Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 10:00   #16

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: FL to Pig Beach - best route, place to clear customs?

Bimini Sands is a very good and very sheltered marina. But just beware, to clear in there (at least last time I went) you have to take a taxi to the airport, just hope you don't arrive there at the same time as an incoming flight. Also, South Bimini has nearly nothing on it (one or maybe 2 restaurants), you have to take the water shuttle across to North Bimini for groceries, most restaurants, etc. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 10:22   #17

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I'd say Bimini to Berry's to New Providence to Exumas. You're mostly going into the constant SE wind, so choose your days and anchorages.
I cleared at Big Game, but anchored just north of them with my 3 1/2 ft draft (there was more water) and dinngied in (just captain). I wouldn't hang around in Bimini, but the Berry's are great. Great Harbor is fun. You can anchor on the NW side of New Providence with protection from the constant SE wind. Nassau has easy access marinas on the east side near the Yacht Club that are close to food and supplies. It's better to stay around farther east at Palm Cay (pronounced Key) for a more pleasant stay.
There are also pigs on Noname Cay in the Abacos just south of Green Turtle Cay. They don't seem to swim as much but they still bite. I petted a piglet with my left hand and did video with my right. Mama hit my right hand and the phone went flying. No blood!
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 11:03   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, 'Dubs.
I usually cleared in at Cat Cay, from FTL.
Thence to Nassau, cross the (White & Yellow) banks to Norman's, then down to Staniel (Big Major's Spot, below) either on Banks or Sound.
Cat Cay also used to be my favorite clearing in spot but last time I checked they charged $50 for you to use their docks for custom's clearance. Fee is waived if you spend the night at the marina but last I checked that was also a bit expensive and you're limited to 24 hours only as a non member.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 14:25   #19

Boat: Currently in between

Last Winter we left Marathon, hit the Stream and went east to So. Riding Rock. Anchored up there over night and continued east across the Bank to the NW Passage (entrance from the Bank to the Tongue of the Ocean) and anchored up again. Next morning we went through the Passage and down to Morgan's Bluff where we checked in. The next morning we went to the south side of New Providence. We never went to the island, we just anchored on the south/Lee side and had a good night's sleep. The next day we went SE across the Yellow & White Banks and arrived at Norman's Cay with plenty of daylight left. Stayed on the west side of the Exuma Islands and went south to Warderick and then on south to Staniel.

Easy effortless trip with no long passages except the overnighter from Marathon to So. Riding Rock.

The catch to checking in at Morgan's Bluff is Customs & Immigration are not located there. They are at Nichols Town which is 5 miles south. You call when you arrive and they drive up to meet you. We waited about 1/2 hour for them to appear.

YMMV but it worked well for us!
Old 21-11-2018, 04:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Cat Cay also used to be my favorite clearing in spot but last time I checked they charged $50 for you to use their docks for custom's clearance. Fee is waived if you spend the night at the marina but last I checked that was also a bit expensive and you're limited to 24 hours only as a non member.
It was a $100 if I remember right, when we checked in there in 2016. But, it was easy and we got a six month visa.
Old 21-11-2018, 05:42   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
It was a $100 if I remember right, when we checked in there in 2016. But, it was easy and we got a six month visa.
It is easy since customs are right there and usually not busy at all but $100 to use the dock for an hour or so is a bit much for me.

My last trip I cleared at West End and it was a piece of cake. No charge for just clearing customs and the office is right by the docks. When I was there no power at the docks due to damage from a hurricane that had not been repaired but I didn't need it anyway.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 06:02   #22

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

Thank you all very much for the inputs, this is really valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Next morning we went through the Passage and down to Morgan's Bluff where we checked in.
SV Bacchus, I looked into Morgan’s Bluff based on your comment and it looks really interesting. Looks right along the route. Waiting 30 minutes isn’t so bad, I mainly just want to avoid a busy area. Did you tie your boat up to any of the docks inside the harbor, or did you anchor in the harbor and dinghy over, or did you anchor out in the anchorage and dinghy all the way through the channel? Some people say tie up to a dock inside the harbor if you can, others say avoid it due to wrecks on the bottom. I’ve also read the anchorage outside the harbor has poor holding and anchors drag a lot.

