Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 10:13   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
ROFL...
Ever noticed that Communist run Countries and Corporate run Countries are more or less the same..
5% with 95%
35% with 4%
60% with the remaining 1% of the National Wealth..
Reality and Bigotry seldom hold hands where Ł$'s are concerned.

PS; Not a personal attack.. just a viewpoint from travelling the world as part of the 60/1%

At least you have a chance(or can pretend) to join the disproportionately wealthy..I know its not a "PA" were just stating opinions and we know what they are worth ..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:21   #107

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Yeah, no doubt my "feelings" were entirely without foundation...

Or perhaps not, according to sources like Noonsite, or the latest data from the Caribbean Security Index, "created as a tool to help cruisers assess the risk of crime at ports of call in the Caribbean..."

http://freecruisingguides.com/guides...e4_2014.01.pdf

Yeh, you know how I feel about your feelings, but the reference you have provided is excellent at first glance. Thanks for that. It has meat on the bone and with some trending comments.

Where did the funding for this guide come from?
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:53   #108

Quote:

Gotta love the irony, that one of only 2 other locales in the entire Caribbean Basin to match Cuba's security rating at both marinas, and at anchor, is the place where a guy like Mitt Romney "feels comfortable" stashing much of his Nest Egg...

:-)

Tropicalscape is clueless about South America. I hope he can prove me wrong.

Venezuela was always a dangerous place. I know it because I lived there 8 years. Chávez/Maduro have nothing to do with it, unless you get your infotainment from Fox News. Crime there was shaped by 50 years of right-wing dictatorships and 50 years of corrupt elected governments during the 20th century.

Colombia, a much loved country for right-wingers, is ferociously dangerous, as it has for more than 60 years, since the murder of Gaitán started political violence there.

Bolivia has no crime problem as far as I know; at least the press doesn't mention it.

Brasil is safer now than 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure that the other SA countries have a murder rate close to US metropolitan values.

As other poster mentioned, it's all about situational awareness. Don't get a flat tire in South Central LA at night, and don't anchor in a place you don't know well.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 13:11   #109
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post

Venezuela was always a dangerous place. I know it because I lived there 8 years. Chávez/Maduro have nothing to do with it, unless you get your infotainment from Fox News. Crime there was shaped by 50 years of right-wing dictatorships and 50 years of corrupt elected governments during the 20th century.

Colombia, a much loved country for right-wingers, is ferociously dangerous, as it has for more than 60 years, since the murder of Gaitán started political violence there.

Bolivia has no crime problem as far as I know; at least the press doesn't mention it.

Brasil is safer now than 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure that the other SA countries have a murder rate close to US metropolitan values.

As other poster mentioned, it's all about situational awareness. Don't get a flat tire in South Central LA at night, and don't anchor in a place you don't know well.
I know my history well and can assure you that I have never been a fan of right wing neo-conservative/Facist views but much less those that lean so far left that they end up on their heads..
Old 10-03-2015, 13:22   #110

Quote:
Funny, but I've rarely felt safer anywhere, than while cruising in Cuba...
The operative word in the phrase, "Police State" being "Police".

I had several co-workers who traveled to the USSR before the breakup. They said it was one of the safest places to be at, and go out at night at, as an American, because you knew that everywhere you went, there were a couple of armed KGB agents shadowing you. They even gave nicknames to the ones following them.
Old 10-03-2015, 13:27   #111

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

You could not be more wrong.
2012 murder rate per 100,000.
Brazil 25
Bolivia 12
Belize 45
Cuba 4 - Yay! I bet we know the reason.
Dominican Republic 22
Finland 2
Germany 1
Mexico 22
USA 5
Venezuela 55

And by the way. If the 5 or 8 (I forgot) cities in the US with the highest rate were taken out (nuke-em I say!!) the US would be about like Switzerland and Belgium.

