Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 22:08   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Cuba -> Guatemala during Hurricane season? Risky?

If not familiar with the tropical weather, just don't be out there when a tropical wave passes. Learned that one the hard way but later started playing the windshifts that come with them.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 09:52   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailabroad View Post
Thanks all for your input!

Robert Sailor: "Anything to some rumors that Nanajuana was closed??"

There's a bit more information, but mostly just speculation mostly on the Facebook Rio Duluce groupe...have you seen that?

-Wondered about just cruising in the hurricane season around Trinidad..Hmm
On the Rio now, but haven't actually been by Nanajuana. Various rumors here too, but rumor mill here is always out of control on the Rio.

Owner was apparently arrested as part of the SAT (Customs) scam that also landed the President and Vice President in jail. At best, I would say the status on Nanajuana is uncertain and a matter of speculation (a popular pass time here on the Rio!).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 23:13   #18

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

I've lived close to 40 years in the New Orleans area and watch storms carefully. My impression is that early season storms are more apt to form in the Caribbean or off the islands in the Atlantic, and later season storms form off Africa, or in the open Atlantic further south of the islands. Historically the highest occurrence of storms is toward the end of the season in late August, September and October. You should get at least 4 days of warning unless one forms in the western Caribbean.
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 04:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
On the Rio now, but haven't actually been by Nanajuana. Various rumors here too, but rumor mill here is always out of control on the Rio.

Owner was apparently arrested as part of the SAT (Customs) scam that also landed the President and Vice President in jail. At best, I would say the status on Nanajuana is uncertain and a matter of speculation (a popular pass time here on the Rio!).
We are only a day sail away right now but going to head to Belize for several weeks before heading your way. If you are around when we get there (I'll drop you a note) drop by and say hi. Thanks for the feedback. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 05:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Another question for those of you in the know..is it better to fly out of Gautamala City or San Pedro Honduras when flying back to Canada? Looks like we can get a better deal out of Honduras and the bus ride is shorter from Rio Duluce. .is there anything we may have overlooked? Do the buses go to both airports??
Cheaper flights out of SPS, but often bad schedule. Better selection of fights in Guate.

Other options: Belize (usually expensive), Flores also has limited international flights.

By the time you factor in getting from Fronteras to the border, border crossings, etc the travel time difference is not so dramatic for SPS vs Guate.

Between SPS and the Rio, Ive usually just gone with whatever mode of transport I can grab quickest for each leg: bus, microbus, taxi, launcha...rather than waiting around, but you need to travel light and have decent Spanish skills to do this.
Old 29-03-2016, 06:31   #21

NOAA now has a very good interactive hurricane track database (though some of the filters aren't working for me):

https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/?redirect=301ocm

Historic storm count for early season (June-July) time frame in question is quite low...especially in the last 10 years. Dramatic jump in late season count.

Quite a few, though still a relativley small number, have originated in the SW Carib, which was new info to me.
Old 29-03-2016, 06:37   #22

My Spanish sucks and I have traveled all through Guatemala and the rest of the Central American nations except El Salvador. If traveling on chicken bus just name the city and they will take care of getting you to each city. Guatemala is a wonderful place to travel with tons of great sites and activities in a small country, with easy public transit and lots indigenous culture. The history, geography, geology, biodiversity,and a beautiful indigenous culture make Guatemala my favorite Central American nation to visit.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 07:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat10 View Post
My Spanish sucks and I have traveled all through Guatemala and the rest of the Central American nations except El Salvador. If traveling on chicken bus just name the city and they will take care of getting you to each city. Guatemala is a wonderful place to travel with tons of great sites and activities in a small country, with easy public transit and lots indigenous culture. The history, geography, geology, biodiversity,and a beautiful indigenous culture make Guatemala my favorite Central American nation to visit.
Yes, Guatemala is an amazing country. Ive lived/travelled all over Central America for over a decade now and Guate is still by far my favorite (and my home base for many years). Stunningly beautiful, great people, indigenous culture (past and present).

El Salvador has a beautiful Pacific coast...just a days journey from Guate City.

Tags
Cuba, Guatemala, hurricane