable, temperate climates to the north. The smart "cruisers" spend the summer in scenic, comfortable areas of New England and Canada, and may be now in CT, RI, NY, NJ or the Chesapeake Bay.

The OP sounds like someone who wants to park her boat in a Florida waterway and live on the cheap. Perhaps she can explain why she is there during peak hurricane season, if she is truly a "cruiser", as you seem to believe...
Old 23-09-2022, 06:38   #40

The problem is that there are now too many yachts and they have become a nuisance. Probably caused by the few that have abused privileges.
Old 23-09-2022, 06:43   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1983 Catalina 25

Complete nonsense!
Requiring that a boat can move under its own power and is maintained properly to avoid any sort of groundings or collisions with other boats is not an attack. It's common sense! The waterways are not meant for derelict boats!
I've crused all up and down the icw and have dropped anchor anywhere I want and never once have single issue.
Like you I avoid marinas because of the cost and have turned my boat into a vessel that can go weeks on anchor and that's exactly what we do.
Old 23-09-2022, 06:43   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Sooo where is Florida are you?
And what kind of boat are you sailing?

Though I don’t disagree that south FLORIDA is unkind to the cruising community, I do not think this was a true for the entire state. St Augustine for instance and a gem.

Down in Miami l, it’s kinda sad.
Here in Clearwater there are a record number of cruisers anchored out. They seem to like it!
Old 23-09-2022, 06:48   #43

Boat: 1972 Hatteras 45C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Pay to anchor?
No
Land your Dinghy
Old 23-09-2022, 06:50   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1983 Catalina 25

I'm based out of Tampa Bay area.
And you're right , some areas are less kind than others but I find that it's more for the locals than Cruisers. Like what's going on in the keys , not allowing locals to live on their boats making them move mooring's every couple months is nonsense! But as a cruiser it is very friendly.
Old 23-09-2022, 07:00   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Here in Clearwater there are a record number of cruisers anchored out. They seem to like it!
Plus the City will come pump out your holding tank free --just call them for appointment - and its at dock or at anchor!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, florida