Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2022, 04:36   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Re: DOG FRIENDLY FREE anchorages on the way to key West

We recently cruised with another boat on our way to the Dry Tortuga's, but they only made it as far as Boot Key.

On the inside, just north of Snake Creek (Plantation Key I think), one can beach the dinghy next to the marina.

Yes, Sombrero Beach, on Vaca Key allows dogs.

The Marathon City Marina does charge $22 per day for dinghy docking, but that also includes access to their showers.

BTW, pump outs are $5.

Cruisers Net is on VHF 80 @ 0900. Very friendly and helpful.

I saw others with dogs on the beach at the Marquesas. Same for Fort Jefferson and on Loggerhead Key.

Good luck.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 05:17   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I’m not the OP I’m a dog owner that is currently in the Keys and have travelled the Keys for 30 years with a dog. I answered the OP’s post with hopefully some helpful advice.
You on the other hand are on the W coast of Mexico that can give no advice on the questions the OP was asking?
The OP's boat is 27' and has an 8'5" beam consider that with two dogs and no budget for a marina.

I really want a dog for when I retire to my 2100 sq ft home in the country, but cannot get one yet because I may cruise some and my boat which is 27' also.

Another Lab mix like my son had would be great, but they do need room to run and play.

As far the OP, may be time for you to head North. Kiptopeke park allows dogs on a leash and you can anchor off the beach but it can get rough there. You have to get close to the cement sunken ships for protection and cannot drag or bad things can happen. Tide changes ever 6 hours or so and it's strong.

Beach pictures of Lab are on VA Beach (Chic's Beach) on the Bay not VA Beach ocean beach. @0 miles South of Kiptopeke.

https://petfriendlytravel.com/pft_be...each-virginia/

https://www.findyourchesapeake.com/t...concrete-fleet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitch 2016...1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	253250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitch 2016.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	253251  

Name:	Fall2.jpg
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	253252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	253253  

Name:	Kiptopeke_Saki_5911.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	253254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	253255  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 10:37   #18

It's just kind of sad that CF is becoming like a sailing anarchy lite ®. A simple question, where can one anchor that has legal free dog access, turns into you shouldn't be cruising with dogs or you should turn around. Why does anyone on here think another user should have to justify themselves? We're such a small community that is often marginalized by people who just don't understand cruising or even sailing, and yet at least on here we still go after each other rather than try to support the community and make it stronger. It's a shame really.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 11:19   #19

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The OP's boat is 27' and has an 8'5" beam consider that with two dogs and no budget for a marina.

I really want a dog for when I retire to my 2100 sq ft home in the country, but cannot get one yet because I may cruise some and my boat which is 27' also.

Another Lab mix like my son had would be great, but they do need room to run and play.

As far the OP, may be time for you to head North. Kiptopeke park allows dogs on a leash and you can anchor off the beach but it can get rough there. You have to get close to the cement sunken ships for protection and cannot drag or bad things can happen. Tide changes ever 6 hours or so and it's strong.

Beach pictures of Lab are on VA Beach (Chic's Beach) on the Bay not VA Beach ocean beach. @0 miles South of Kiptopeke.

https://petfriendlytravel.com/pft_be...each-virginia/

https://www.findyourchesapeake.com/t...concrete-fleet
We cruise with dogs on our 27'. If it's not something you want to do, that's fine, and it's not easy, but again, not the point of the thread. Jeepers.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 11:40   #20

Florida in general is very dog UNfriendly anywhere near the water. I guess you have figured that out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 12:00   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
It's just kind of sad that CF is becoming like a sailing anarchy lite ®. A simple question, where can one anchor that has legal free dog access, turns into you shouldn't be cruising with dogs or you should turn around. Why does anyone on here think another user should have to justify themselves? We're such a small community that is often marginalized by people who just don't understand cruising or even sailing, and yet at least on here we still go after each other rather than try to support the community and make it stronger. It's a shame really.

- AT
AT, you keep coming up with accusations that people are against you, coming after you, making a mess (?), marginalizing the community or destroying the thread. All because myself and others have expressed our views, mostly negative, about dogs on boats and why we think accommodating the dog is difficult, and that having a dog on board is a bad idea instead of helping you find places for your dog to poop. Basically we've been telling you why it's so darn tough.

Agreed, we did that. I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful.

But your reaction to something you don't want to hear is childish, uncalled for and untrue. And nobody asked you to justify yourself. You should just listen to the advice and then tell us to get lost if you want to (that's what Lady Captn did in another thread), but you don't need to claim we're ruining anything for you. Careless dog owners have ruined it for you.

And by the way, I'd point out to you and others who've commented that our views are "off topic" and we shouldn't have bothered posting; you don't seem to be complaining about people who also don't give you the helpful tips you requested but do say they love having their dogs aboard and that it's no problem.

It sort of points out that rather than the fact that it's off topic you just don't like the message.
Old 20-02-2022, 13:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
We cruise with dogs on our 27'. If it's not something you want to do, that's fine, and it's not easy, but again, not the point of the thread. Jeepers.
Jeepers?

Just think about your dogs stuck on a 27' boat compared to ones that are on land.

Dogs love to run, swim, and play.....

and rest after playing ....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mitchel Kiptopeke.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	253297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fall2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	253298  

Name:	Fall.jpg
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	253299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitch 2016...1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	253300  

Name:	Mitch 2016.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	253301   Click image for larger version

Name:	mitch boy.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	253302  

Old 20-02-2022, 13:32   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
AT, you keep coming up with accusations that people are against you, coming after you, making a mess (?), marginalizing the community or destroying the thread. All because myself and others have expressed our views, mostly negative, about dogs on boats and why we think accommodating the dog is difficult, and that having a dog on board is a bad idea instead of helping you find places for your dog to poop. Basically we've been telling you why it's so darn tough.

