Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2023, 05:10   #1

Boat: Bristol 19
Extended anchoring rules on Barnegat Bay, NJ

Long story short. I have not been able to work much in the past 8 months due to a severe lower back disc extrusion.

I didn't think sailing would have been possible this Summer for me and thus chose not to renew my slip at the marina where am at in Toms River. I failed to check the contract and assumed I would be charged same fee for storage during the Summer months than for Winter storage and thought I would use the time to take care of a couple projects as my condition improves.

Well, the marina is demanding $300 a month to keep the boat on the yard. They don't want people abandoning their boats or people not renting slips so this is a sort of penalty I guess

Anyone knows the regulations of simply anchoring my 20ft Corinthian somewhere near the shore for the season? What are the legalities of it? If that's not an option, does anyone know someone or town along the bay that rents mooring ball? I would be open to even allow usage of the sailboat if someone has a private dock in their property.

-Ricardo
austramazonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Extended anchoring rules on Barnegat Bay, NJ

For anchoring, most regulations like that are covered by local jurisdiction so you should call the harbormaster in the areas that would be of most interest. This link might be of interest too https://marinedebris.noaa.gov/sites/...5_NOAA_MDP.pdf
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 08:17   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Don’t even think about it.

People doing like what you are suggesting are the reason we have annoying anchoring restrictions/laws/rules.

Go with your other options that don’t involve burdening the local waterway with your vessel.

or worst case, pay your $1800. it might even be easier than figuring out how to move it elsewhere.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:16   #4

another option would be to bring it to another marina with more reasonable storage rates. toms river is heavily populated and low on space so it's not surprising. but at 20ft you could even bring it inland by renting a trailer
mdidomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:15   #5

$300/month for summer storage in the Northeast US seems very affordable to me. Find a working yard, not a marina parking lot. You'll be paying a lot more for in-water storage. What was your plan if you didn't have a back injury??

Don't contribute to the derelict boats on our waterways. That is contributing to anchoring restrictions. If the storage is a financial burden, then please consider selling the boat. Please don't make your problem, our problem.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, rule