Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 18:50   #31

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Do you think she stands a chance?

Thanks everyone for their thoughts.
Just to assure... that picture was taken when I left her in the yard for a simple bottom job.
Since then, all canvass has been stripped and she has been staked and tied down. Big idea about making sure water has a way out.
Now it is just waiting for the storm to do its thing and for information to trickle in. I expect information to come out slowly.
My heart goes out to all on St Bart's, St Martin and Anguilla. One of my favorite places in the world. Just did this in Houston. Getting tired of hurricanes.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:01   #32

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

In addition to all the above (and Neil Prides recommendation for ground screws is a good one) emphatically remove the jib. I was in New Orleans after Katrina and visited several marinas. Almost all the roller furling jibs were shredded. I saw scores like that. And absolutely use thru bolts on all shoring.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:05   #33

Snokid yes a very dumb question.Apart from the fact that some people have to work and cannot just sail off somewhere, where do you go?Out of the frying pan into the fire.
Calistov 42.Addition to my previous posts. Do they have a storm watch information station on radio or in an office? Do you have a secure place to live.? How high above sea level is it? Good enough to keep you dry? Start with a yes to all, So monitor the progress of the storm. At the same time get in essential stores; Large quantity of potable water and I mean gallons. Tinned food including milk if you have to have it with your tea/coffe. Load the fridge with fruit and veg.Get small portable camping stove + pots/kettle, bag up spare change of clothes (2off per person) set of waterproofs,warm hat. You may be in the tropics but wind and rain can get you very cold.Expect power and water to be cut off without notice, so fill the bath. 2 waterproof torches (at worst water resistant) spare bulbs and batteries. Portable radio + spare batteries. Build yourself a bunker inside the house. Big table you can get under against strongest internal wall or chimney.Couch up against table, fill in one end access by other with some form of closing off. Mattress pillows and blankets. supply of garbage bags (heavy duty) sorry but you might not have a working loo for some time. Rope and life preservers. Axe and good sharp hunting knife. If noise freaks you out, construction guys ear defenders or earphones and your favourite music ..and bike helmet. Fire extinguisher and first aid kit. Passport and any other valuable docs in waterproof bags (zip lock) If this sounds excessive then consider the possibility that the house next door rather than a few roof tiles may loose its entire roof followed by bits of anything inside it. If you can board up the windows on the outside,stops shards of glass flying across the rooms. Might also help to stop your roof taking off, although many are in fact sucked off. More obvious, fill your car with gas. Even if the garages have gas they may not have the power to pump it. if there is a multi story parking facility go park there with engine in the most sheltered corner you can find. If your house is in a zone prone to flood then a broom handle, flag and a few flares from the boat might be useful. Nearly forgot matches/lighter to get the camp stove going and a camp lantern would be a little luxury. Don't forget your medication if you take some. Don't expect the storm to rush by like a train through a station (similar sound) be mentally prepared for hours at least. Now back to the important part; the boat.From the updates on the storm I am getting STEP the mast,Strip everything you can out of the boat including batteries and electrical/electronic gear. If there is a storm wave, or more likely waves of 1 metre + be prepared for some damage, as I said before the blue boats is likely to go along with I believe many more if you get the full storm and they will bump and bang and swill there way around the hard. As a result of multiple waves coming across the hard at my boatyard, the rising and falling back to the ground whilst not puncturing the hull delaminated some of the bulkheads from the hull. A few hatches which did not have locks sailed off never to be seen again.!! I am half minded to suggest filling the hull to stop this happening. Bit radical and an untried act which as I failed to allow for the wave heights of up to 12 feet on the coast did not consider using. In the end she was on her side with 3 to 4 feet of water inside. It took a lot of work but she did recover after her clean up. When the storm is over be prepared for a different world, in my and my wife's case it was the utter silence that struck us most. A feeling of exhaustion and relief at surviving. A neighbour lost a 1 ton safe which was eventually found half a mile away. His bungalow was destroyed. It took months for the services to return and shopping entailed queing up for hours under the view of armed guards. Having said all that, it just might not happen at all or just be a strong wind for a few hours, but better to be prepared than get caught out.
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:07   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Just saw some live video from a friend in Barbuda and they are getting hammered. The amount of debris flying through the air was amazing.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:45   #35

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

Robbie

bvi's to panama is about 1200 miles 150 miles a day sailing just over a week to move just incase.

