Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2021, 07:48   #1

Exumas Chartering & Cruising

Hey folks, long time listener, first-time caller... We are chartering a large catamaran out of Nassau for 2 weeks (7/18-7/31/21) and plan to sail to the Exumas Chain for that time period on a vague out an back down past Georgetown. I have a few questions for those of you that have sailed these waters- any help/advice would be appreciated.

1- Is there a reliable way of getting people back to Nassau for their flights without sailing there ourselves? A few folks have to leave 3-4 days before everybody else and I don't want to spend the time in/around Nassau. Seems the ferry service is shut down at that time off year.

2- Diving vs snorkeling: With the water being so shallow, is renting tanks and gear worth it or is the majority easy enough to see by snorkel. We are looking at rentals and it seems tank fills are few and far between so I didn't know if I would get my money's worth out of a few sets.

3- Can't wait to do some fishing, any recommendations on where to rent gear, local bait, rigging ideas, or favorite fishing spots around there?

4- RIB Rentals? We have a 14 person catamaran and am worried the provided RIB will be underpowered and far too small. I cannot find a place to rent a RIB or tender for a extended period. Do you think its necessary? Any ideas where to look?

5- Been chartering for years but never been to the Exumas, perused the blogs, and YouTube, my question is knowing start and end in Nassau how would you spend those 12 days? Get south quickly, head north over the period, or skip around? Any itinerary input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Alex
CptFireCrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 11:32   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Exumas Chartering & Cruising

CptFire - we had crew fly out of Staniel Cay and in and out of Georgetown. I believe you can also fly out of Black Point. Also had crew fly in and out of several other islands other than Exumas too, never any problem.
Snorkle is all you need.
Head south right away and then work your way back north, going north is easier than south so if you get tight on time, you can hightail it.

keep in mind that you are chartering in hurricane season.

Ask the charter company about a bigger or even a second rib. I have had 8 in our once but not much of the boat above the water.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 05:51   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

The Land and Sea Park is the gem of the Exumas, so I would plan on spending at least 4-5 days exploring the park thoroughly. I particularly enjoyed spending time at Warderick Wells and Shroud Cay. Staniel Cay can be fun if you want to be around people and have drinks in a bar.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 11:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alex.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 19:31   #5

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

One underrated stop is little Farmers Cay (LFC) . Anchor at Oven Rock and hike to the cave . Snorkle the fresh water cave (bring an underwater light). Enjoy the beach then dinghy over to LFC. Swim with the turtles and rays in the bay, check out jr the woodcarver, then dinner at Ocean Cabin order the Large lobster tail. Call your order in a couple hours in advance. Sing the Little Farmer Cay song with the owner!!!
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 21:48   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Welcome to the CF! I'm in a similar boat... (pun intended, I guess). Chartering a 45-foot catamaran next week (April 14 to April 21) with a group of 10 plus me.

Also debating a 2nd dinghy...

I've chartered in the BVIs, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Belize, and Thailand... never in the Exumas.

I'll post info when (or if) I come back
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:05   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
One underrated stop is little Farmers Cay (LFC) . Anchor at Oven Rock and hike to the cave . Snorkle the fresh water cave (bring an underwater light). Enjoy the beach then dinghy over to LFC. Swim with the turtles and rays in the bay, check out jr the woodcarver, then dinner at Ocean Cabin order the Large lobster tail. Call your order in a couple hours in advance. Sing the Little Farmer Cay song with the owner!!!
Terry & Ernestine Baine [Ocean Cabin] - VERY interesting folks!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, cruising, exumas