Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2016, 04:14   #1

From Florida Keys to Bimini

Hi Folks,

I want to sail early December from the Keys to Bimini. I have read some threats here and have a few question you might be able to help me with. My boat is 4' (1,2 m) draft Catamaran with a mast hight of around 60'.

1. My most favorite place to start the journey would be Channel five Outlet. Looks on my maps like nice and ease and from there a comfortable 95Nm ride to Bimini. Also the outlet looks very doable at night. Any experiences from your side?

2. Snake Creek seems an option too but is very narrow and very shallow. No way I would go there at night. What is your advice?

3. Rodriguez Key as hop off looks good too, but how to get there with a sailboat. No feasible outlets around.

Many thanks for your advice

Klaus
klaus53123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 04:25   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: From Florida Keys to Bimini

There are dive mooring balls located near all the lighthouses. Just go out in daylight and pick up a mooring ball and then leave after dark. I have been using those balls for 25 years without problems.

Anywhere south of Key Largo is a good starting point.

Map of Buoys in Alligator Reef Sanctuary Preservation Area

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 05:10   #3

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Crossed over from Snake to Bimini in April of this year. Caught the last Snake Creek scheduled bridge opening at 6 PM, and was outside Bimini channel before daybreak. We anchored up for a while waiting for sun to come up before entering channel for first time. I don't remember Snake exit being an issue. But then again, it was light when we went thru there. Seawind 1000 cat.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 05:14   #4

@sailjumnji: thanks... What is your draft?

Klaus
Old 26-11-2016, 05:46   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Klaus,

South Florida to Bimini to Bahamas?

The following may help you. It may not fit your plan exactly, but may give you some insights and if you follow the link you will find much more via other pages on SUMNER's site.

I took another look through my notes and found this link to the best page describing a transit from Miami to Bimini by CF member SUMNER in his MacGregor 26S.

It is very well illustrated. I will post one photo to show you his course and track, which illustrates well the effect the Gulf Stream had on pushing his boat North of his course.

Gulf Stream Crossing from Miami to Bimini

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%2...as-Page-1.html

NOTE!
There are many pages of detailed notes on Sumner's blog about his trip to the Bahamas. The link above is just one page out of many. While I recommend that page above for the concise transit notes, I encourage you to read the other pages discussing preparations, weather, and other days of the trip too. Well worth reading, regardless of the size of boat you have. The link to the Main Menu for his Bahamas voyage is below:

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%2...Main-Menu.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 05:49   #6

I think 3.5 feet. But probably deeper as we were loaded down for three month trip. Started in Orange Beach, Alabama in mid March. Crossed into Bimini on April 1. Spent two months going thru Exumas. Returned to Florida. Hopped off shore from Ft Myers direct to Grand Isle, then offshore again to Galveston TX.
Old 26-11-2016, 05:52   #7

Other cruisers we met also used channel five exit, and staged up at Rodriquez for crossing weather.
Old 26-11-2016, 08:52   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus53123 View Post
Hi Folks,

I want to sail early December from the Keys to Bimini. I have read some threats here and have a few question you might be able to help me with. My boat is 4' (1,2 m) draft Catamaran with a mast hight of around 60'.

1. My most favorite place to start the journey would be Channel five Outlet. Looks on my maps like nice and ease and from there a comfortable 95Nm ride to Bimini. Also the outlet looks very doable at night. Any experiences from your side?

2. Snake Creek seems an option too but is very narrow and very shallow. No way I would go there at night. What is your advice?

3. Rodriguez Key as hop off looks good too, but how to get there with a sailboat. No feasible outlets around.

Many thanks for your advice

Klaus
Cross during daylight - heavy traffic. Look at the horizon east before you go. If you see elephants marching on the horizon don't go. If the horizon is smooth - haul ass!!
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 09:34   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you go Chanel 5 be aware that the ICW buoys are R to Rt for northbound and ocean access is R to Lt eastbound. Don't ask how I learned that.
The advice to use a light house mooring ball is good. It will avoid any tight navigation in the dark. I absolutely would not take Snake Creek in the dark. It might help if you advise your starting point.
Here's hoping you get good weather for your trip.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 09:44   #10

Snake Creek FYI

Shallow Water Confirmed at Entrance to Snake Creek From Hawk Channel, Florida Keys, near Islamorada | Cruisers' Net

Snake Creek, USCG Station, Plantation Key | Florida
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 13:03   #11

I used to be a dive boat Captain for the Boy Scout base just north of Channel 5. Went out through channel five more times than I can count. Also went out Snake Creek a few times. If you have the option of either, I would say the 5 is much easier. But I like the idea of hanging on a mooring ball, Alligator light is pretty much between Snake creek and the 5, and the lower numbered balls are a great spot for snorkeling. That would be a great way to spend an afternoon/evening waiting to start your crossing.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 14:07   #12

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

You Don't say where you are starting. It sounds like west coast florida? channel 5 is a good start If you have to wait for weather there is plenty of room to anchor on either side of the bridge, depending on the direction of wind, for comfort. If you want, whilst waiting for weather you can go up to Rodriquez key and stage from there. leaving from either place is easy at night. I wouldn't waste my time with snake creek Unless you are coming from say bay side key largo. If you make real good time and get to Bimini too soon you can anchor at the south end of south bimini, I think its called Nixon bay. Leave yourself some room to back down a ways till the hook sets. I was just there last month. Unless you are going to dock there, it's not worth stayin' as there isn't much room to anchor inside of North Bimini and the south end of south Bimini can get a little bouncy. We have a friend in south Bimini with a dock. I'm usually going to the far and south Bahamas and go in at Gunn key. Depending on the wind you can anchor on either side. on the west side if you want to stay a day or two bring some squid as bait and go swimming with the stingrays, there is also good hogfish and lobster there too. Don't check in there tho make it to Nassau if your going south or take the short hop to Bimini and check in at the airport on south bimini if your going to the Abaco's or spanish wells and Eluthra.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 18:47   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

Bimini on a moonless night, especially with weather, can be a most frightening experience!
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 19:10   #14

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Anchor in the lee of Rodriquez Key, weigh anchor @ 4am, tiptoe across the reef, arrive in Bimini in time to check-in.

Done it several times, it's easy in the right weather window.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 09:00   #15

Hi Folks,

Mandy Thanks vor all thus wonderful advice. Will use channel five.

Klaus

Tags
bimini, florida, florida keys