Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 21:05   #1

Boat: Leopard 46 Owners
Florida keys with a 71 foot mast?

I have a new to me Leopard 46 that has a 4.5 foot draft and 71 mast height.
I am planning a short cruise to the Florida keys starting from Pompano Beach and returning 10 days later. Leaving next week.

My problem is it looks like most of the anchorages are on the gulf side of the keys and I can’t get under the fixed bridges.

Any suggestions on an itinerary from those who know the area? Would love some good snorkeling, a combo of secluded anchorages as well as some restaurants and bars.

Ken
SailSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 21:42   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Florida keys with a 71 foot mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSB View Post

I am planning a short cruise to the Florida keys starting from Pompano Beach and returning 10 days later. Leaving next week.

My problem is it looks like most of the anchorages are on the gulf side of the keys and I can’t get under the fixed bridges.

Any suggestions on an itinerary from those who know the area? Would love some good snorkeling, a combo of secluded anchorages as well as some restaurants and bars.

Ken

You can anchor most anywhere in the keys. All the snorkeling is on the ocean side anyway. Having said that we live on the bay side at MM90. You can see our 72’ mast from a ways. We go through snake creek. Don’t be afraid of the wires, you will pass. Welcome to anchor behind the house and stop by for a beer . B
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 21:59   #3

Boat: Columbia 8.7

There is one opening bridge at Snake Creek that you can theoretically go through. One boater with a 64' mast said on Active Captain he touched a wire charted at 76'. Other boats said 70ish foot masts are fine.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:11   #4

Thanks to both of you. I had seen Snake Creek on Active Captain, but got scared off when the shorter mast said they hit. Good to know I can get through.

Dave852, I'll PM you if we get a chance to stop by.

If weather permits, we may also go to Bimini. We'll make that call at the last minute.

Thanks again.

Ken

Ken
Old 18-02-2020, 12:55   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

You can enter John Pennecamp state park And Boot key Marathon,both ocean side.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 18:20   #6

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Is there sag in the middle of the Snake Creek wire? On hot days the wire will expand from thermal expansion, and increase sag.

I'm in Ft Lauderdale, and looking for a window to move to Biscayne Bay. I was hoping for Black point marina, or vicinity. Black point already rented their Cat slip, so I'm stuck.

Any ideas on a marina that might have an opening? Also any stopping points along the Atlantic side of the Keys?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 18:30   #7

I measured my mast again. Including VHF antenna mast is 72 ft off the water. I made it through in snake creek on low tide (very shallow at the beginning of the channel on the Atlantic side) and out on a high tide with no problems at the wires. On the way in I asked the bridge keeper her guestimate on how much I cleared the wires by and she guessed about 10 ft. Looked a lot closer than that from the deck, but I never hit and she had a better angel to view from, so I'm assuming she was close to accurate.

On a side note, I tried to leave a day earlier, but the bridge was broken and would not go up. Took them a day to get it working again.

Thanks again to Dave852. I spoke to him several times on the phone and he was a great source of info.
Old 07-03-2020, 13:09   #8

Any stopping points figured out yet?
Old 07-03-2020, 14:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSB View Post

Ken
Hawk Channel.
Old 07-03-2020, 14:35   #10

I live in Islamorada at MM 74.

Indian Key (MM 76) would be perfect mooring location if you did not want to go thru Snake Creek.

A short dinghy ride from your anchorage will get you to plenty of restaurants, you would need to Uber to Publix about 4-5 miles up the road

Anchor on the south side
PYV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 18:32   #11

I just finished the trip.

I stopped at Biscayne bay, No Name Harbor, Billy's point, Rodriguez, Tavernier, Long Key, Boot key, and Scott Key.

All were nice, and worked well except Boot Key. Constant power boat traffic, (apparently everyone suffered a throttle failure, and were stuck on full speed while taking shortcut through several dozen anchored boats, often circling around for a 2nd pass, some close enough to scrape paint. From 6PM through the night every 3-5 mins, until 3AM, then start again at 6AM).

The only upside was easy dinghy ride to West Marine, and a dozen parts stores. Even NAPA Auto had impellers, and various marine hardware.

Many, many crab traps all up & down Florida coast. from 5 Miles offshore, across channels, even intercoastal, and blanketing anchorages every 20 ft, every place with more than 2ft of water, those guys are seriously out of control.

Overall good trip.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:33   #12

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
All were nice, and worked well except Boot Key. Constant power boat traffic, (apparently everyone suffered a throttle failure, and were stuck on full speed while taking shortcut through several dozen anchored boats, often circling around for a 2nd pass, some close enough to scrape paint. From 6PM through the night every 3-5 mins, until 3AM, then start again at 6AM).
Wow, I was on mooring ball D3 for almost five months, next to the channel entrance to the City Marina Dinghy dock. Never experienced anything like what you are describing..........

Were you at anchor or a mooring?
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 15:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I just finished the trip.

I stopped at Biscayne bay, No Name Harbor, Billy's point, Rodriguez, Tavernier, Long Key, Boot key, and Scott Key.

The only upside was easy dinghy ride to West Marine, and a dozen parts stores. Even NAPA Auto had impellers, and various marine hardware.

Many, many crab traps all up & down Florida coast. from 5 Miles offshore, across channels, even intercoastal, and blanketing anchorages every 20 ft, every place with more than 2ft of water, those guys are seriously out of control.

Overall good trip.
The crab traps are wild in the Keys. I think I end up cutting one out of my prop every single trip, no matter how much I look for them.

And, we don't ever go to Boot Key anymore either. I didn't invent it, but the guy who described it as a Sailor Park, nailed it.
Old 11-04-2020, 18:09   #14

I was anchored next to the big no wake zone sign at the entrance to the channel next to spoil bank.

The inner mooring area skeeved me out. It was a floating junkyard, with an occasional mast poking out of the water. The defunk bridge gap is 24 ft wide, so is my boat. So no way.

You would think as a courtesy, people could cut the throttle 10 ft early before plowing through several dozen boats anchored at the channel entrance, but you would be wrong. 10ft before colliding with the fuel dock maybe, but before entering a channel with no wake area signs, and a buoy with no wake printed on it? No way. I used to be a power boater, now I hate them.

Tags
florida, florida keys, mast