Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2008, 04:43   #16

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
I don't understand all the complaining. IN THE REST OF THE ENTIRE WORLD, passports are a normal thing for those that travel. I think that the government doesn't want you to see the world outside the U.S., it's too easy to see the problems here if you go there.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 06:08   #17

Boat: C&C 27
I've got to agree with waterworldly. I've been travelling in and out of the country for a long time now and over the past ten years the passport has been my primary identification for both international and domestic travel. It's no big deal and in some domestic cases it seems easier to use than a state drivers license.

Further, yachts have been used for smuggling for years, just check out a sheriff's auction. Right now the US is in a situation where no official wants to repeat the "no one would have ever thought of that" argument. It also sounds like exceptions for frequent travellers who are willing to prequalify are making travel in some cases easier. To me having to avoid Cuba is a far bigger problem than having to show a passport to immigration.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 06:43   #18

We use an I68 for returning to the US from Canada, makes re-entry pretty easy since all that's required is a phone call to check in.

Checking into Canada is also quite easy once you are in their computer. Call 1-800 canpass "Hello this is S/V Joli .....yes my wife and son are aboard....no my daughter did not make it this trip......we have no firearms.....a case of beer, two bottles of wine and rum......our check in number is 2587412...Thanks.

Our family travels quite a bit so we all have passports, just the way it is. I will say that returning to the US is always a much longer process then travelling to other countries. Checking in and out of China, Europe, or Mexico is rarely more then 10 mintures but returning home may take 2-3 hours to get through the lines. I don't understand that.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 07:40   #19

Boat: Southern Cross 39 - sv Kristali
Local Boaters Option

Rick.. yes you can register at Port Canaveral or Melbourne Airport.

Steve
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 16:27   #20

Boat: CorsairF27
Bahamas - Cartagena

Hi All,

New to this so please forgive any inadvertent gaffs...

I have a boat in S Florida and need to bring it to Colombia. I have time in late June/early July but this is the hurricane season. Would I be crazy to consider ducking and diving my way through at this time of year?

I'd welcome any thoughts which don't include the word 'idiot', no, it's ok, 'idiot's fine...

Rob
sinrob7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 17:01   #21

Welcome, Rob

Not sure what ducking and diving means, but March is a common time to head south. I guess you would take the Windward Passage and maybe stop off in Jamaica. If you had unlimited time, it would be more fun to sail the Bahamas, PR and the Leeward/Windward chain, then downwind to Colombia.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:55   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, and welcome.

You might want to repost your question in a new thread. You'll get a lot more responses that way, and won't divert the current thread's topic.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:30   #23

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
No Worries

I'm okay with this...better me show my passport than someone else try and use it. Showing a passport is not a problem and, honestly, if you're travelling onboard & abroad it only makes sense to have a passport...it is one of the best forms of ID and, like Visa, accepted everywhere.

Plus, my wife is visually impaired and does not have a drivers license...she has a State ID card...try using that to even cash a check...even though it is issued by the Government (with a capital G) they wil not accept it as proof of ID.
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote