Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 17:54   #1

Florida and points West by powerboat

Having spent 20 years sailing now in 60's, my wife crew having mutiny-ted and not been a yacht owner for a number of years.

I find my self in Florida for the winters doing up a delapidated Mobile home.

Stunned by the cheapness of some of the weekender power boats, here v6 inboard engines. less than a $1000. for a boat needing engine repairs.

I wonder how easy it would be to do some Island hopping in the summer months when said wife is in the Uk, we only have 6 month US visa's and are here for the winters.

What are the longest passages between the islands down the Carribean? how far could I expect to get, What are the perol/gas prices, sea states, and boat storage?.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks Dick
2bigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 19:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
What are the longest passages between the islands down the Caribbean? how far could I expect to get, What are the peril/gas prices, sea states, and boat storage?.
You might want to sort out the questions in order. As far as distances the Carib's did them in hand made canoes and settled them all or at least passed through. Would I do it in a cheap power boat? not on a bet with a reward at the end. The only serious issues are between the islands at least in the Windwards.

On a lucky day with good weather a trip to the Bahama's would be easy (as long as you clear customs). On a bad day we might not hear back from you. That really is the problem. When things go well it's nice and when not it's too much to handle. You get over fine and then you don't get back, take a right at Virginia and don't make it to Bermuda. The Gulf Stream with weather is not a good bet. You could do better with a sail boat than a cheap power boat you pick up from week-enders. Even they wouldn't try anything like that.

In the summer, they have hurricane season. It's not always a big deal but when it is, it really is a very huge deal. You don't mess with not even on land. It's also wet season in the Windwards.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:29   #3

thanks for your reply...

I must admit I was apprehensive about the weather.
I certainly would not even consider the Bahamas, just a trip westwards and give the boat away when finished. I considered using navtex and other weather services, and dash when the weather was OK. I thought fuel range would be the bigest problem, sail would of course be ideal but these days I like to be tucked up cosy at night. There would be no time presures just move when possible and store the boat each year.
2bigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I thought fuel range would be the biggest problem, sail would of course be ideal but these days I like to be tucked up cosy at night.
You have limited ability to handle weather in a small power boat. A client used to keep his boat in Port St Lucie and would dash across the 29 miles. You could probably do that too. He lived there too and so knew the weather patterns and tides and exactly where he was going. He mostly did the trip in a floatilla.

To be properly equipped I think you don't want a disposable boat. An engine problem in the Gulf Stream has you drifting at maybe 5 knots northward. Using great skill, you get the engine working perfectly but it took two and a half hours. It dawns on you that you just ran out of fuel range and never wasted a drop and it's going to be dark soon. You can do everything right but don't have the backup for some situations in a small power boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida