Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 11:18   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk1
Fun Overnight stops near NYC

I thought it might be a good time to poll the board and see if anyone has any good destination stops they'd be willing to share within a day sail of NYC. I'm planning a short cruise for Labor Day weekend, it had me thinking that I really don't know of that many places around here. I'd love to find some more spots to take my friends/crew for the weekend.

I keep my boat in the Hudson at the 79th Street Boat Basin. I've done Atlantic Highlands and Sandy Hook of course...but that's about it. I've also gone into the sound and explored some of Port Washington and Manahasset Bay. Good destinations in the Sound are definitely appreciated, but I would love to find some more nice stops that don't require going up the east river and through Hell Gate. I've already got one strong current to deal with (the Hudson), so I'd love to avoid the east river whenever possible. Anyone have any fun Ideas? Anchorages are preferable, but moorings are great too. We generally like going places that are peaceful, quiet, and calm. Places we can swim and enjoy some natural beauty (Living in the city- we all really need an escape!). But I also love stopping in cute towns and exploring, docking and dining, and having a few drinks ashore.

The boat is 34' (A Catalina 34) and draws about 5'. We can anchor some distance from the shore/destination if needed though. I've got a good dinghy with a pretty reliable outboard.

Any hidden gems you guys are willing to let me in on? I promise to be a good neighbor and bring the rum!
ThreadenSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 11:28   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: Fun Overnight stops near NYC

Try, Great Kills Harbor - Staten Island for a Dock and Dine. Pick up a guest mooring and there are several good restaurants and an outdoor Tiki bar w/ good food.
Richmond county Yacht club should let you pick up a mooring for lunch, and bring you in. Otherwise there's room to anchor and dinghy ashore. Tiki Bar has a great Tenderloin sandwich. Fish Tacos are good too. Beaches are walkable.

If you watch your depth you should be able to duck behind Hoffman and Swinburne islands. Look at a chart.

Keyport Harbor - Same as above. It would be a full day if you include lunch. Easier if you can time the currents. Lot's of good places to eat in town. The Fishery for take out seafood, Burlews has a great outdoor deck and good food, Nemo for Sushi, Irish Pub.

I've anchored off Keyport to swim.

If you're over-nighting then both are easy sails from 79th street in a day and then back the next day.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:27   #3

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk1
Smile Re: Fun Overnight stops near NYC

Thanks, those are great ideas. We ended up sailing down to Sandy Hook for some beautiful beach time yesterday. But on the way back maybe we will hit up Great Kills. Always wondered if it was worth the stop! Appreciate the advice
ThreadenSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:25   #4

YW. Richmond county YC is on Ch. 9 . The channel is clearly marked, runs close to shore but is plenty deep. Stay to port once inside to get to the YC, Ask for a guest mooring, or anchor at the far end near the boat launch. Power boats, don't typically slow down in channel, but no biggie. You can circle the whole basin around the perimeter. Just watch the shoal in the middle. ( it's where few or no boats are)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:12   #5
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

If you pick a weekend with the tides right it is a quick trip down the river and up the east side. Not coordinated of course is a true misery.
Two stops
1) Stop at the Worlds fair Marina and take in a Mets game. The marina is a nice surprise in an urban setting.
2) Overnight at City Island; several very accomodating yacht clubs offer moorings. Harlem YC is my favorite but City Island YC and Morris YC are very nice as well. Lots of restaurants and the home of a lot of yachting history

Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:45   #6

Up the Hudson about 30 miles or so is Croton Point on Haverstraw bay. Anchor off the park. Sometimes busy on weekends, though most boats leave by 6pm and it is quiet overnight.
Check the tides and time your passages so you get a favorable boost each way.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29   #7

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
YW. Richmond county YC is on Ch. 9 . The channel is clearly marked, runs close to shore but is plenty deep. Stay to port once inside to get to the YC, Ask for a guest mooring, or anchor at the far end near the boat launch. Power boats, don't typically slow down in channel, but no biggie. You can circle the whole basin around the perimeter. Just watch the shoal in the middle. ( it's where few or no boats are)
What is YW and YC? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:40   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory, 31

All above suggestions are good, You can also sail int Jamaica Bay.
hrsail920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 14:01   #9

Boat: Oday 25

You can pick up a guest mooring at the Nyack Boat Club on the westside of the Hudson just north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. About $20. Includes launch service when the launch is running, which is usually from 3 to 9 on weekdays and all day on Saturday and Sunday. Town is quaint and club is welcoming.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 14:24   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Check on zuluwaterway for info
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 19:13   #11

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
What is YW and YC? Thanks.
I don’t know what YW is but YC is Yacht Club.
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 19:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_F View Post
I don’t know what YW is but YC is Yacht Club.
You're Welcome.

Tags
fun, nyc