Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2021, 08:28   #1

Boat: Rhodes 41
Cruising with a dog.

Our old girl is a bit of a mutt. We got her from a neighbor 12 years ago. The mom was a mutt too. Looked like a short-haired golden retriever, if there were such a thing. We're not sure who the dad was but we suspect it was a boxer mix we'd see running around the neighborhood sometimes.

When we got ginger, she looked a lot like a boxer. With her coloring and build, it was clear she had a lot of boxer in her. The thing is, now that she's old, going grey, and filling out a bit, she looks a lot like a pitbull mix. I don't think she has any pit in her but she might. It doesn't really matter to me except that I know a lot of islands have laws against bringing in pit mixes.

When she was younger, probably up to about 8 years old, the vet marker her down as a boxer mix. We just moved and got her rabies updated and noticed that the vet marked her as a pit mix.

What islands are relaxed with dog policies?
Hillbillybuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 13:06   #2

Re: Cruising with a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillybuddha View Post
What islands are relaxed with dog policies?
Check Noonsite: https://www.noonsite.com/

Also here's a recent thread about cruising with a dog:

Cruising with (or without) a Dog
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...og-252100.html

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 17:35   #3

Boat: temporarily boatless...

You know, one of the benefits of modern technology is that genetic testing is quite cheap. You can get a legal determination of your dog's breed for under $100. Of course you may find out it DOES have pit bull lineage, in which case the results don't really help you. Just FYI in case you didn't already know. I hope you find a way. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 17:48   #4

Boat: Rhodes 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
You know, one of the benefits of modern technology is that genetic testing is quite cheap. You can get a legal determination of your dog's breed for under $100. Of course you may find out it DOES have pit bull lineage, in which case the results don't really help you. Just FYI in case you didn't already know. I hope you find a way. Pete
I don't know why I didn't think of that. That's actually a great idea. I also figured out that the Dominican Republic doesn't have act restrictions.
Hillbillybuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 14:35   #5

For several seasons I’ve cruised the virgins and eastern chain of the Caribbean and found the French islands to be the most dog friendly (St Barts, St Maartin, Guadeloupe, les Saintes, Marie Gallante, Martinique). You don’t need to produce any document when checking in. However, the British islands are difficult as well as Antigua, St Lucia, Grenada and the BVI’s. With the proper paperwork all the islands are doable. Check Noonsite for each islands specifics. The one required document that can take some months to receive for the British isles and a few others is the Titer Rabies Test. Good luck and enjoy your pet in the islands - we did!
smallchange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising