Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 04:29   #16

Boat: Pearson 424
Re: East Coast US - best shoreside location for a US base?

Lake Champlain. You'd have to transit the canal in the spring and fall but great sailing in the summer months on fresh water.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 04:48   #17

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Buzzards Bay or penobscot bay - although at your budget and boat size and stated goal of dodging the season, I'd gently suggest not buying and spend the money marine fees.
I don't think you'll be able to buy waterfront with private dock for your size boat within your budget. Also the Caribbean is not exactly a stones throw from New England.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:15   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadreams View Post
I'm interested in opinions on what are the fantastic, great, wonderful places on the east coast of the US to buy a property with its own slip or dock.

I should add that we can afford $400k-$500k to give you a balpark; don't really want a condo.

I don't think waterfront is all that cost-effective, especially if you'll be gone for half a year or so.

In any case, you could probably only find waterfront shacks in this area (Annapolis), for that kind of money. Winter water view, add a bit. Constant water view, add a zero. Community water access, double that last. Waterfront, add another zero. Sorta like that.

I'd guess it's like that most places out here. If so, probably more cost-effective to bag the waterfront idea, and just pick where ever you'd like to be...

-Chris
Old 29-12-2016, 05:20   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to mention - trying to minimize taxes too :-)
Newport Rhode Island.

Or, buy a boat already in the Med where things are much, much cheaper and there's much more to see during a much longer cruising season (6 months). I presently pay only $2000 in sip fees for eight months in beautiful Italy for a 53ft boat, no taxes (US boat). In California, I'd be paying over $24,000 with state, local taxes and slip fees for the same boat.

PM me if you want some ideas.

So to answer your question: We live on the East coast of the US near Boston six months of the year, and have found that buying a boat in Europe and keeping it in the Med was the best, and cheapest option. Even when travel expenses are included in the equation.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:31   #20

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Have you looked at Georgia?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:33   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Over here, many think of Delaware when it comes to taxes. The boating from there -- offshore or Delaware Bay -- underwhelms us, though.

Still, if it's only a 6-month location, residence in DE and boating on the Chesapeake is doable. Need to pay attention to sales/excise taxes wherever the boat is kept, but that can be a much smaller number, can be a one-time shot.

Otherwise, FL has similar advantages. Shorter distance to Caribbean, too.

NC has some income tax breaks for Military and DoD retirees...

-Chris
Old 29-12-2016, 08:00   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
This is where my boat is and it's also where the USCG put their boats during Mathew, best on the East coast,

Windmill Harbour Marina
Although it's not in the area the OP identified, I have to agree with JefNDeb about Windmill Harbour Marina on Hilton Head Island, SC. We came through Hurricane Matthew with no major boat damage whereas some of the surrounding marinas were not so lucky (and I do attribute some of this to luck).

But being behind a lock and also being surrounded by the residences affords it quite a bit of wind and current protection. Here is a link to what it was like during Tropical Storm Hermine earlier in the year when we were seeing 60mph winds outside of the marina. https://youtu.be/tuacmTn6Bv4 At around 25 secs in, if you look up at the treeline, you can see some of the tall pines swaying pretty good. I left my masthead instruments on and recorded max 30kts gust inside.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 09:28   #23

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

I live in North Florida, Ponte Vedra Beach to be exact. No snow here, no freeze preparation.

Not sure about your friend's insurance claim, but I have $250,000 in BoatUS insurance on my Lagoon catamaran, including hazardous spill coverage (which most policies exclude) for roughly $2700 per year.

If you look back over 50 years, we don't have major hurricane problems. Maybe because of the way our coast line swoops west. Hurricane Mathew gave us 70 mph winds - no major problem and that's rare.

In answer to your original question, I would seriously look at waterfront homes on the St. Johns River, up river, past downtown Jacksonville. Fresh water!!
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 09:48   #24

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

The east coast has great sailing grounds, lots of safe harbors and places to explore, that being said everyone has a preference, but you say you are about to retire so check out which states would be friendlier to your retirement finances, unless you are a billionaire it makes a difference.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 10:31   #25
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Greenport, NY is a fantastic location for life and sailing but there are not many homes with docks there or on Shelter Island, Little Peconic, Sag Harbor, or the Hamptons -- $400k might buy a share in a dock someplace. : D
Old 29-12-2016, 11:01   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I'm interested in opinions on what are the fantastic, great, wonderful places on the east coast of the US to buy a property with its own slip or dock.

We're currently west coast based and about two years out from retirement. We'll probably have a 45-50' boat and want a place to base ourselves (a house with its own dock) during hurricane season, with the expectation that we'll be sailing in the Caribbean during the winter and either lock up the house or rent it out while we're gone.

I should add that we can afford $400k-$500k to give you a balpark; don't really want a condo.

So what area or community would you choose?

To narrow it down, we're not interested in Florida. From what I've heard insurance is an issue south of Cape Hatteras.

Recently visited friends in North Carolina and meant to check out New Bern and Oriental but didn't make it. Opinions on Pamlico or Ablemarle Sounds? I got the sense it would be too damn hot/humid in the summers.

I lived for two years in DC so not convinced that we want the Chesapeake Bay area either, although Annapolis might be worth a look.

So I'm leaning more toward north of NYC or north of Boston. Coastal Maine perhaps?

Opinions and any positive or negatives would be great to hear!

- Joe
Why on earth would you consider the NYC area. Maybe LI or the Jersey shore. I always say I left NYC 50+ years ago. Good place to be from.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 13:23   #27

Boat: between boats

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming. Lots of great places for us to check out.

I know $400k-$500k won't get much in pricey areas. Could budget more, just depends whether we sell a house or finance this one out of pocket.

So LI Sound, Rhode Island and north of Boston are what we'll check out first.

One question - How difficult is it to get insurance, for example for named storms, in Florida, South Carolina, etc. I've seen folks mention that some companies won't insure south of Cape Hatteras. We're going to want to insure - I know many folks chose not to and I respect that, just not my path.

Thanks,
Joe
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 13:39   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
Don't rule out Florida so quickly. Insurance is bad but not totally unbearable. Remember, Florida has no state income tax!

I live near Ft. Lauderdale. Waterfront, hurricane protected houses can be had for just a little more than your budget dictates. Travel over to the west coast to Punta Gorda, Ft. Myers, or Port Charlottesville and you can find beautiful waterfront home in your price range. Those with no fixed bridges will be slightly higher priced than those on canals with fixed bridges to open water.
You forgot Cape Coral. Many homes and condos with docks at reasonable prices. No bridges and a well maintained community/city.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 13:55   #29

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

Narragansett Bay has a lot to offer, you need to shop around for a town & home / condo tax status you'd be comfortable with. One that ncludes a dock pretty much is a non-starter. But, there are plenty of marinas. You would have to check waiting lists for a towb mooring. Might be worthwhile to buy earlier & rent it out, just to get on a list.

Really, what you're looking for is what every boat owner wants, so after you find your spot, let us all know!
TommmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 15:17   #30

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Long Island Sound is great in the summer.
Plenty of nice shore side homes with docks.
NY, CT, RI
Yeah, not CT in that budget. Figure upwards of 2 million to start with a deep water dock. I'm guessing the same for NY and RI. Carolinas appear to have a few opportunities.
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast