Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 20:44   #16

Hey, thanks for the good info!

I am making a list and looking forward to the visit.

Do I have to wear a tie with my bermuda shorts? (joke)

My Bermudian Courtesy flag just arrived from "Lands End", so I will have proper flag etiquette.

pogo
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:34   #17

Boat: Endevour,sloop,40 Destiny
Send a message via AIM to Jim St.Pierre Send a message via Yahoo to Jim St.Pierre
Charts

Hello Everyone, I will be sailing out of the Inner Harbor of Baltimore in May. I am lookingfor a set of charts to get me in ond out of the C& D Canal, anyone have an up to date set they would like to sell me for a fare price??? Looking to hear from someone.. Thanks All... Jim
Old 07-04-2008, 17:57   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Buy a Guide for Cruising Maryland waters...or download the chart from NOAA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD_Map.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	3233   Click image for larger version

Name:	c&d.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	3234  

Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 19:23   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to TX Nautica
Thumbs up Bermuda waters diverse and pristine

The water can be as shallow as 3 feet up to 5 miles out. It's clarity rivals Hawaii, Caribbean and Cozumel. Do venture to one of it's lighthouses, via the bus/ferry pass, and take in the view. This wonderful volcanic island is covered with soil from the Sahara desert and boasts some of the brightest flora anywhere. Do go to the Dockyards before it's docks undergo the major reconstruction right over the coral. Some of the best snorkeling is right off the cruise ship birth. The interesting surprise for me was the many empty beaches which give one the sense of ownership. Enjoy!
TX Nautica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 04:07   #20

Boat: Endevour,sloop,40 Destiny
Send a message via AIM to Jim St.Pierre Send a message via Yahoo to Jim St.Pierre
Thanks Chief, I bought a chart. Any inside info you can give me? Your address tells me you are familiar with the area.. I would appriciate any info, Thanks.
Jim. S/V "Destiny"
Old 17-04-2008, 19:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Nautica View Post
The water can be as shallow as 3 feet up to 5 miles out. It's clarity rivals Hawaii, Caribbean and Cozumel. Do venture to one of it's lighthouses, via the bus/ferry pass, and take in the view. This wonderful volcanic island is covered with soil from the Sahara desert and boasts some of the brightest flora anywhere. Do go to the Dockyards before it's docks undergo the major reconstruction right over the coral. Some of the best snorkeling is right off the cruise ship birth. The interesting surprise for me was the many empty beaches which give one the sense of ownership. Enjoy!
I will do the Dockyards, thanks. Thanks for the advice on shallows. Time is closing and I am not certain everything on the boat will be ready on May 15th.
I am determined to go, weather permitting. I am just going to concentrate on getting the neccesities completed now. Really excited about it.

BTW, the soil from the Sahara...is it carried aloft from wind, duststorms?

pogo
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 03:46   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Airborne Saharan dust

It was interesting to learn from TX Nautica that the soil of Bermuda originated in the Sahara.

Airborne Saharan dust travels long distances across the Atlantic. We see noticable layers of dust on our car and on tabletops in the house after a "dust event" here on Nevis. I've learned to recognize the Saharan dust as tan colored. Dust from the volcano on Monserrat is a purplish brown.

The Saharan dust can create a haze in the air that can cut visibility to less than three miles. It's important to the tropical weather forecasters, because the airborne dust tends to shield the ocean from the sun, resulting in cooler surface water temperatures, making it more difficult for hurricanes to form.

Here's a website that tracks it.

Saharan Air Layer Analysis
Old 18-04-2008, 06:07   #23

When I lived in the Canaries, we would have regular fall out from the Moroccan dust. it would leave quite the coating on EVERYTHING.

I think the sirocco blows it up to Europe too.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 21:06   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
When you plan to transit

Check the tides....

Also the "traffic controll" on the canal will keep you updated as far as other traffic transitting when you do.

When you get throught the canal, checkout Georgetown on the Sassafrass....nice anchoage. Good place to stop before B-More or 'Naplis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim St.Pierre View Post
Thanks Chief, I bought a chart. Any inside info you can give me? Your address tells me you are familiar with the area.. I would appriciate any info, Thanks.
Jim. S/V "Destiny"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 22:52   #25

Boat: Tayana 48 - Mata'irea
I can't help but instantly like anyone whose first thought when arriving in a new spot is "what's good to eat and drink here?"

After a few weeks in Bermuda, a new local friend steered us towards our best eating experience on the island. It isn't fancy, but the Black Horse Tavern in St. David's, which is across the harbor from St. George's, is just about the most "Bermudian" dining experience you can have. Try the fish sandwich with cole slaw and hot sauce or the shark hash.

If you are reprovisioning in Bermuda, the Saturday morning farmer's market in Hamilton is a must.
Mata'irea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 01:21   #26

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
OH, ad if you rent a moped....you go left into the roundabouts....

Finally ( and this almost ended my first visit) check traffic before crossing.
I almost got Pranged by a lorry....when I had just gotten off the boat (literally)
Ahhh - tourists and mopeds. 'Cause no vacation is complete without skin-grafts.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 08:17   #27

Boat: Watkins 29
Re: Do Not Miss Places when in Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Hi All,

Good LORD willing and the boat floats well, I am heading for Bermuda May 15th. Since I haven't been there prior, anyone out there with first hand experiences....

Any special places that I should see or go before leaving for home?

Dining out suggestions?

Any touristy things like "Kissing a Blarney stone" to look forward to?

Or on the other side of it, any place I should be wary of?

Thanks,
Pogo

I was last there in I think 1983...for the Daytona Bermuda cruising race... so I dont know if this is still there...but you must stop in and have a rum swizzle at the Swizzle Inn... Trust me...if its still there...its worth it.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 08:31   #28

Boat: Nassau 34

We go every couple of years, sometimes by boat sometimes fly there- favorite restaurant "Breezes" up at Cambridge resorts. Favorite beach - Jobson cove. Definitely rent a moped and see the island.I love being anchored in St. Georges and its a cute town. A couple of beachs are very close

Also make sure that when your within about 22 miles of Bermuda you contact Bermuda Harbour radio - they keep a watch on traffic coming and going-
Love the island.
Old 13-08-2015, 08:35   #29

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
I was last there in I think 1983...for the Daytona Bermuda cruising race... so I dont know if this is still there...but you must stop in and have a rum swizzle at the Swizzle Inn... Trust me...if its still there...its worth it.

Swizzle Inn and Crawl Out... food was pretty good too as I recall..but for obvious reasons, the memories are a bit fuzzy....as was everything else after a couple of swizzles..
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 09:49   #30

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

This weekend, August 14th, at Tobacco Bay, we are re-enacting the 240th anniversary of Bermudians stealing the British forces gunpowder, while keeping them drunk. American ships anchored just outside the bay and transported the kegs by small boat. We will use Pilot Gigs. (See The Bermuda Pilot Gig Club site ) George Washington was the recipient, for which our archives record his appreciation. Many confused loyalties back then, as now.

Tags
Bermuda