Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 12:23   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Experience with Customs in the Caribbean

Of course you've never need a gun, you're still alive.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:50   #32
Marine Service Provider

If I had been the owner of that boat and the weapons I would have photographed them and the ammo boxes (or individual rounds) and emailed the photos to home. Maybe he did? Except when we took everything ashore at Cayman, the arsenal was locked in his cabin in the biggest gun safe I've ever seen. The factory actually built the $3,000,000 boat around the gun safe. Someone mentioned tracking me from ballistics if I shot someone. BS, if I have to shoot someone the gun is going over the side in deep water. Furthermore, I would have to be in mortal peril to use any kind of weapon in the territorial waters of a any country, even, or especially the US. The first thing I asked the owner when I boarded the boat was "Do we have any weapons on board?" That's when he showed me the safe. I recommend that anyone crewing on someone else's boat ask that question of the owner or skipper. You can then make up your own mind if you want to sail with them.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 14:12   #33

All this information about dealing with Customs in the Caribbean is useful. Regardless of all the bad hype about Venezuela, we will possibly be buying a bargain boat there, and will need to sail in to South Carolina from Caracas. We have never sailed this stretch before. It looks like there could be a few possible routes. The time of the trip will be around March to April. Does anyone know or possibly have sailed this route or part of it before. Any suggestions are all welcome.
Earthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 19:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthead View Post
All this information about dealing with Customs in the Caribbean is useful. Regardless of all the bad hype about Venezuela, we will possibly be buying a bargain boat there, and will need to sail in to South Carolina from Caracas. We have never sailed this stretch before. It looks like there could be a few possible routes. The time of the trip will be around March to April. Does anyone know or possibly have sailed this route or part of it before. Any suggestions are all welcome.
Are you trying to derail a gun thread to discuss sailing?!?
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 19:55   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Might want to start a thread asking that, be more likely to be seen and probably get a lot more answers

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:01   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
Are you trying to derail a gun thread to discuss sailing?!?

Apologies for that. I am new here and still getting the hang of it. I tried to delete the post but it appears that, that is not possible.
Earthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 23:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthead View Post
Apologies for that. I am new here and still getting the hang of it. I tried to delete the post but it appears that, that is not possible.
Welcome Earthead... that was purely a joke. Usually its the other way around.
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:18   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
I see you are in Hammament. I am in Licata and was planning to cut across to Hammament late April for haul out, bottom clean and antifoul. Also have a couple of fibreglass dings to repair and polish. Is Hammament a good destination for this. I heard food,booze and fuel are cheap.

an update. i had shoulder surgery in mid december with 2 screws so my ability to work on the boat at the present time in nil. i have a mechanic from the yard coming over on the weekend and doing some of the pm that i can not do and he said the yard is open but you have to go through the marina to get in.

if you contact port yasmine marina at

www.portyasmine.com.tn

you can send them an note through their site.

hope to see you here in april.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, customs, enc, rib