Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 11:48   #16

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37
Re: From Florida Keys to Bimini

Just crossed over on Friday on our monohull. Staged at No Name Harbor, left at 5 am, arrived in Bimini at 2 pm, motoring into east winds the whole way. Lots of rock and rolling, but no major drama.
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 07:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfportBarb View Post
Just crossed over on Friday on our monohull. Staged at No Name Harbor, left at 5 am, arrived in Bimini at 2 pm, motoring into east winds the whole way. Lots of rock and rolling, but no major drama.
That's the way we do it, now. I used to go at night, but I just find leaving early and crossing in the daylight to be less stressful. There is a LOT of big ship traffic and it's just a lot easier to deal with them in the day.

You have so many check in options (but, not Chub Cay as I heard they closed the office there recently. Cat Cay. Bimini, Morgan's Harbor, or just go to Nassau. Cat Cay is my favorite check in, even with the $100 docking fee. I'm kind of over Bimini. I liked it back in the seventies, but it is just so run down these days. The giant resort on the north end has not helped.
Old 25-12-2016, 07:56   #18

Boat: Whitby 42

The easiest crossing we had was from marathon. Left an hour before dark were out in open water by dark and you have the stream behind you and a e or se wind is not on your nose from there. I dont like tiptoeing across reefs that are only 10ft deep like at rodriguez in the dark but many do it. And i dont like having to do the crossing in daytime and chance coming in to unmarked harbors at dusk. We have crossed from miami but went 25 miles south before heading east just to give a better heading also overnight. We have also done west palm to abacos which was easy.
Good luck
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 09:28   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I like to leave from Angelfish creek at the north end of Key Largo. I have a similar size boat to yours and have no trouble crossing from there. I stage behind Pumpkin key and wait for weather. I leave at first light and arrive in Bimini between 2 and 3 in the afternoon. If the wind is right sometimes even a little earlier. Once I clear the 25 foot line I take up a course of 090M and let the stream take care of the northing. I make final adjustments to the course when about 10 miles from Bimini. I prefer to check in at Bimini as one can get a slip for $1.00 a foot, you won't find that in Nassau. You can come all the way up to Pumpkin key on the ICW with no trouble with your draft or a 60Ft mast. It is a much more sheltered passage that Hawk's channel if you are waiting for the wind to go south. I don't recommend Angelfish Creek in the dark the first time through as the exit is a bit narrow, but well marked. After you have cleared the creek I head for the 10ft spot just south of R2 and the head for the next 10ft spot just south of the unnumbered marker at 25 17.719N 80 11.423W after that take up 090M and enjoy the ride.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, florida, florida keys