Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2020, 13:39   #1

Dismal Swamp.

Hello Everyone!
I am headed south from the Chesapeake into the ICW and wanted to know if anyone has been through the dismal swamp. I really want to see it but have been told the duck weed can be an issue for the engine water pump">raw water pump. We leave on the 1st of november and would love if someone knows first hand how bad it is this year.
Thanks,
-Drew
Drew- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 05:44   #2

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Re: Dismal Swamp.

Hi Drew, did you go through the Dismal Swamp canal yet? If so, what was your experience regarding duckweed? We hope to go through the canal during week of Nov 30. Any advise is much appreciated.
HarryVandermeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 07:07   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

If you want to do it and expect to make the trip north in the future I understand it is much less of a problem in the spring. We made the trip in early June this year and had no problem at all.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 09:48   #4

I did take the Dismal swamp and the duckweed was not an issue at all until i got out of the second lock. It was never seriously thick but it did clog with something in the end.
The strange thing was that the strainer didnt look that bad but the hose going to the raw water pump was sucked in indicating an issue. I used the air horn on the hose after clearing the strainer and it was fine after that. Glad I heard about the horn trick because I think the issue was at the valve or in the hose.
It was still worth it. Have fun and if you see a bear take a picture and post on here please. We hiked looking for one with no luck.
-Drew
Drew- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 15:39   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Bumping the thread for any more recent info, specially real world info on current draft.

I see 6’ posted but I have also seen folks claim to have gotten through with 7’. I am 6-1/2’.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote