Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 16:38   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: First BVI Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger06 View Post
As I'm packing, is there any need for a hand-held GPS or VHF radio? I have both. Was thinking that the handheld VHF would be handy for using on the dink.
Everything in the BVI is line-of-sight, so a GPS is absolutely superfluous.
If you have a "shore party" and the dink is back at the mother ship, then a handheld VHF can make things go easier (but please, please - don't clog up VHF16 but choose some other channel) but it isn't quite necessary in the BVI; every bar/restaurant has a VHF which could be used to call back home...
I consider all of my polo shirts to be "formal wear" in the BVI since they have a collar - so you've got multifunction gear and really don't need to pack much at all. Often women require a bit more clothing, but the BVI are as informal as they get and I'm willing to lay even odds that nobody on this forum who has chartered there has returned with every single piece of clothing having seen use
Old 10-05-2016, 06:42   #17

I've always gone by the concept of have a general idea of what you want to see, plan your 1st day, then Base it on the weather (especially if you actually want to sail) and whatever trips your trigger. You may find you want to spend more time in one place or perhaps you hear about a place that you want to check out. Be flexible and just go with the flow. Way more relaxing than trying to stick to an itinerary or bashing to weather just to get someplace (while the crew and admiral get peeved).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:27   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger06 View Post
As I'm packing, is there any need for a hand-held GPS or VHF radio? I have both. Was thinking that the handheld VHF would be handy for using on the dink.
I rarely take either for the BVIs but there's a couple situations where a handheld might come in handy:

1. If part of your party goes to shore and some stays on the boat - calling for a ride back, etc., especially if they are someplace beside an establishment which is likely to have a VHF.

2. Most charter boats have the VHF down in the helm station. Sometimes it can be nice to talk on the radio while at the helm, especially if your crew isn't proficient with the VHF or knowledgeable of the issue to be discussed.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter