Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:56   #181
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Extortion in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sheets View Post
we do hope to return again someday.
Am looking forward to that thread .

Given that you have accused Bahamian Customs of corruption probably best for all onboard not to be allergic to latex , and perhaps also to have a good idea of how the boat goes back together........

.....unless one of your guests has left something behind, in which case boat going back together likely least of your problems.

In your shoes I would simply cross the Bahamas off your list of places to visit for the next couple of decades. if not a bit longer .

In any event, I am sure the next visitors from the US will appreciate the welcome you have warmed up for them . But to be fair, I am sure the folks before you also helped with your welcome.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16   #182
CLOD

Boat: none

I feel that the only thing this thread really has shown is; that the life of a thread is directly related to having a catchy title!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:30   #183

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I will be interested to see how BASRA follows up on it's investigation into Gilbert and his possible misrepresentation of his association with BASRA.

As for DOJ and his worries about Three Sheets returning lets keep in mind that they had nothing but praise for the marina where the stayed at and several other locals. Lets not forget the marina gave Three Sheets a tow out of the marina to a location where they could safely raise sails and did not charge for it.

I would also suspect Customs may be looking into what happened here. It is still not clear what happened but US Tow seems to have contacted Customs after dropping the hook and sent a boat ashore to deal with paperwork when for some reason Gilbert raised some objections.

The Bahamas is not one single thing or place. Three Sheets seems to have made some real friends in the marina, while not so much so with Gilbert. It is unclear what the situation is with Customs.

Lots of cruisers say you should avoid Nassau and check in at Bimini, West End, Chub, Morgan, or where ever. There is a lot of agreement that checking in not only produces different results (like 3mos, 6mos, or a years stay) depending on not only where you check in but which day you check in.

On the other hand I had a good friend go directly from Anglefish to Nassau and check in with no problems and probably pay less than he would have at Bimini.

Bottom line is the Bahamas is still one of the best places for East Coast US cruisers to visit. Sure once in a while there are folks you would rather not deal with, but as a rule cruisers are welcome and treated well. I am inclined to view this as an exception to what happens visiting the Bahamas not the rule.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:33   #184

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I feel that the only thing this thread really has shown is; that the life of a thread is directly related to having a catchy title!
Maybe time for another poll? Best title for this thread?

Here's my best go: "Planned for 10 Years and STILL Got Screwed!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sheets View Post
So there we were, guilty of nothing, stuck in Nassau feeling like hostages in a third-world country. That is not the Bahamas we had dreamt about during our ten years of planning.
I'm just glad everyone lived to sail another day.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:52   #185

I'm certain that the authorities will give this incident the attention it deserves...

I don't see it affecting anyone's desire to visit the Bahamas one way or the other, with the possible exception of Three Sheets.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:09   #186

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Might be time to officially close this thread?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:10   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Given that you have accused Bahamian Customs of corruption ...
Really? Is this based on a direct quote or somebody's interpretation?
Either/or ... I must have missed that ... could you point me to the excerpt.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:31   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
See the title of this thread, and re-read the original post.
Old 03-04-2013, 14:32   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Might be time to officially close this thread?
If only we could...
Old 03-04-2013, 14:57   #190

Boat: Skookum 53'

Why is it, people think because they lose interest, it is time to close the thread? I thought that was what the moderators are for. It is a simple process, just unsubscribe.
Old 03-04-2013, 15:03   #191
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
Lol - am not going to read the whole fuggin thread again .

More than enough in this thread suggesting a corrupt relationship between officialdom and the local towboat, even if only by smear and innuendo rather than as a direct accusation of cash changing hands.

But whether my reading of the thread agrees with others here is not important, it's what the fella in the Bahamas with the rubber glove thinks .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 16:48   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
See the title of this thread, and re-read the original post.
Sorry, I do not see it ... not that the OP accused Bahamian Customs of corruption.

If we criticize anybody for something like innuendos, we better behave as we say. Words have the meaning, if spoken. The assumed unspoken words, perceive innuendos and interpretations do not count in a serious discussion/analysis.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 16:57   #193

My thoughts were that we must look like Martians to the local people we encounter in the carribean.

Last year I read an account of a sailboat stranded on a reef in Cuba. The Guarda Civil wouldn't permit another cruiser to help with salvage, they aren't licensed for that work etc. In a marina in Panama I saw several expat (foreign) boaters help out on other boats for pocket money. They have to get out of sight when the port captain appears because they have no right to compete with locals. Like illegal aliens at home, foreign contractors operating in the Bahamas would drive down market prices for services and locals cannot compete. We all know it costs a lot of money to operate a boat in those waters so it's not surprising things would cost more than at home.

I've paid double for body work when the shop knows its covered by an insurance policy so its not surprising this outfit would charge top dollar. This is not all rip off though. Insurance companies expect guarantees, certified personnel, extra paperwork, and take their time paying for the service. I would have left price negotiations to my insurer.

In my limited experience your most valuable asset is a very respectful attitude. This doesn't mean you cave in to someone's demands but it means you treat every official you meet, every person, as someone who is responsible to enforce their regulations and who has the capability to help you out if they so choose. It never pays to shout at someone whether you are a man or a woman. Once you've shown your lack of respect you cannot go back - if you are dismissive then you can expect to be dismissed. Then there is the colonial legacy (I'm being polite here). A people who have been treated as inferiors historically are challenged to understand a foreigner with a superior attitude today. You should expect someone in authority to pull your chain until you demonstrate an understanding of their role. Once reassured you can ask everyone to be reasonable and then you can ask for their help and advice.

The volunteer who suggested a local company might be looking for a commission, people at home volunteer for all kinds of reasons, so why not? Or, he might simply have been explaining the right thing to do, from a Bahamian point of view. I don't think he had a gun to your head, did you need to insult him or his country on this forum?

Do you negotiate prices in the straw market? Why wouldn't you negotiate with the local towing company, or ask your insurer to negotiate on your behalf? I'm glad you made it home by sail but if you took risks they probably weren't necessary. I found everything in the Bahamas takes longer, in fact that's why we go there - to slow down a bit.

I hope you come back to the Bahamas soon and that you come with eyes and heart open to experience their culture. We travel to learn about ourselves.
andywelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:25   #194

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA

Second that. No, BASRA isn't the Coast Guard but doesn't claim to be. They do, however, do a hell of a job as a volunteer organization. As far as the fund raising, what volunteer group doesn't. Nick Wardle is the long time driving force behind BASRA and I'm sure he (and they) would be upset at someone representing themselves as BASRA, or implying same. Last I heard Nicks e-mail is cwardle@batelnet.bs.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Cape Coral FL
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 15:17   #195

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Pluta View Post
Second that. No, BASRA isn't the Coast Guard but doesn't claim to be. They do, however, do a hell of a job as a volunteer organization. As far as the fund raising, what volunteer group doesn't. Nick Wardle is the long time driving force behind BASRA and I'm sure he (and they) would be upset at someone representing themselves as BASRA, or implying same. Last I heard Nicks e-mail is cwardle@batelnet.bs.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Cape Coral FL
Dick,

See the earlier replies in the thread, I contacted BASRA and Capt. Gilbert and posted their replies in the thread.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nassau