Yes I know some people have to work.

I totally understand some can't afford to do that.

Sucks that people loose their life's and life savings for sure.
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 20:48   #36

Wouldn't it be safer in a keel pit with the hull sitting on tires ? Having a lower profile and sitting on tires may help it survive 150 MPH winds , or the ground may be swept clean of everything. Good luck, stay safe,
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 20:54   #37

Snokid, the big problem is that the big storms are so unreliable. On Cayman there was an advisary notice about a week ahead of the storm. At 2 days off it was expected to pass well clear of the island. On Friday it had changed course and was now expected in 12 hours. The only other time I felt my life might not continue was when I made a navigation error in a car in the backstreets of Miami.
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 21:05   #38

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

snokid, the real issue is that a bunch of storms form every year, and it takes a few days for the forecasts to really come into focus. If you tried to leave every time there was a storm that could possibly hit 10 days from now, you'd be leaving 6-12 times a year, every year.

And then 2 days after you left, you'd find out the storm turned and you didn't have to leave after all.

Or it weakened a lot, and isn't that big of a deal, so you didn't have to leave after all.

Or you find out if turned, and you're in an even worse predicament than if you'd stayed put.

By the time you know with a high degree of confidence that you're at risk, you have 3-5 days. But even then you don't know if/when it will turn, stall, strengthen or weaken.

Basically, once there's certainty, your options start to become more limited, because 3 to 5 days isn't really enough time run away (unless you're on a plane, or on a continent where you can drive a car away).

If you're on an island and you have a monster of this size heading your way, there aren't a lot of options.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170905_234928.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	155446  
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 21:16   #39

Imagine a fast ball coming at you at 90 MPH or a hockey puck at 110. Then a coconut coming at 220 MPH ! I can't even wrap my brain around that. Whatever isn't tied down to an immovable object is going for a ride. This will generate some interesting before and after pictures, that may help us learn how to better prepare, to survive such a disaster .Good luck to everyone within a 100 miles of the eye.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 21:34   #40

Boat: Tartan 37

I've seen several recommend digging a trench with a backhoe and set the keel in it and strap it down. What happens with the storm surge, of more the 6ft and what about 12ft or more. All marinas are right on the water and flood in most storms. Just asking if this is a verified means to avoid damage? I've never seen it done.

By the way, Best of luck to you.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 22:23   #41

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
Callisto, my beloved baby for 23 years is on the hard in St Martin. This was not planned for the storm, she just needed a bottom job so we hauled her two weeks ago. She is really well blocked, all the canvass is stripped. Do you think she has any chance with 150 mph winds... sniff, sniff.
A surprising number of people didn't read the 1st post properly.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 23:30   #42
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
A surprising number of people didn't read the 1st post properly.
Shows how many actually get it only for the articles. ;-)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 00:30   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Having spent the 2000s in Florida and losing my house and boat in Charley, My best wishes and hopes go out to all in the oncoming storm.

Do what you can and do it well, and then just make sure that you and loved ones are safe. Somehow in the midst of the storm, that suddenly becomes the focus.

Be SAFE people..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:41   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
Callisto, my beloved baby for 23 years is on the hard in St Martin. This was not planned for the storm, she just needed a bottom job so we hauled her two weeks ago. She is really well blocked, all the canvass is stripped. Do you think she has any chance with 150 mph winds... sniff, sniff.
My condolences and my sincere hope that taking a direct hit from Irma didn't ruin your boat. The eye went over Barbuda a little earlier and is about to crunch St. Martin, as of 5:30 CDT.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:08   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

SXM is toast ,thoughts and prayers for all effected

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floa.../rgb0-lalo.gif
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote