Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 14:07   #16

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Cruising grounds in retirement

Yes, there is easily 10 seasons of cruising from 'Newfound to the Carolinas and further south'. You'll enjoy some places more than others, likely revisit some places, and maybe switch it up and cross an ocean in 5 years or do something different. Going down the east coast you can stop and fly home when you want, same goes for points south with planning. And ya you can do it in style with a decent Catalina.

Cruising the US east coast gives you wild places, national parks and seashores, historical sites, and large metropolitan areas w museums, shows good food and booze. If you're interested in all the different options then there's a lot to see and do.

Also there's great opportunities for passagemaking experience. Get some crew or do some short legs on your own.

Whether you will want to keep at it for 10 years or not I have no idea but plenty of people do. And if you don't, you can sail somewhere else, or do something else.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 20:38   #17

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

I have been to the Carolina tidewater areas but not by boat. They were inviting and lovely but can a sailboat gunk hole easily there?
By the way I have taken friends and family on warm water charters. Eventually I hear the same comment so now I "Wait for it". It's " You know. , this isn't as glamorous as it sounds."

I can solo a boat in coastal waters and do not need crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 22:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield55 View Post
I have been to the Carolina tidewater areas but not by boat. They were inviting and lovely but can a sailboat gunk hole easily there?
By the way I have taken friends and family on warm water charters. Eventually I hear the same comment so now I "Wait for it". It's " You know. , this isn't as glamorous as it sounds."

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Lots of places in the Carolinas but it's much different from the Great Lakes. Particularly as you get south towards Georgia, the tides and tidal currents play a big role in choosing a spot.

Just to clarify, when you say Gunkhole, I'm presuming you mean anchoring in out of the way places. That's very easy to find. There are plenty of places to anchor near towns and cities also but they will be much more crowded.

Also, I'm presuming you are not implying that you would winterr over at anchor there. While nothing like Michigan, it still gets pretty cold. When we wintered over in Georgia, we got a slip so we could run the electic heat and on cold days it was running 24hrs a day and it was still cool (but comfortable) in the boat. Without the heat we would have given up.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 23:27   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

[QUOTE=dangerfield55;1951733]

Dangerfield - did you read the posting??? I posted that I single handed a 40'boat from Miami to Hadley Harbor and back.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men, retirement