Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Cuba for Americans?

The new "loophole" is to go there for an educational event. These are usually very structured with chaperones, lectures, tour buses etc. I'm not sure that you are allowed to wander off alone, ever. Anybody can join one for an "education" but you have to be part of the chartered flight from the US.
Just to emphasize the no spending money part, the prosecution is handled by the Treasury Dept not the Justice Dept. This is only civil. They can take your money and boat but not your freedom i.e. put you in jail. BOB
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Take a Canadian to Cuba and have him buy your drinks.

You buy the ride there.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 03-01-2012, 18:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
This is only civil. They can take your money and boat but not your freedom i.e. put you in jail. BOB
Assuming you fess up and admit everything on your customs forms when you return to the U.S., that's true. Lie on those forms, though, and you have committed a federal crime that most certainly is punishable by a nice, long stay in a federal prison.
Old 03-01-2012, 18:12   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
The 'workarounds' are to either become a journalist/writer and prove to the US government that you are going there for good reason, OR, contract a citizen of another country (like Canada) to "sponsor" your travels. They will pay for everything in their non-US dollars, and you will pay them back....
Academics can also travel if the trip relates to their teaching or scholarship.
Old 03-01-2012, 20:50   #20

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
---- Still think I'll wait a while.
I'm in my late sixties. Waiting for damn near anything is not in my plans.

What's my biggest fear? Sitting in a rocking chair on the porch when I'm seriously old and saying "I COULD have done that".

In the words of a John D. McDonald character, "Scroom".
Old 03-01-2012, 20:59   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I'm in my late sixties. Waiting for damn near anything is not in my plans.

What's my biggest fear? Sitting in a rocking chair on the porch when I'm seriously old and saying "I COULD have done that".

In the words of a John D. McDonald character, "Scroom".
Well, I won't wait forever. I'm still early sixties so will give the idiots in DC another couple of years to get their shirt together before I get tired of waiting and go where I like.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:12   #22

Boat: Leopard 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not a loophole as in a way that US citizens can travel to Cuba legally, it is a way to circumvent the restrictions, but travel to Cuba by US citizens is still prohibited whether you fly from Canada, Nassau, Mexico or Jamaica.

Same applies to sailing.
It is not prohibited for americans to go to cuba. It is prohibited for americans to spend money/dollars there. The most US citizens I got to know there (tons of them) gave a s...t about it or spent euros.

Look into the internet, but don't start to search with the INS, but with the Department of treasuries.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:41   #23

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5609 View Post
It is not prohibited for americans to go to cuba. It is prohibited for americans to spend money/dollars there. The most US citizens I got to know there (tons of them) gave a s...t about it or spent euros.

Look into the internet, but don't start to search with the INS, but with the Department of treasuries.

This is quoted over and over and over again and it is just not correct. George Bush changed all of this during his Administration and it still is the policy today. It is a violation for any American to travel to Cuba from anywhere on the planet without permission from the US Government, the Treasury Department. February 26, 2004. President Bush signs Presidential Proclamation 7757, which bans vessels from traveling to Cuban ports from U.S. ports. This also included most other forms of travel.

In May to June of 2004, Following the recommendations of the Colin Powell-led Commission for Assistance to a Free Cuba, President Bush allocated $59 million for democracy-building policies, including support for Radio and TV Marti. In June, US Departments of Treasury and Commerce act on other Commission recommendations to further restrict family visits and private humanitarian assistance to Cuba. (CRS 2006, 13; White House Press Release, 6 May 2004)

Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 04-01-2012, 12:51   #24

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
This is quoted over and over and over again and it is just not correct. George Bush changed all of this during his Administration and it still is the policy today. It is a violation for any American to travel to Cuba from anywhere on the planet without permission from the US Government, the Treasury Department. February 26, 2004. President Bush signs Presidential Proclamation 7757, which bans vessels from traveling to Cuban ports from U.S. ports. This also included most other forms of travel.

In May to June of 2004, Following the recommendations of the Colin Powell-led Commission for Assistance to a Free Cuba, President Bush allocated $59 million for democracy-building policies, including support for Radio and TV Marti. In June, US Departments of Treasury and Commerce act on other Commission recommendations to further restrict family visits and private humanitarian assistance to Cuba. (CRS 2006, 13; White House Press Release, 6 May 2004)

Chuck
There are rules and regulations and then there are laws. If you travel to Cuba you are violating rules and regulations but not the law. Only congress can pass a law and only a violation of that law will allow you to be prosecuted and imprisoned. Show me the law where you can be imprisoned for traveling to Cuba.
Here's your Presidential Proclamation
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_7757
Old 04-01-2012, 13:31   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So I can't bring a boatload of humanitarian relief supplies to that poor garrison stranded at Guantanamo? No girlie magazines and beers for the soldiers?
Old 04-01-2012, 13:43   #26

Boat: Hermann Lazyjack 32 schooner

OFAC's website says it relies on the Trading With the Enemy Act (50 USC App) as the statutory basis for the Cuban embargo and restrictions. Section 16 of the TWEA says that individuals may upon conviction be imprisoned for up to 10 years for violation of any rule, regulation or order of the President related to the Act. See http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...ments/twea.pdf
Old 04-01-2012, 13:48   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5609 View Post

Well yes. Did you happen to read post #11 in this thread with links to the DofT website?

I know people that have been there as well and have not heard of anyone I know personally having been penalized. BUT, not a risk I want to take at this time, especially with my boat.
Old 04-01-2012, 15:18   #28

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Our cruise was during the Clinton Administration and was legal in the strict sense of the word. We wrote about it for Soundings magazine and it is posted on our website here . While we could have just as easily been under a journalist license since we were commissioned by Soundings, we decide to forgo the license and take the trip as any other cruiser AT THAT TIME. We could not make the same trip today without a license. It is the highlight of our cruising experience, and we have covered a lot of miles. When the time comes or the opportunity presents itself, we will be one of the first boats to head south. We have a standing written invitation from Commodore Escrich to come and spend time with him discussing the "new" Cuba for boaters. Right now there are several new large marina developments in preparation for just that time. We can only hope it happens soon. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 04-01-2012, 15:59   #29

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Some "get away with it" and some don't. A few cases I know of where people got "caught" resulted in fines in the $7-$10K range (way less than the max of $250K and/or prison time). These were folks who took flights from other countries (which is blatantly in violation of the economic embargo...and since they are obviously trying to be sneaky about it is not going to look good when questioned).

It is really a question for the original poster: Sure you can do it (legally or otherwise), but is the risk/reward worth it to you?
Old 04-01-2012, 17:19   #30

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"

I have been waiting for years to go to Cuba. My grandparents lived there from the mid twenties until about 1956. My aunt lived there until she was 16. My grandfather managed sugar mills until the Castro regime. If we ever get the embargo lifted in my lifetime, I'll be one of the first boats en route. I'd like to make it to the communities where he lived/worked to visit with some of the elderly who may remember him. Probably not too many Irish-Americans with roots in Cuba.
Tommy Mc
Closed Thread

Tags
Cuba, cuba