Bimini Sands sounds good as well.

I haven’t forgotten about Nassau, it just seems like it would be really busy.
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 05:51   #23

I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad experience clearing customs or immigration. The funniest time was flying back to Staniel Cay once and having ti clear in on Andros. We cleared in with the Immigration lady (who we assumed was Customs and doing both jobs,) while the lady next to her said nothing. We then sat around until the pilot came back and told us to load up. At this point, the other lady spoke up and said “they can’t board, they haven’t cleared Customs.”

He looked her, tapped his watch, and said, “Lucinda, I’m running late, we got to go.” She just threw up her hands and said, “Well, just be that way and go then”, and laughed.”

So we went.
Old 23-11-2018, 06:43   #24

Of course if you are going just because you want to see pigs swim, you don't have to go all the way to the Exumas. There are swimming pigs in the Abacos too...

I have to say I don't really get the appeal, but they are there, and a much shorter and easier trip from FL.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 06:47   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
FL to Pig Beach - best route, place to clear customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
As for the other poster who was questioning what caused the demise of multiple pigs there last year, it was liquor that was fed to them by tourists that killed them.

I remember reading that some Vet actually did an autopsy, and found the cause of death to be from dehydration, not alcohol poisoning.
I can’t link to that, it’s from memory.

On edit, pretty easy Google.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...bahamas-death/

I suspect it may not be too long before you have to pay a tour operator to take you to visit the pigs, but that is just my suspicion
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 09:50   #26

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I remember reading that some Vet actually did an autopsy, and found the cause of death to be from dehydration, not alcohol poisoning.
I can’t link to that, it’s from memory.

On edit, pretty easy Google.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...bahamas-death/

I suspect it may not be too long before you have to pay a tour operator to take you to visit the pigs, but that is just my suspicion
Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't caused by tourists.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 10:26   #27

One tip when you see the pigs and if you are taking your dinghy in to the beach ,do not get in to close . if the pigs have their feet on the ground they can get up on your dinghy and mess up your boat .if you're out deep enough where they have to swim they cannot do that
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 10:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Of course if you are going just because you want to see pigs swim, you don't have to go all the way to the Exumas. There are swimming pigs in the Abacos too...

I have to say I don't really get the appeal, but they are there, and a much shorter and easier trip from FL.
Billknny thanks for mentioning that. I took a look and it looks like that No Name Cay has just as many or more pigs. So that would definitely work. I’ve heard Green Turtle Cay is also a good place to clear customs' so the logistics of dong that then hitting No Name Cay right next door to see the pigs sounds really good. Anyone ever clear customs in Green Turtle? Also, any good snorkeling spots nearby?
Old 23-11-2018, 11:48   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Thunderball Grotto is close by, and that is about as good as it gets snorkeling.
It’s full of tiny fish, take some single serving bags of cereal with you and open it in the grotto. You’ll think the place is full of piranha from the way they will go at the cereal.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 19:26   #30

Hi everyone
Based on the tip by Billknny, it looks like doing a trip to the pigs near Green Turtle Cay (on No Name Cay) would be easier. Marsh Harbor is only 20 miles away and has decent flights which offers fantastic flexibility for the wife and kids’ schedule. They could join me for the passage from Florida to Marsh Harbor to clear customs, then hang around that area for a few days then they could return to the States via airplane.

Odds are we would do this trip in mid-March, and I would likely leave from Jacksonville FL. I’m thinking that Marsh Harbor would be a good place to make landfall and clear customs, and maybe even get a regular hotel room at the marina so they don’t get burned out after a two day passage (it would be their first long voyage). If anyone had a great experience renting a room ashore at one of the marinas please let me know.

Also, about the mooring balls in the harbor, I’ve heard you don’t really make reservations for them, you just pick one up and tie up. I imagine then take a dinghy ashore and pay. But how do you know which marina owns the ball? Are they labeled?

Thanks again, you guys saved me so much potential family unhappiness.
‘Dubs

Tags
customs, route