Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 07:50   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Expected Marina Rates in USVI

I posted a thread a while back about where to leave our boat in the carib for Dec and January while we return to the US. I am finding that most marinas don't post rates and don't answer emails.

I sent out several emails and one replied and said $1.55 per foot per day. That seems like an awful lot to me. Can someone give me an idea of what they have paid in caribbean marinas for extended docking, ie: 60-80 days.

Thanks
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:12   #2

Re: Expected Marina rates in USVI

Any ideas on this? I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative than spending $4M+ to leave the boat somewhere. I don't think I could feel comfortable anchored or moored.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:03   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

That rate could be in the ballpark, depending upon whether or not electricity and water was included in the fee. I know the rates in the BVI, and they are pretty high when you pay "rack rate" (i.e. tourist pricing) but one can find $800 per month or so for a 43' at places such as Penn's, Hodges Creek and even Soper's Hole, but that is without water and electricity. Dockspace in charter destinations in season is at a premium.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:27   #4

Boat: MacGregor65- s/vSunsets

I was quoted $2.35/ft per night for a 65' boat from Crown Bay Marina on St. Thomas. But that was only for a 9-10 day stay, so weekly rates. Water & power are extra.

Soper's Hole quoted me $1.25-$1.50 per day (depending on beam).

A friend paid $2.00.ft per night for a couple nights at Green Cay Marina on St. Croix. Gray water was included and the people were extremely nice.
s/v Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:05   #5

Oh well...it sounds like the price is the market. I guess I though I would be able to find a slip somewhere for < $1,000 a month. I guess I will just fork it over, unless we come up with an alternative.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24   #6

Boat: MacGregor65- s/vSunsets

I suppose another option would be to haul the boat and store it on land for the 8-12 weeks you'll be gone. I know nothing of USVI facilities, but in BVIs I think we paid $10/ft for the haul & launch package and $14/ft/month for land storage.

Not sure but you'd might need to "import" the boat into BVIs if you do that. I'm not sure if the 30day visa limit for people applies to their boats too.
s/v Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 15:13   #7

BTW were in the BVIS and prices people have quoted you are pretty reasonable, other than crown bay which is pricey.
You might email American Yacht harbor they have long term storage, They are very reasonable, have room and are good people to deal with we paid 1.25 a ft for the night and our boat is 40 ft. I do know AYH is the base for the island packet charters
and they have 3 slips long term (so i do know long term is available)
Also out in their bay there are good moorings, another company owns those and they do long term storage too, you can call AYH and ask them for the number while inquiring. If you cant find the number email me privately and i will look it up on my phone for you.
storage in the Virgins is very expensive, as it is in most of the carribean.
Another thought if you want to head further south is Grenada, they have a marina
that stores for summer that is only $400 a month, I know as some fellow cruisers we met in caicos are going down there (there final destination) and i had asked them about the rates. Another possiblity and its out of hurricane zone too!
hope this helps

Kathleen
s/v Legacy
Charlotte Amelia, St Thomas VI
paradisenow1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 15:20   #8

American Yacht Harbor
6100 Red Hook Quarters 2#
St Thomas, VI 00820
1-340-775-6454
AYH@igymarinas.com
website is Thomas Marinas | Crown Bay Marina | Yacht Services | North Drop Fishing at Americanyachtharbor.com
they have a nice web site.

Kathleen
ps ask for the number for the guy who runs the mooring balls, he does do long term and would be reasonable i think, ayh gave it to me when i was asking rates at one time..

Good luck
Old 07-03-2011, 15:34   #9
dtj

We pay $20 a foot, a month at Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, USVI. It is a nice place and they will keep an eye on your boat.
dtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:01   #10

Boat: lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to kathrine33

I have left my 45ft sailboat boat in HR Penns marina,Road town, Tortola for 6 weeks while I return to england, it cost me $700, and i even got a lift to the ferry terminal. do not confuse with Penns marina at the east of tortola.
kathrine33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtj View Post
We pay $20 a foot, a month at Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, USVI. It is a nice place and they will keep an eye on your boat.
Now that's more like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen33
Another thought if you want to head further south is Grenada, they have a marina that stores for summer that is only $400 a month, I know as some fellow cruisers we met in caicos are going down there (there final destination)
Kathleen, I will check on the security of the Grenada places..AYH sounds good too. I'll call them. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn33
I have left my 45ft sailboat boat in HR Penns marina,Road town, Tortola for 6 weeks while I return to england, it cost me $700, and i even got a lift to the ferry terminal. do not confuse with Penns marina at the east of tortola.
I'll check with them. Thanks Kathryn
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Sunsets View Post
...in BVIs I think we paid $10/ft for the haul & launch package and $14/ft/month for land storage.
I am paying around $13/ft/month at Nanny Cay right now (I just put the boat on the hard this past Friday) so that sounds about right

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Sunsets View Post
...Not sure but you'd might need to "import" the boat into BVIs if you do that...
The 30 days applies to people, the boat needs a temporary importation to stay for extended periods and that is $250 per year.
Old 09-03-2011, 14:07   #13

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I posted a thread a while back about where to leave our boat in the carib for Dec and January while we return to the US. I am finding that most marinas don't post rates and don't answer emails.

I sent out several emails and one replied and said $1.55 per foot per day. That seems like an awful lot to me. Can someone give me an idea of what they have paid in caribbean marinas for extended docking, ie: 60-80 days.

Thanks
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:22   #14

Boat: FP Athena 38
Re: Expected Marina Rates in USVI

Frenchtown Marina is $550 a month plus water and power. That is the best rate you will find in STT. 340-777-9690 ask for Erick. I just stop working there so I can go crusing with my newly retired husband! It is a safe place to leave the boat. If you are there less then a month it is $1 dollar a foot per day - $40 min.
Good Luck!
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:05   #15

Re: Expected Marina Rates in USVI

kirsten,
Iwill write that down in my log book for future reference too! thanks
kathleen
s/v Legacy
St Thomas, VI