Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2021, 04:34   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
FLL to Bimini, weather advice

Looking at leaving Ft Laud next Wed the 24th, at 0300 in 38' cat. First time crossing, was advised not to go when wind has a N component, and possibly wait 24 more hours for seas to settle down in the stream.

Here is current forecast:

Sat 20th, NNW 8mph
Sun 21, NNE 12
Mon 22, NE 13
Tue 23, ENE 13
Wed 24, E 13
Thu 25th, ESE 14

Winds aren't that strong, by the time we leave winds clocking towards the E, but for 4 days prior have some Northerly component.

For those with experience, looking for some advice on this.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 04:39   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: FLL to Bimini, weather advice

The way the forecast has been changing the last 2 days i wouldn't be planning at all really. But in your small snapshot i wouldn't leave till Thursday. Btw you know you are going to sail against the GS.
Old 15-03-2021, 05:19   #3

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The way the forecast has been changing the last 2 days i wouldn't be planning at all really. But in your small snapshot i wouldn't leave till Thursday. Btw you know you are going to sail against the GS.
Sailorboy is correct - why fight the current,,,,you would be best to sail south to Key Biscayne on the the NW winds coming with the next front, just hug the coast. Then cross from further south. I would not leave from FLL unless I planned to clear in at Freeport.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 05:46   #4

It has a lot to do with how your boat sails and what you are comfortable with. My boat rides better with a large swell on the beam than a short chop on the nose so I would take a moderate N over due E. However unless your plan is just to motor, you would be better to hug the coast south before crossing as said above. I generally start from Key Largo since Bimini is almost exactly east of Miami and the stream can be nearly my hull speed from the south in that area.
CSYChip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 06:24   #5

You are falling into the hive mind terror of Gulf Stream crossings.What's the big deal with this? if it looks good you head out. If it is too rough to be comfortable you turn around.

Your boat is big enough that--short of a gale--it won't be dangerous.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 06:29   #6

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Firstly, all of the forecasts are going to change because you're too far out. Secondly, of all the wind directions and speeds that you listed, NNW8 is by far the most favorable for sailing east in a catamaran.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 06:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
You are falling into the hive mind terror of Gulf Stream crossings.What's the big deal with this? if it looks good you head out. If it is too rough to be comfortable you turn around.

Your boat is big enough that--short of a gale--it won't be dangerous.
Not worried about the danger of the boat falling apart.

Not how the world works these days.

You have 5 days from taking a pcr test showing neg to enter the Bahamas. Considering it can take up to 2 days to get results, and a day for Bahamas to process the visa, you have about 48 hour max window to go. Need to be there at customs no later than noon (their suggestion) meaning leaving at 3am.

If the wind is on the nose, we just motor, not concerned if we sail it or not.

Yes, currently we are far out, expect weather forecast is not so accurate now, but with all of the above, trying to make some plans.
Old 15-03-2021, 07:08   #8
CLOD

I went to a rapid test site and did it based on the 5 day window. I had the rest results the next morning and barely made the trip in “good” weather and took a pounding the last 2 hours. I can not see how i could have made if it too 2 days just to get test results.

Btw the Bahamas approval takes about the amount of time it takes to type in. You will have it about an hour after starting (you have to do one for each person)
Old 15-03-2021, 07:19   #9

Thanks sailorboy1. We are thinking of paying the 180 to do it at a rapid test place rather than broward county sites for free. Rapid say they get your results in 24 hours.

I was under the impression that you could submit online with a pending as long as you uploaded negative prior to trying to enter? Glad to hear that they really don't take 24 hours to approve it!

So you think that as long as the forecast has a "N" in it of some sort (NE, ENE, etc) wait 24 hours until there is no N component. What about a E wind?
Old 15-03-2021, 08:10   #10
CLOD

It all depends really. Light NE wind is mostly ok as long as there wasn't high N wind first. E wind you fight, plus for you you are going to have to loop around due to GS. FLL to Bimini in a S/SE may as well be E wind. If you want to go to Bimini (nothing special about it and you will then have to fight to get across the Bank and to get south) you really should stage down in Miami/Key Biscayne.
Old 15-03-2021, 08:23   #11
CLOD

Btw, print out at least 3 copies of your test results and your approved health visa. Don't delete the email off your phone in case a marina or fuel dock wants to see it.
Old 15-03-2021, 08:48   #12

Plan was to do a long day to bimini to clear. stay overnight. leave early again, cross the bank to the berries. Spend a few days in the Berries going S. Hop over to exumas. Spend 10 days there. 3 to 4 weeks in total.
Old 15-03-2021, 10:06   #13

According to "travel.gov.bs", a rapid test is not acceptable.
It must be the PCR (swab) test.
Makes it particularly difficult.
wspeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 10:38   #14

Indeed, I was just filling out the forms for our arrival and it says this.
See the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	234579  
wspeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 12:23   #15

There are places that you can get a “rapid” 24 hr turn around on the MRNA PCR test. Hawaii requires a mRNA PCR also, doesn’t matter how long the turnaround is. Just has to be a nucleic amplification test.
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, bimini, weather