Intentional homicides (per 100,000 people) | Data | Table

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pELwCqz2JfE

The US is always vilified because it has a large portion of the populace that is allowed to have and use guns. As is Fox nooze. What about where non Americans get their nooze? All unbiased right? Sure........
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2015, 13:48   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

And by the way. If the 5 or 8 (I forgot) cities in the US with the highest rate were taken out (nuke-em I say!!) the US would be about like Switzerland and Belgium.

You can take it even further. In the early 90's working in New Orleans (in 1991 it won with 428 murders with a population of about 496938 (1990 census)) when it had the highest murder rate in the country for two or three years, it was drawn to our attention, that if you took just the fifth district of New Orleans, it became the most dangerous place you could be on earth, statistically speaking.
Old 10-03-2015, 13:51   #113

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

OOPS! Sorry I misread that .....
" I'm pretty sure that the other SA countries have a murder rate close to US metropolitan values."

SA countries vs US metro areas. Hmmm.

Yep. Detroit is 54. And has about the strictest gun laws in the US.

Whaaaatttt!!!
Old 10-03-2015, 14:39   #114
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
The US is always vilified because it has a large portion of the populace that is allowed to have and use guns. As is Fox nooze. What about where non Americans get their nooze? All unbiased right? Sure........
Sky, TVI, BBC, Aljezera, CNN, RTN, France24... then analize and come to my own assessments...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 14:45   #115
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sky, TVI, BBC, Aljezera, CNN, RTN, France24... then analize and come to my own assessments...
law of averages says that the truth is there somewhere...
Old 10-03-2015, 15:15   #116

Quote:
Brazil 25
Bolivia 12
Belize 45
Dominican Republic 22
Finland 2
Germany 1
Mexico 22
USA 5
Venezuela 55
Beside the misreading, you forgot Colombia: 30.8 . Worse than Brazil, Bolivia, Belize, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Finland, Germany, Mexico, US, etc.

If you think about it, extreme poverty density = crime, everywhere. Which explains the rate for Cuba: few indigent people compared to SA. But I don't think you can stomach that.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 17:40   #117

Boat: a sailing boat

Our experience after visiting many years ago (2007, I think) was NEVER COME AGAIN. I have seen people willing to split me up for saying Brazil is a dangerous destination.

Very sad news and a piece of news that is there if one cares to look for it. Very sad as I am sure Brazil has amazing things to experience both shoreside-wise and in the interior.

Very sad.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 22:20   #118

Quote:
Beside the misreading, you forgot Colombia: 30.8 . Worse than Brazil, Bolivia, Belize, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Finland, Germany, Mexico, US, etc.

If you think about it, extreme poverty density = crime, everywhere. Which explains the rate for Cuba: few indigent people compared to SA. But I don't think you can stomach that.
Interesting about Cuba. If course this doesn't take into account State administered killings. Looks like Brazil is up there with Venezuela and Belize. Yes Government created poverty because of heavy handed State controls is something all of these high kill rate countries have in common.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 00:29   #119

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Brazil 25
Bolivia 12
Belize 45
Dominican Republic 22
Finland 2
Germany 1
Mexico 22
USA 5
Venezuela 55

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pELwCqz2JfE

Very interesting (funny too)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:50   #120

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure it is poverty=crime. We visited Brazil and we saw some poverty but not extensive, and not extreme. We saw huge numbers of very obese people, hence I could not perceive any signs of extreme poverty.

Also, we visited countries where people were much poorer, and where GDP and per capita GDP were much lower, yet we were safe there.

Maybe it is not so much poverty as the breadth of the gap between the poor and the rich?

Beyond anything, when the criminals do not get caught and punished, and where they get caught but they are set free to walk too soon, they see no reason not to return to their "trade".

Brazil has very inefficient administration and the many offices overlap in apparent responsibilities. So nobody does anything blaming the other office for lack of (education, will, action, etc.). We have seen the same story elsewhere.

So I say bad government=crime.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Brazil, sail