Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 14:58   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Galveston to Belize

We have done it from Louisiana to Isla M a few times in a 42 ft sailing vessel, and it was not the best trips we have ever done. And we had a better shot at it then you will from Galveston! I would sure stay inshore as much as ya can to keep from beating yourself and your crew up!! I think your biteing off a big chunk, trying this trip in a 22 ft boat with an out board power plant. If ya can get it shipped down to at least Brownsville, you will have a much better chance at a Good trip !! just our 2 cents
Old 29-09-2012, 17:52   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
As usual, well written. PLEASE take this advice.
Thanks much. I too sincerely hope that the OP is paying attention to the advise offered here.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 18:10   #18

Those folks gently warning you are quite correct. Your plan is plain CRAZY.

Let's see: a newbie sailing a new-to-him boat across treacherous waters? Hmmm... Might want to think really hard about this.

I had a C22 in the early-mid 80s. We had heavy winds in the sheltered California Delta, winds behind us and we got whipped. And we were at your level of knowledge back then.

I wouldn't do that in our C34. Some may have, who know the waters and the weather, a LOT better than you've exhibited.

You really need to get to the point of where you don't have to ask this question. Then, and only then, you should go.

Get some practice in, and you'll answer your own question.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:03   #19

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Thanks much. I too sincerely hope that the OP is paying attention to the advise offered here.
I'm hoping we've gotten the OP to reconsider. We are discussing taking our boat from Port Aransas to Isla Mujeras next fall. We are 47' and nearly 40,000 lbs, and I'm not looking forward to that crossing.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 17:59   #20

Boat: 1975 Catalina 22'

thanks everyone, i appreciate the feedback. advice taken.
essail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 17:18   #21

I am very interested in the status of this planned trip. I am used to incredibly rugged conditions and currently death does not scare me (I hope that doesn't sound to dramatic).

In any case have you taken the advice of sailing along the coast for a test trip yet? Do you still have a crew of three going with you? When were/are you planning on making this trip?

Thanks.
Colincard86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 18:00   #22

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colincard86 View Post
...I am used to incredibly rugged conditions and currently death does not scare me (I hope that doesn't sound to dramatic). Thanks.
Hi 86, and welcome to the forum. A careful re-read suggests the original poster has reconsidered this trip.

However, many of us would enjoy and possibly benefit hearing of your exploits. Quite a few on here are older than dirt itself, and can barely get out of their armchairs to get a beer, or even download in the morning. Another huge group are wimps and wussies. And then we have all the women, many of whom want a man in the worst way. You could be that worst way, man.

I think I speak for all of us in both welcoming you and encouraging you to bring on your stories of daring-do.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 13:45   #23

Boat: 1975 Catalina 22'

Hey heres an update on the trip. I did reconsider and take the advise not to go, however only to focus on my original plan from last year-the bahama's. Belize was looking like more than i could chew, but now I got all my ducks in a row and have set a day for mid april to set off. Might happen a little before then, but right now i'm spending the cash i saved up to gear up. after this trip assuming all goes well i plan on trading up and settin course for a more distant horizon! again thanks for all the input on this thread as i will admit is did get somewhat discouraged at the time it was the info i was looking for!
essail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize