Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 08:31   #61

Re: Do you think she stands a chance?

I am not a computer buff more a dummy, but if someone can post how to do it I will put some pictures up that may surprise you in terms of the effects of wind and storm surge.
Ivan cat 5 hurricane, max wind speed unknown,recorded at 250 MPH before wind speed indicator at govt weather centre blue away. Down graded by Govt to cat 4 so save all insurance Co's from going broke.Estimated 12,000 cars destroyed.
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:13   #62

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalla View Post
Nice one mate. i look forward to joking about you losing your boat one day.
Unlikely. I am from the pre-vlogger generation. I was not joking. I simply do not wear my lifejacket in a hotel room.

I am not looking forward to joking about your boat getting lost. I hope your boat will make it fine, and so will you.

A boat lost is just a boat lost. Very sad. But the crew is doing fine and this is by far the important thing given the conditions.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:37   #63

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievardon View Post
Barnakiel, pretty uncharitable remarks there. Storm hit in the early hours, the little video in the day light but still windy. Did you notice the roof tiles on the balcony and the flooding down below.I doubt they have got out of wherever they are sheltering yet. Smiles are quite often a response to stress. It took me more than half a day to calm down before i ventured out the door to see the destruction from Ivan. The long video catches the real terror and if you turn the volume right up for the Whole of the video you might get some idea of the stress involved. However 20 mins does not compare with hours of noise. I hope that some people are able to post some before and after storm. Can't remember who said it but the reference to coconuts doing 200+ MPH is no joke along with complete/parts of corrugated iron roofs scything through the air.
Apologies. No intent to sound (uncharitable?) here. I understand I sounded rough though and so I apologize for my unintended sounding rough. I am sorry. I mean it.

I come from a place where storms (but storms only) were a regular feature. I am used to the noise and I have seen plenty of storm damage with my own eyes. I am aware this is nothing compared to a hurricane and so my light hearted attitude is clearly out of place. I have seen palm trees with their tops torn off by a bad one that hit Pangaimotu. I can (not) imagine what it is like to go thru such an event. Probably devastating.

It is a blessing today even some off-sight places have concrete buildings to hide in. I remember the new school in Barbuda when I think of Barbuda taking a direct hit last night. Some humans may hide but what about those dozens of stray donkeys and horses there? And the seabirds?

We are alive though and so are the people who posted the video. And they are young enough to get another boat later, should this one be a write-off (or gone). So it is sort of like 'all fine'. I am afraid when the thing is over we will hear very many very tragic stories of boats and lives broken.

Hugs and respect and my best wishes to everyone affected. I am going to be there pretty soon and so I hope I will be able to help in the recovery effort too.

Love,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:47   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If so, it is odd they are smiling ... and wearing lifejackets in what looks like a hotel room on the n-th floor.

The wind force does not look to high though, his bandana is still on and the girl did not even care to tie her hair. Easy peasy.

;-)
b.
their vblog was uploaded during the eye of the storm.

here is a link to a very graphic video of the destruction in the lagoon,i guess their boat is one of them

https://www.facebook.com/flash.meteo...5912565788270/
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:32   #65

Atoll it seems to me that the wind speed was not as high as it could have been and more buildings survived in better shape. Boats is another thing. I am sorry that my earlier post of doom and gloom has probably come true. Only good possibility is you may find many new friends in the face of adversity. My neighbour mentioned in an earlier post was in his bungalow as it steadily disintegrated around him, eventually forcing him out of a broken window in an attempt to swim to another building and only survived as another neighbour swam out to help him through the still rough water. Lacerations from the broken glass required more than 120 stitches. Having lost everything but his life (just) his attitude towards material things changed. He had his life and all he required on top was what he could fit into a small suitcase.I have one precious thing I keep, a piece of glass engraved by a friend totally unique and to me priceless. If you have that bath full of water and still want a shower, get a plastic bucket,drill some small holes in the bottom and suspend it. Friend/partner tips one saucepan of water in to soap up then one saucepan to rinse off. Feeling clean can be a real moral boost.Qty can be varied but if the main water is off be frugal as it could take weeks to be restored. Best wishes to all on the islands.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:11   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievardon View Post
Atoll it seems to me that the wind speed was not as high as it could have been and more buildings survived in better shape. Boats is another thing. I am sorry that my earlier post of doom and gloom has probably come true. Only good possibility is you may find many new friends in the face of adversity. My neighbour mentioned in an earlier post was in his bungalow as it steadily disintegrated around him, eventually forcing him out of a broken window in an attempt to swim to another building and only survived as another neighbour swam out to help him through the still rough water. Lacerations from the broken glass required more than 120 stitches. Having lost everything but his life (just) his attitude towards material things changed. He had his life and all he required on top was what he could fit into a small suitcase.I have one precious thing I keep, a piece of glass engraved by a friend totally unique and to me priceless. If you have that bath full of water and still want a shower, get a plastic bucket,drill some small holes in the bottom and suspend it. Friend/partner tips one saucepan of water in to soap up then one saucepan to rinse off. Feeling clean can be a real moral boost.Qty can be varied but if the main water is off be frugal as it could take weeks to be restored. Best wishes to all on the islands.
st martin has a lot of new buildings,as many have been destroyed by past hurricanes.
all public buildings on the french side have to pass a " cyclone structural reinforcement study"during the design stage and inspections during construction that the hurricane reinforcement is carried out properly to the building.

i would guess it is the same on the dutch side to some extent.

probably this is why many of the larger buildings survived.

generally most of the private houses are built using reinforced concrete with cinder block in between, unlike many of the other islands.

hence the high survival rate of the buildings.
in the bvi's these regulations don't exist,so i expect there will be a fair bit more destruction of timber frame houses
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 13:09   #67

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Luis in the 95 change the new building rules in SXM, so far the dutch side fare better than the french side ..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 15:45   #68

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Photo from a friend in the BVI . . .

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 16:04   #69

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Photo from a friend in the BVI . . .

I saw that photo on another thread and commented on the number of flipped catamarans...not because it indicates anything about catamarans, but rather the force of the storm. I'm just amazed that those boats could be flipped over like that. Incredible.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 17:14   #70

Atoll.are you out there? I would be interested to hear how the newer constructed houses faired. On Cayman, the tsunami waves just broke through the cinder/concrete blocks and forced every piece of furniture out through the holes including stripping completely fitted kitchens. Roofs did no better.
62.5 lbs per cu ft of water, from memory thats fresh. Salt more. You do the math, 12 ft high wave only 1 ft deep 1 ft wide =12 x 62.5lbs travelling at speed = rather large force.
Old 06-09-2017, 17:29   #71

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Not a tsunami but powerful nonetheless.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 18:00   #72

Bleemus, what do you understand the word Tsunami to mean?
Old 06-09-2017, 18:07   #73

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I saw that photo on another thread and commented on the number of flipped catamarans...not because it indicates anything about catamarans, but rather the force of the storm. I'm just amazed that those boats could be flipped over like that. Incredible.

Look closely, see the guy in his foulies standing on the deck in the foreground?
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 18:50   #74

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
Look closely, see the guy in his foulies standing on the deck in the foreground?

Do you think he rode out the storm in one of those boats and is just now peaking out to see the devastation? Would have been a will ride. Or did he come down to the marina to check on his boat?
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 18:54   #75

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Probably a broker picking out which ones he can list as "discounted". With any luck, he is an insurance adjuster. My boat is down there. Will either be a salvage or a write off.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote