Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 17:54   #1

Boat: Pass Port 47 CC
Cuba paper work

My wife and I are planning to sail our Pass Port 47 cc to Cuba this February.
We are both US doctors so I do not see a problem getting permits for our bodies to travel there from US. But has anyone been able to navigate the Simplified Network Application Process - Redesign (SNAP-R) that allows your boat to come and go from the US to Cuba?
If you have plans to go lets talk. Tom
tomritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 18:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Cuba paper work

I would be interested to hear of anyone completed this successfully on their own and if it was every asked for when returning from Cuba. i believe regattas and rallies handle this for the entrants.

I visited Cuba in 2009 and got no such permits, but did return via Grand Cayman.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Tom-

Assuming you are US flagged and insured, check with your insurance company. I had all the paperwork bases covered and then I called them. Because they still can't do business they have no way of repairing a vessel in Cuba. Absent a support network for repairs they would not cover me.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

You're carrying full coverage on a Tarten 33? S florida insurance rates out me off insurance for my boats in 2002. Maybe rates have gotten better, but I was paying something like $1500 on $50,000 plus survey costs.

Would be a problem on a higher dollar boat. My concern was if I ran into any issue, IE running aground, etc there are many reports of cruisers getting screwed by Cuban salvage claims. And as an American we still don't really have any support diplomatically.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Obviously some of the lead presidential candidates want to "change back" all easing of relations.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Yes I have Seaworthy. $800 with coverage to T&C.

Considering they cover me during hurricane season in SFL, I took the insurance. Murphy's Law is if I didn't I would have gotten burnt?

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 13:40   #6

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Snore, That seems plenty reasonable for that coverage.

Tomritter, been there many times, all the best w your planning. Doctors are a dime a dozen there, and are paid about $30/month. Not uncommon for them to do procedures on the side for extra cash for people that don't want to wait on the system. Patients often bring their own supplies, sheets,towels, etc.

Should not be hard to connect with other physicians, should you choose to.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 13:46   #7
Marine Service Provider

I don't want to get into a whole thing on this, but who gets "procedures" done on the side for cash?

Also, I'm not an expert on Cuban wages but it's at least $60 a month for a doctor, plus a house, plus car.

Again, not wanting to make a big thing of it but have a look at how most Guatemalans and Hondurans live and you'll see the average Cuban is much healthier and safer.
Old 11-11-2015, 15:47   #8

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Cuban citizens, trying to get procedures done that they haven't been approved for, or would be delayed. Plastic surgery is common on the side. Other major surgeries too I'm told. By doctors and social workers there.

That's the average monthly salary for Cubans, doctors make the same through their official work.

My apologies for the thread drift...
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 17:13   #9
Marine Service Provider

I was wrong $67! Cuba hikes salaries for doctors, nurses to as much as $67 a month | Fox News

So you reckon, they just do some plastic surgery in their garage on the weekends?

Seriously though, Cuba is a real trip. When I was there in 2009, I keep thinking "this could be the U.S. In 20 years" now I don't mean a revolution but complete decay due to inaction and zero incentive to fix anything that needs fixing.

I'm sure we'll "make America great" so no worries.

Tags
Cuba