Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2022, 04:40   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Delaware Bay in a moderate southerly

Getting a forecast and recommendation from a professional router would be a good plan, probably much more info than calling the USCG. Chris Parker with the marine weather center covers the east coast. I have found his routing info for the Delaware River and NJ coasts to be quite good. Also Commanders Weather is another option.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:27   #17

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post

MY QUESTION: expected conditions in the Delaware = winds out of south 15-20 knots. Is that going to set up a steep, uncomfortable and speed-killing chop?
We’ve done the Delaware Bay several times in both directions. To answer your specific question, yes. It will be a steep, uncomfortable and speed-killing chop with that wind speed and direction. You could always bail and anchor in the Cohansey if you’ve had enough. A cruising friend once called the Delaware “an unholy body of water.” It’s an apt description.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:27   #18

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Redneck Rob is gave you excellent advice.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:36   #19

DE Bay in summer can be crappy but don't let it scare you away. SW work your way to the Delaware shoreline and sail the bay- just be aware of the various shoals, particularly Joe Flogger. But getting away from the deep water and opposing wind/current is a tremendous night/day effect.
The commercial traffic is restrained to the channel so if well out of the 45'/32' depth will be fine.
Some crab pots but again, no worse than the Chesapeake.
In lower Bay be aware at night that commercial traffic is very busy, so again, stay out of the shipping lanes and you will be fine. .25 mile off beach just around the point of Cape May and go north.
Get through C+D canal and if needed anchor behind Reedy Island waiting for favorable conditions. Be aware that once past Reedy Island the next safe anchorage is Harbor of Refuge/Lewes. The creeks are deep in Delaware but generally only accessible on high tide. (5.6' tide)
On the Jersey Coast only Cape May, Atlantic City, and Manasquan inlets are safe and deep. Also plan your fuel.
Arrival NY be very aware of the commercial traffic areas.
As to scheduling- in summer allow 12 hour windows for weather changes.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:12   #20

I have taken boats north/south professionally and have always said, "If it weren't for the Jersey coast and the damned Delaware... I'd have far fewer clients".

Going south on the Chesp. from the Magothy may look inviting but it is a much longer trip than going up to and thru the C&D. I think someone has said here "100 miles more" and I'd expect that's close, if not more distance. Now if you were starting in Norfolk, that's different.

There are only a few places to "duck in" on both the Delmarva and the NJ coasts. That's why, I'm sure, the ret'd. CG guy would probably give you such a great warning.

I am also always reminded of some buddies who sailed Block Is. Week and when returning to the Chesapeake, fell asleep, hit bottom -- boat lost on the NJ coast

If you have even moderate wind against an opposing current on the DEL -- Rock and Roll.. boom boom boom.

I took a boat to NE harbor ME one year down the DEL and with a not-so-experienced crew and when they asked if they "could have a look about Cape May" -- I said "No.." because I could see in their eyes that they'd call for someone to take them away if they got ashore. We were all good once we were offshore and that's some comment !

While there's a bit of water depth in the northern part of the DEL but in the south, you'll much more have to be closer to or more in the ship channel. It's an active ship waterway. Never-mind the biting flies, it is usually nasty and stinging brown water.

I don't know your air draft re the Cape May canal but I'd be cautious once inside the harbor and route leading from the DEL to the ocean side as the markers need good steering attention for cross channel currents. There are only a very few good anchoring spots in there and if there's a fishing tourney on .. limited to no dockage.

I have gone up close to the Cape May beach more than once and would not try it at night or at High tide or with wind from the east. It is CLOSE that works -- like "between the swimmers" close -- yet every time I've done it, I had to wonder if I'd pee'd in my pants. If one can read the water with sun behind..a bit better.

I have used the harbor of refuge off Lewes if finding we need rest or if hostile to go offshore or wrong timing for the DEL. There are facilities inside at Lewes but draft can be limiting We have used that harbor to change crews, leave a boat and come back later.

Atlantic City -- can be seen a long way off but I do get chills with what it is devoted to.

I once agreed to take a boat from Chesp. City to Essex Ct. though warned that the owner was "sloppy in planning". He had been a friend and assured me repeatedly that he'd have "navigation needs covered" but once aboard, I found there were no charts. He had only a couple of golf course pencils and an Esso !! road map.

We were to be 5 aboard and he showed up with a bag of 18 roast beef sandwiches.
We ran out of fuel at Ship John lighthouse and sailed around and up to Atlantic City for fuel. No charts to be found there !

I took the boat through NYC and out to the CT River without charts and can say I was proud we made it. This owner became an ex-friend because he said he was "very disappointed" that we had not gone from the NJ Coast to Montauk and that was he'd wanted.

I hate to deflate you on this as it is quite stunning to arrive in NYC !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 06:53   #21

I would call the harbor master at Delaware City Marina. He gives a no nonsense talk to those that are transient and heading down the DE about what to expect. I went against his advice as I had “got to be there itis” in going to Lewes one year and paid for it with the absolute worst sailing journey possible. And that’s after sailing through a micro burst storm on Chesapeake Bay with 40+ kn winds where 5 souls were lost.
Aww Shucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 06:55   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

His name is Tim, Tim Puskus. He owns Delaware City Marina. He gives transients an early morning weather briefing.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 07:23   #23

I am curious- does anyone have opinion on passing of Barnegat inlet area/Point transiting north-south NY/Cape May?
Specifically wave /weather conditions at the point- does one travel 1 mile off beach or 10-15 miles off to get the least sea confusion in the afternoons? I just wonder if the currents and wind at that point create a confused sea phenomenon similar to say Diamond shoals/ Hatteras?
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 07:24   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I finally took someone's suggestion here and called both the Cape May Coast Guard station and Tow Boat U.S. there. The latter, in particular, was helpful.

We ended up doing the Delmarva counterclockwise from Annapolis area (wrong way, as it turned out), reached the Delaware bay in the wee hours to catch the tide (although too early, it turned out) in a light southerly. All was fine.

The Delaware is just as boring and fly-ridden as I remember!
Old 22-07-2022, 08:01   #25

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I actually called the Cape May Coast Guard station to see if they could give me a sense of what conditions on the bay are like in various wind strengths, directions and during flood and ebb tides. The petty officer I spoke with (who said he was a coxswain on one of the boats) was pleasant enough but kept telling me "just watch the weather" (and rather unhelpfully, gave me NWS website). Despite my repeated prodding, I couldn't get any specifics from him.
I can’t help you with your original question, but I just wanted to say that I believe that the Coast Guard are under pressure from the lawyers not to give out very much information.
A few years ago I was considering going out Ponce inlet in Florida and called the Coast Guard station (which overlooks the inlet) and ask for current local knowledge. They flatly stated that they could not give me local knowledge even though they could have looked out their window and told me what the inlet looked like.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 22-07-2022, 13:06   #26

Sometimes we need more people like you
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 17:53   #27

That should be a doable trip for you. It can get choppy and steep in the Delaware bay. But CURRENTS, not TIDES are a critical factor. Look at the current tables, they can be hours different than tides. Water being fluid is not a direct mechanical correlation with tides and currents. It you are worried about depth look at tides. If you are trying to navigate areas like this currents are very important. Have fun. Fair winds AND currents!
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote