Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2022, 00:02   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Question Customs and Immigration question about BVIs and USVIs

So let's say I have a US flagged vessel in the BVIs.

I'm flying from New York to St. Thomas. No need for customs.
I take ferry from St. Thomas to Tortola, BVIs... I'll go through customs.
I get on my own boat in Tortola and then sail around St. Thomas... which means I need to clear out of BVIs and clear in to US, correct?

Then I sail back to the marina in the BVIs to leave my boat... so I need to clear out of US and clear in into BVIs, right? Or, no?

And then when I leave my boat in the BVIs and take ferry back to St. Thomas to go back to the airport (since I don't want to leave via EIS airport), then I need to clear out of BVIs and into US again?

Is this really all necessary? I understand it's for safety and I completely agree with it... but would there be something easier for me to do?
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Customs and Immigration question about BVIs and USVIs

Following.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:40   #3

Boat: EDELCAT33

Yes you do as they (BVI) are sovereign countries.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:36   #4

When you leave the United States (USVI) you are not required to clear out. Everything else that you listed, though, is correct. The only easier thing to do would be to find a way not to go back and forth so much.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:48   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
So let's say I have a US flagged vessel in the BVIs.

I'm flying from New York to St. Thomas. No need for customs.
I take ferry from St. Thomas to Tortola, BVIs... I'll go through customs.
I get on my own boat in Tortola and then sail around St. Thomas... which means I need to clear out of BVIs and clear in to US, correct?
Correct, you as a person has cleared into the BVI, but now the person and the boat are leaving the BVI, so you need to do an exit clearance from the BVI. They may ask you not only for your passport and boat entrance papers, but also for your temporary import duty payment receipt for the boat, which needs to be paid if the boat remains in the BVI for any period of time.

Quote:
Then I sail back to the marina in the BVIs to leave my boat... so I need to clear out of US and clear in into BVIs, right? Or, no?
The US does not require an exit clearance, and the BVI has extensive experience in the lack of Zarpes from boats coming in from St. Thomas/St. John so that won't be a problem. You as a person and the boat will clear into the BVI and receive a stamp in your passport and entrance papers for the boat.
Quote:
And then when I leave my boat in the BVIs and take ferry back to St. Thomas to go back to the airport (since I don't want to leave via EIS airport), then I need to clear out of BVIs and into US again?
The boat remains in the BVI so all you need to do is ensure that the temporary import is paid and then you as a person leave the BVI through their immigration and enter the USA through the American CBP.

Quote:
Is this really all necessary? I understand it's for safety and I completely agree with it... but would there be something easier for me to do?
No, unfortunately not.

Tags
BVI, customs