Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 16:41   #1

First Step Into Cruising - Sort Of

My family and I have chartered a cat, Leopard 44, from Sailing Florida in St. Petersburg beginning February 16 (ending on the 19th). This is really my attempt to convince my wife we should seriously look at cruising - really live aboards.

Anyway, I need help with a trip itinerary. My thought was to sail south from St. Pete as far as we can on the first day and meander back over the next three days (arriving back to St. Pete around 5 pm). Is this crazy? I'm open to any ideas for the trip.

My wife and I are early 40's and we are bringing our 6 YO, 17 YO old son and his girlfriend. Thanks for the help.

Robert
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:10   #2

Boat: Tartan 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go WildCats
My family and I have chartered a cat, Leopard 44, from Sailing Florida in St. Petersburg beginning February 16 (ending on the 19th). This is really my attempt to convince my wife we should seriously look at cruising - really live aboards.

Anyway, I need help with a trip itinerary. My thought was to sail south from St. Pete as far as we can on the first day and meander back over the next three days (arriving back to St. Pete around 5 pm). Is this crazy? I'm open to any ideas for the trip.

My wife and I are early 40's and we are bringing our 6 YO, 17 YO old son and his girlfriend. Thanks for the help.

Robert
Robert: My husband knows this area VERY WELL . I will ask him to contact you and I am sure he can give you some great ideas.

Sounds fun!
Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:19   #3

Re: First step into cruising, sort of.

Darby, Thank you! I will PM my mobile number and email. Again, I appreciate the help greatly.
Old 06-02-2012, 18:27   #4

I can't PM yet. My mobile is mecchi at comcast dot com.
Old 06-02-2012, 21:01   #5

I can't help with itinerary, but my wife and I (who has just consented to the liveaboard/crusing lifestyle) completed 6 days of sailing lessons with Sailing Florida 1 week ago. The guys at Sailing Florida were very helpful and I'm certain could give you some great recommendations regarding itinerary themselves. By the way, we sailed the Leopard 44 on 2 of the days and loved it. The experience of being aboard that cat went a long way toward encouraging my wife to consent to buying a cat to live aboard. Good luck.
“So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written…But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.”
Blc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 21:05   #6

Thanks for the great advice. We're all very excited anticipating the weekend. At the end of the month we're heading to Saint Thomas and have another charter their, just two days though - I have to work sometime.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:42   #7

I have chartered from Sailing Florida before and they should provide you with detailed charts of the areas around there, including suggested anchoring spots. In fact, if you check their website they have some suggested itineraries.

Just be aware that when you are inside Tampa Bay, or the ICW, you need to keep an eye on the depth gauge and the charts. Outside of the channels there are lots of shallow areas and sandbars. If you go outside, into the gulf, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Unless you plan to get there the day ahead, and stay on the boat the night before you leave, I would not plan on getting a very early start, or getting very far on the first day. It always seems that getting aboard, getting the boat provisioned, and getting on your way takes longer than expected. We usually just end up anchoring in the Manatee River the first night and then heading out the next morning.

If there are no special events going on in St. Pete while you're there you can park on the street (for free) right next to the marina. If there is a special event your car will get towed, but usually (no guarantees) they only tow it over a couple of blocks and put it on another street. Anyway, it's worth checking to see if anything is going on in town while you're there. Of course, if you'd rather park inside a garage anyway, then use the parking for the Renaissance Vinoy--not sure what the daily rate is.

Good luck. Weather around here has been great lately.

I have to say that flying down to St. Thomas for just a two-day charter hardly seems worth it to me, but I hope that goes well also.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:04   #8

Again, thank you. We are arriving on the 15th and plan to make it to the marina by 8 am on the 16th. I'm asking SF to set the boat up with provisions. I want to do as little as possible.

As for Saint Thomas, we are actually down there for 10 days but just are chartering for two of them. I have a conference there and just wanted more time on a boat.

This is a great forum, and I appreciate the friendly and experienced advice.

Robert
Old 07-02-2012, 08:17   #9

Boat: Tartan 37

Robert: I just sent you a PM with my husband's, Falco, telephone number. He is a wealth of information about sailing and the area and he will be more than happy to help you.

Have a great time!
Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:58   #10

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Re: First Step Into Cruising - Sort Of

Robert
With a name like Go Wildcats, you must be from Kentucky. I live in Lexington, where are you?
Jerry
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:09   #11

While I do love Kentucky (especially the races!), I'm a Northwestern grad. Hence the Wildcats. I live in Chicago. And am currently cold.
Old 09-02-2012, 14:20   #12

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

You could cruise down to Anna Maria Island then back up to St Pete.

Tags
cruising