Agreed, we did that. I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful.

But your reaction to something you don't want to hear is childish, uncalled for and untrue. And nobody asked you to justify yourself. You should just listen to the advice and then tell us to get lost if you want to (that's what Lady Captn did in another thread), but you don't need to claim we're ruining anything for you. Careless dog owners have ruined it for you.

And by the way, I'd point out to you and others who've commented that our views are "off topic" and we shouldn't have bothered posting; you don't seem to be complaining about people who also don't give you the helpful tips you requested but do say they love having their dogs aboard and that it's no problem.

It sort of points out that rather than the fact that it's off topic you just don't like the message.

Obviously he has dogs aboard and is accepting the responsibility. Did your post telling him of the negatives of dog ownership while cruising and your opinion of it help him find a place to anchor in the Keys with dog access? Absolutely not.
Your posts have done nothing to help the OP with his question and are absolutely worthless to the conversation.
Now you want to call the OP childish? Pot calling the kettle black. Please crawl back in the hole from where you’ve come.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 13:47   #24

Well if anything we can send Lady Captain to this thread.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 13:50   #25

Quote:
Obviously he has dogs aboard and is accepting the responsibility. Did your post telling him of the negatives of dog ownership while cruising and your opinion of it help him find a place to anchor in the Keys with dog access? Absolutely not.
Your posts have done nothing to help the OP with his question and are absolutely worthless to the conversation.
Now you want to call the OP childish? Pot calling the kettle black. Please crawl back in the hole from where you’ve come.
You still don't seem to be getting it.

This guy is on a tiny boat with two dogs that isn't budgeted for marina use......

not a house on the water like you have and that can probably scrap up your pennies for a marina every now and then.

And btw chill out with the hate speak.
Old 20-02-2022, 14:09   #26
smj

Quote:
You still don't seem to be getting it.

This guy is on a tiny boat with two dogs that isn't budgeted for marina use......

not a house on the water like you have and that can probably scrap up your pennies for a marina every now and then.

And btw chill out with the hate speak.

Let me know when you get on your boat and see the world.
Old 20-02-2022, 14:24   #27
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
There are reasons why dogs are not always welcome ashore near public facilities and parks.
I too understand why dogs are a problem. It's one thing to have a 10 pound lhasa apso on the dock. but invariably the ones who have the big dogs always end up thinking it is cool to let them go without the leash. I was jumped by a dog on the dock a few days ago. Then my wife had to toss her shoes out after stepping in a big pile. This is why it is tough to have a dog on a boat .. and to find places where people think it's OK. if that is a shame to say then so be it.
Old 20-02-2022, 14:36   #28

Quote:
Let me know when you get your boat and see the world.
Okay. Thanks for the opportunity.

Well I purchased my first boat at age 16 in 1972 or so and it went from there.

Sailing started in 1982 in Tennessee then I started racing Beach Cats (Hobie 16's) while there.

Got the idea after seeing like 30 Hobie 16's sailing in a line along Chic's Beach on the Chesapeake Bay back in the late 70's. Unfortunately for me I was on my way to Yuma. AZ 2650 miles away to my job as a radar/IFF tech

After Tennessee, I was transferred to Pensacola, FL which at the time (mid 90's) was one of the best locations for beach cat racing so I moved to more hi-tech beach cats with spinnakers.

Back then we could reach speed at around 26 knots or so

Then after taking a break and being transferred back up here I bought my Good Old Blue Water Cruising boat for $2,000 and it has gone from there.

The price of my cruising boat was about what it would cost back in the day for a replacement mainsail and spinnaker for my Nacra 17. Btw that boat also had a carbon fiber mast which I only destroyed one of. Replacement was around $3,000

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	N1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	253305   Click image for larger version

Name:	N2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	253306  

Name:	DSC00222.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	253307  
Old 20-02-2022, 14:57   #29
smj

Quote:
Okay. Thanks for the opportunity.

Well I purchased my first boat at age 16 in 1972 or so and it went from there.

Sailing started in 1982 in Tennessee then I started racing Beach Cats (Hobie 16's) while there.

Got the idea after seeing like 30 Hobie 16's sailing in a line along Chic's Beach on the Chesapeake Bay back in the late 70's. Unfortunately for me I was on my way to Yuma. AZ 2650 miles away to my job as a radar/IFF tech

After Tennessee, I was transferred to Pensacola, FL which at the time (mid 90's) was one of the best locations for beach cat racing so I moved to more hi-tech beach cats with spinnakers.

Back then we could reach speed at around 26 knots or so

Then after taking a break and being transferred back up here I bought my Good Old Blue Water Cruising boat for $2,000 and it has gone from there.

The price of my cruising boat was about what it would cost back in the day for a replacement mainsail and spinnaker for my Nacra 17. Btw that boat also had a carbon fiber mast which I only destroyed one of. Replacement was around $3,000

Thanks for the sailing resume, yet I see nothing about dealing with canines while cruising.
That is the topic……right?
Old 20-02-2022, 15:06   #30

Quote:
Thanks for the sailing resume, yet I see nothing about dealing with canines while cruising.
That is the topic……right?
Yes which I answered earlier.

This response was in answer to your question.

Btw, your boat seems to be pretty flimsy to be cruising on.

Hopefully you won't stray too far offshore.

Tags
anchor, anchorages, key west