Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2021, 15:56   #16

Boat: Hanse 348
Re: FLL to Bimini, weather advice

Yes, you can pay 180 for rapid pcr tests at a bunch of labs. If you are in FLL, I can give you that.

Is it still that you need a test to get back into the states 2 days prior to arriving? Does it need to be pcr? Where do you get these in the Bahamas, can you get them on any of the small islands in exumas?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 17:50   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Last i saw the pcr test to come back only was for flying back to States. But no matter, don't worry about that as the reqts change all the time (there are places here, mostly Nassau)
Old 16-03-2021, 10:22   #18

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Looking at leaving Ft Laud next Wed the 24th, at 0300 in 38' cat. First time crossing, was advised not to go when wind has a N component, and possibly wait 24 more hours for seas to settle down in the stream.

Here is current forecast:

Sat 20th, NNW 8mph
Sun 21, NNE 12
Mon 22, NE 13
Tue 23, ENE 13
Wed 24, E 13
Thu 25th, ESE 14

Winds aren't that strong, by the time we leave winds clocking towards the E, but for 4 days prior have some Northerly component.

For those with experience, looking for some advice on this.

We have made this crossing multiple times in our Leopard 39 which is very similar to your Lagoon 38S. We departed from both Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades) and Key Biscayne. For crossing to Bimini, I highly recommend leaving from Key Biscayne. The anchorage outside of No Name Harbor is excellent and for a 3am departure the channel is well marked after you clear Cape Florida light. Be mindful of the shoal area to starboard as you near the cape. Also have a spotlight handy to clearly identify Red#10 and Green #11 Buoys. You do not want to mistake them for Red #8 and Green #7 which would be your targets. If you turn a little west toward #10/#11 you will be in 3' or less of water (ask me how I know). Once you pick up #7/#8 you should see lighted Red buoy #6 to port. As you leave #6 to port you'll see #3,#2 and #1 lighted buoys and you will be all set. I'm sure you can read a chart as well as me and probably don't need all this advice. Nonetheless coming out of there in the dark, especially at 3am can be a little disorienting. As for preferred wind direction for the crossing you will have a far more pleasant run over if you leave under conditions similar to the forecast on the 25th. Yes you could leave under light winds from the North, especially if the GS is not running full but why? I like salty weather every now and then as much as the next guy or gal but I don't deliberately go looking for it if nicer conditions are coming up. Under the conditions forecast for the 25th I would probably sail/motor SSE or SE for the first hour after clearing Cape Florida then fall off for the run to Bimini with the ESE wind more on the beam which our boat seems to prefer. Your call of course. In the Exumas, highly recommend Wadderick Wells for amazing snorkeling with huge eagle rays and Cambridge Cay for snorkelling, diving and fabulous sunsets over Sand Bar Beach. Have a wonderful time.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 11:39   #19

Boat: Hanse 348

Thanks for the advice on the crossing routes. Was looking at this forecast on weather.com just for an idea. Now looking on Predictwind, showing 25kts from N/NE on a few models on the 22nd/23d. A bit far out for accuracy, but obviously if this holds, we delay until winds go ESE at least.

BTW, keep my boat up in RI during the summer, saw you are in MA, where do you keep the Leopard.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 20:49   #20

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Thanks for the advice on the crossing routes. Was looking at this forecast on weather.com just for an idea. Now looking on Predictwind, showing 25kts from N/NE on a few models on the 22nd/23d. A bit far out for accuracy, but obviously if this holds, we delay until winds go ESE at least.

BTW, keep my boat up in RI during the summer, saw you are in MA, where do you keep the Leopard.
Our boat is currently in Brunswick, GA but I am seriously thinking of bringing her up to RI this summer. Any suggestions as to marinas we should contact?
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, bimini, weather