Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 04:30   #1

Depth of north anchorage Bimini

Can someone tell me the depth in the north anchorage at Bimini Bahamas. I draw 6'.
Thanks
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Depth of north anchorage Bimini

As of several years ago, you would not make it. Not sure at the moment. I had 6' and anchored in the bight south of the channel. Don't remember exactly where. I usually go direct to Andros if heading south with a 6' draft or direct to Abacos if wanting to go that way.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Bimini Charts, courtesy of Lewis Offshore Ltd (Explorer Charts), and the Bimini Big Game Club:

http://www.biggameclubbimini.com/pdf/chart-bim1.pdf

http://www.biggameclubbimini.com/pdf/chart-bim3.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:54   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Ever since the channel was dredged to the new Bimini Bay Resort, there's about 10 ft. and even more in the northern anchorage (all the way to Bimini Bay). The anchorage north of the Bimini Big Game Club is deep enough too, but its scoured, fouled, and has quite a bit of current. FYI: Some of the marinas there are $0.75/ft. - $1.00/ft. Although we almost never stay in a marina anywhere else in the Bahamas, we always stay at one in Bimini...it's cheap and easy. Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24   #5

Boat: Bristol 34

The anchorage near the Big Game club is precarious to say the least. As stated above the holding is poor, the seabed is littered with junk and the current can get nasty.It's tight and despite the known dangers can get crowded. I draw six feet and made it in and out with only a bump at low tide. I would only anchor there again in very settled weather, dive my anchor and still wouldn't sleep well.

I also suggest taking a marina instead. I moved from the anchorage to Browns Marina (first on left as you enter) for $1/ft/day. They charge extra for water and electricity. Browns was very basic but friendly and had free internet. They have recently made some upgrades to the property and may have upped the price. There is another (name escapes me) marina about the same price/ft near the fuel dock.

Although they have recently dredged the channel be careful of the sandbar on your port side when entering. It shifts constantly. At the first market head straight for the pink condos (not what appears to be the second marker) then make your port turn.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, bimini, depth