Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 06:33   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50
Re: Customs&Procedere going from BVI to USVI and back by charter boat

BS'er - On past BVI charters, I did guest pickups both at West End, Tortola and Great Harbour, JVD, and also Cruz Bay. My key consideration was their STT flight arrival time and the risk of missing the last ferry (due to flight delay or possible ferry cancellation). St John ferry runs hourly til midnight with multiple boats so low risk. Last ferry to West End (Smiths) is scheduled to leave 4:30 (M-Sa) & 5:15 (Su). Last ferry to JVD departs 2:45 (M-W, Sa), 2:00 (F), 4:00 (Su), no ferry on Th.

Pickup in West End or JVD is certainly easiest for the captain, especially if you are on a short charter and not interested in visiting the beautiful beachbar-free national park beaches on St John.

Clearing out of BVI is straightforward if charter company provides you the ships papers and a blank manifest and blank customs declaration forms (forms available at C&I). Filling out the manifest takes a few minutes. Upon departure, only you need to go to C&I with the manifest and all passports. Should take less than 15 minutes. Upon your return to BVI, simply add the new crew member info to the manifest. Every crew member will need to fill out a customs declaration form. Again only you will need to go to C&I with forms, passports, plus your NPS mooring permit and any documentation showing cruising permit already paid for thru the charter company.

For Cruz Bay clearance, I think the most straightforward is to take a mooring ball at nearby Lind Point then dinghy to Cruz Bay. There is a dinghy dock on both sides of the large ferry pier where guests will later arrive. From there it's a 100 yd walk to the left to the C&I building. All current crew members will need to be present at C&I. You will need to fill out a ships manifest (CBP Form 1300) and current crew list (CBP Form I-418) - both available online. Take 2 dinghy trips if you need to as it can be choppy as you round Lind Pt. I think the rules are that if staying less than 72 hrs in USVI waters, you will not have to return to C&I to clear-out. Simply pickup your new crew and depart when ready.

Yes you can also anchor in the designated anchorage to port as you enter Cruz Bay (3 hr time limit, no overnight). I saw that it was completely full when I cleared in this past Tuesday afternoon. If your guests arrive after dark, then negotiating out of the anchorage and bay would be tricky. I would also be skeptical about leaving the boat at Maho while you clear-in as C&I can request that you present the vessel. I've never tried arriving via the Caneel Bay dinghy dock.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 13:58   #17

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. It is a bareboat charter and I am the captain. Have chartered a few times down there but thus far I have avoided the customs clearing routine (Either stayed in BVI or PR + Vieques + StT). That is why I am asking.

We are probably going to visit our friends that live near Hull Bay the weekend before our sons arrive. But we might meet them on JSV and there fore we would not even go to the USVI at all. But that part is not clear yet, and so I thought we were going to meet them on St. John or StT.

But your experiences/advice is very helpful and appreciated.

BSer
Hull bay isn't that bad unless the swell is out of the north. The issue is where to park the dinghy. If your friends live there, then they probably know a few "Frenchies" (fishermen) than pretty much own that bay. Talk to them first before showing up, and you will be fine. In other words, show respect by asking permission, and you will find you will have a mooring , and a place for the dinghy..
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 21:32   #18

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

WOW! I have been sailing between BVI and STT for nearly 20 years and had no idea that all of these options were available. Thank you for the insight! Just a mention that the mooring bouys within the St. John National Park System at $15 per night / 1/2 that with a Golden Age card. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 03:33   #19

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
WOW! I have been sailing between BVI and STT for nearly 20 years and had no idea that all of these options were available. Thank you for the insight! Just a mention that the mooring bouys within the St. John National Park System at $15 per night / 1/2 that with a Golden Age card. George

Just an update for you. The bargain of St John moorings is no more. Current prices are $26 per night/ 1/2 that with a Golden Age card.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 20:06   #20

What is this Golden Age card you speak of?
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 20:15   #21

US National Park Service has replaced Golden Age Passport with Senior Pass. Senior Pass description on NPS.gov website:

- $10 Lifetime pass

- For U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over.

- May be obtained online, in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using this application form. The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail or online is twenty dollars ($20). Ten ($10) for the Senior Pass and ten ($10) for processing the application. Applicants must provide documentation of age and residency or citizenship.

- May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.

- Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

Note: Golden Age Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass.
Old 28-02-2017, 16:27   #22

One thing I am still not clear on. If my sons and girlfriends fly to STT and meet us at Cruz Bay, then we head back to the BVI, do they have to check out at Customs in Cruz Bay first? That would require them to personally show up at the C&I office, right?
Old 28-02-2017, 16:32   #23

No. They do not formally clear out of the USVI - no different than getting on the STT to BVI ferry. You (only) will clear in the vessel and entire crew at BVI C&I - add the new crew members' info to the BVI manifest they stamped when you cleared out.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:14   #24

Great.

And at 59 I am too young for the Senior Pass. I'm just coming up!

Tags
charter, customs